The Student Room Group

Buss1 Exam May 2014

Thought i'd start it off then!

How did you think it went?

Scroll to see replies

Terrible. I knew everything before the exam but the context was too hard to apply!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by PharmacyDoctor
Terrible. I knew everything before the exam but the context was too hard to apply!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? i thought apart from the last question it was fairly easy compared to past papers.

What questions did you particularly struggle on?
Original post by TommoN
Really? i thought apart from the last question it was fairly easy compared to past papers.

What questions did you particularly struggle on?

It was the flipping case stude that made me mess up. Like I was reading it all and then it just wasnt making sense like the last few paragraphs bummed me out. Then the questions...all of them really. Like because I didnt get a good understanding of the case study I fked evrrything else up. Like my essays where full of crap..for the one about primary market research i didnt even know what to put

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by PharmacyDoctor
It was the flipping case stude that made me mess up. Like I was reading it all and then it just wasnt making sense like the last few paragraphs bummed me out. Then the questions...all of them really. Like because I didnt get a good understanding of the case study I fked evrrything else up. Like my essays where full of crap..for the one about primary market research i didnt even know what to put

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? i felt the case study was very generous, admittedly there was lots of different stats and figures to get your head around but i thought it gave a lot of info in terms of application material.

For the primary market research one i think i made the point that by doing that she gained a more in-depth view of what customers wanted in her products (Focus group) but was done by her friends so they may be telling her what she wants to hear. I then made a point that secondary research showed wider statistics for the general market about distribution channels where as her primary only got the opinions of 200 people.
Reply 5
Generally, I thought the exam was okayish, although I do think that it had a different feel to the previous papers, the previous papers I thought had a very consistent structure in terms of the question and the terms it used, not really the case with this one when it came to a couple of the questions such as "Ordinary Share Capital", it was suggested using this as the proposed method of finance, getting money from shares when they've just become a PLC?
Didn't seem practical to me, who would buy a share from a vintage clothing business that's just started up? Losing control of the business that fast? I did not like that question, and the two main points I focused on were the facts that using ordinary share capital doesn't have a specific payback period compared to using a bank loan, and it also did not have interest on top of it, those were the two things I could contrast with using the bank loan's example in the case study, I'm not really sure I've done well on that one or not..

Hope I can contribute to some sort of unofficial MS, correct me if I'm wrong or if I've missed anything, but they went:

> Define Market Segment (2 marks)

> Define Franchisor (2 marks)

> Calculate Variable Cost Per Unit (4 marks) - Not sure on this one, given the Total Contribution in the question?

> Explain one difficulty Asha might face when protecting her new designs (5 marks)

> Break Even Questions - Had to calculate the new total cost after a 20,000 decrease I think? Then the new total revenue. Cant remember the specific details on this question, but these had to be drawn on the graph and labelled TC2 & TR2

> Terrence proposed raising the £80,000 through ordinary share capital, Explain two benefits over a bank loan - again, not too sure about the specific wording of that question. (10 marks)

> Asha thought her primary market research was more useful than her secondary market research, to what extent do you agree? (15 marks)

> 2014 to 2015, variable costs increased by 10%, their profit target was £85,000, do you think it is a realistic objective? - not too sure about the wording of this question either, hopefully someone can remember the stuff I didn't :P
you had to divide the total contribution by the number of sales, then rearrange the contribution equation to get; variable cost = selling price - contribution. £24 the answer was.
Reply 7
Definitions were basically free marks, variable cost was £24, I for some reason decided to write about how the fashion industry can be difficult to get protections for designs due to the unique nature of the industry lmao. Can't really remember what I got in terms of numbers but TC2 was slightly lower than the original, for some reason when I did TR2 it was way beneath the others and didn't really look like it was going to make break even (probably did it wrong). Share capital vs bank loan was the next one, so was easy to use loss of control vs time constraints to pay back & interest rates. As a psychology student, primary vs secondary data was bliss.

That last lesson can jump off a cliff into a fiery abyss though, I think I literally just wrote about new businesses being difficult to predict numbers for, but other than that they could make their target by 2015 regardless of lowering the price of the unit from 60 to 50 as long as Terrence managed to get the 20 thousand fixed cost taken off like he said he would...

All in all the exam was much harder than any of the past papers I did, though this seems to be a reoccurring theme so hopefully the grade boundaries will be low.
Reply 8
Original post by Rem0rse
Generally, I thought the exam was okayish, although I do think that it had a different feel to the previous papers, the previous papers I thought had a very consistent structure in terms of the question and the terms it used, not really the case with this one when it came to a couple of the questions such as "Ordinary Share Capital", it was suggested using this as the proposed method of finance, getting money from shares when they've just become a PLC?
Didn't seem practical to me, who would buy a share from a vintage clothing business that's just started up? Losing control of the business that fast? I did not like that question, and the two main points I focused on were the facts that using ordinary share capital doesn't have a specific payback period compared to using a bank loan, and it also did not have interest on top of it, those were the two things I could contrast with using the bank loan's example in the case study, I'm not really sure I've done well on that one or not..

Hope I can contribute to some sort of unofficial MS, correct me if I'm wrong or if I've missed anything, but they went:

> Define Market Segment (2 marks)

For this i think i put something to the tune of 'A section of the market which has certain characteristics, eg. 30-45 year olds'

> Define Franchisor (2 marks)

Again i can't remember exactly but something along the lines of 'Someone/ a company lets a franchisee sell their products and use their brand in exchange for a fee'

> Calculate Variable Cost Per Unit (4 marks) - Not sure on this one, given the Total Contribution in the question?

