The Student Room Group

Free lunch at work or £XXXX pay rise ?

If you were offered a buffet lunch at work everyday (full hot and cold selection, go up as much as you want, healthy food, high in protein).

Versus bringing your own grub everyday / buying off site.

How much of an annual (gross) pay rise would you have to be offered to take the second choice and bring your own food ?

£1000 ? £2000 ?
Reply 1
That's a bit vague, but I would trade in the lunch at work for a good pay rise yes. I did the same thing applying for accommodation for university this year, I decided self catered, over catered so I could have more money for myself.
How big a pay rise would you need to trade the free lunch in ?
healthy food to but a lunch is expensive
If no other factors matter then I would say around £2500. I say this because, excluding weekends and 25 days holiday a year, I would be working around 236 days a year. £1500 over 236 days is around £10 a day. With £10, I could bring my own lunch or buy lunch, while still saving some money.
Original post by I love shopping
If no other factors matter then I would say around £2500. I say this because, excluding weekends and 25 days holiday a year, I would be working around 236 days a year. £1500 over 236 days is around £10 a day. With £10, I could bring my own lunch or buy lunch, while still saving some money.

What about income tax ? How much of a £2500 will you see in your pocket ?
Original post by MissoniMissoni
What about income tax ? How much of a £2500 will you see in your pocket ?

Oh I assumed you meant post income tax.

I'm not sure about income tax calculations, but I'm guessing how much you'll actually get from a £2500 pay rise would depend on your total income.
Original post by I love shopping
Oh I assumed you meant post income tax.

I'm not sure about income tax calculations, but I'm guessing how much you'll actually get from a £2500 pay rise would depend on your total income.

No employer will ever offer you a net pay rise.

They can only offer you a gross pay rise, for which the net pay rise depends on your circumstances.

Anyway to answer the question myself:

I value my buffet lunch at about £7 a day. Multiplyed by 232 working days that comes to £1624 a year

For every £1 I earn, I pay about 40 p in national insurance, tax, student loan etc. So I would need a £2700 gross pay rise to trade in my lunch.
Food. A healthy diet is super-important, more so than money. A good lunch would make the day.
Original post by Tom_green_day
Food. A healthy diet is super-important, more so than money. A good lunch would make the day.

You realise you can buy food with money right ?
Original post by MissoniMissoni
You realise you can buy food with money right ?

Yeah but due to my lazy personality I'd probably just buy a mars bar and a coke so it'd be better to have my lunch controlled.

Quick Reply

Latest