Like lonsdale says, i got £24 for this.

> Explain one difficulty Asha might face when protecting her new designs (5 marks)

I said that it's apparently easy for other companies to copy her design and sell at a lower price and due to the fact that it's hard to prove she's the original designer, and then said legal action will be hard and expensive so she will have difficulty protecting ideas.

> Break Even Questions - Had to calculate the new total cost after a 20,000 decrease I think? Then the new total revenue. Cant remember the specific details on this question, but these had to be drawn on the graph and labelled TC2 & TR2

It was the percentage of total costs of which were fixed, i think i got either 55% or 66.6% (debated for ages and then went with one of them, can't remember which!) The graphs were straight forward, i just took a while to get them perfectly straight which was a bit of a waste of my time i should have just done it first go to be honest!

> Terrence proposed raising the £80,000 through ordinary share capital, Explain two benefits over a bank loan - again, not too sure about the specific wording of that question. (10 marks)

I think this was a analyse question, i gave one benefit was that Terrence saved her from getting a bank loan which would have meant she would have paid about 95000 back as she had to pa 6% interest (unsure on the actual figure i put) i also said he has expertise in finance and marketing so he would help her like he has already done on reducing costs, his 40% will also mean he has the interests of making money at heart.

> Asha thought her primary market research was more useful than her secondary market research, to what extent do you agree? (15 marks)

Think i said that one advantage of her primary research was that she got an in-depth view of what kind of thing her customers preferred so could cater her designs to that, i said one way in which secondary was more useful as the statistics represents the whole market and will be more trustworthy as unlike her primary she won't get biased views from her friends ( i forgot to give my opinion in the conclusion for which i'm gonna drop marks!)

> 2014 to 2015, variable costs increased by 10%, their profit target was £85,000, do you think it is a realistic objective? - not too sure about the wording of this question either, hopefully someone can remember the stuff I didn't :P

I think i worked out that they would have made a profit of 88,000 in 2015 so that means they would make their objective but i said it's unlikely their fixed costs will definitely be reduced and also not certain that their sales will increase to 5000 so although they estimate that they will make their objective it's only an estimate and the reality may be different

So it went ok i guess
Reply 9
What did you guys write for the question on problems with protecting the business idea? I wrote about her not being able to pay for a patent as they are expensive. Not sure if this is right though, anyone else put anything like that?
Reply 10
Original post by sianysim
What did you guys write for the question on problems with protecting the business idea? I wrote about her not being able to pay for a patent as they are expensive. Not sure if this is right though, anyone else put anything like that?

Yeah I put something like that, I said that there isn't any evidence in the case study about Asha's financial position at all, so using the information about her degree course, I said she may have just finished or may still be paying off her degree, so she might not be financially capable of funding a patent every time she brings out a new idea, on the share capital question I linked this point by saying that the money she saved on not having the interest from a bank loan, she could reinvest into the business or put towards funding patents to protect her ideas.

Did not get £24, I didn't do the second part of that question it seems, cant even remember what I put for the percentage of the total costs which were fixed... :mad:

Think I'll be alright for the last question if I said that the gap between her actual profit and target profit may have been large? I went on to say that she could use strategies to increase her profit yield by using a strategy such as diversification to attract new customers from new markets?

My second point was linked with the first point, I said that she could increase their product portfolio to give customers more variety of products to purchase and not limit their customer base by only targeting those who wanted to buy the vintage clothing, therefore again, they can yield profit from another area which further shortens the gap between their actual profit and target profit, I wasn't sure whether I did the profit calculation right you see...
my third and final paragraph the evaluation didn't go well, didn't have time to actually say I thought it was realistic, but I said that meeting the target profit objective depends on how well she can use other strategies to cover any losses in profit that could cause her not to meet the target.

That last question was not my strongest question by a long shot, I skewed my timing and rushed it but I didn't do terrible on it, the main mark loss I can see on that question would come from the poor evaluation I thought?

Apart from those I found the rest of the paper good, I liked the primary market research one because I thought it was quite clear to see that she retrieved more information from her own primary market research than her secondary as her secondary gave 2 bits of information which was the falling retail store trend, and the rising online trend which can be linked to her expanding her business as an online store could potentially be available internationally should she choose to do that.

Her primary supported that indication of a rising online trend as 87% of people were willing to buy online, also with the focus group and the large sample size she had etc etc, my evaluation decision agreed with her when she said her primary market research was more useful, although I did say that her secondary backed up her primary.
Reply 11
Original post by Rem0rse
Yeah I put something like that, I said that there isn't any evidence in the case study about Asha's financial position at all, so using the information about her degree course, I said she may have just finished or may still be paying off her degree, so she might not be financially capable of funding a patent every time she brings out a new idea, on the share capital question I linked this point by saying that the money she saved on not having the interest from a bank loan, she could reinvest into the business or put towards funding patents to protect her ideas.

Did not get £24, I didn't do the second part of that question it seems, cant even remember what I put for the percentage of the total costs which were fixed... :mad:

Think I'll be alright for the last question if I said that the gap between her actual profit and target profit may have been large? I went on to say that she could use strategies to increase her profit yield by using a strategy such as diversification to attract new customers from new markets?

My second point was linked with the first point, I said that she could increase their product portfolio to give customers more variety of products to purchase and not limit their customer base by only targeting those who wanted to buy the vintage clothing, therefore again, they can yield profit from another area which further shortens the gap between their actual profit and target profit, I wasn't sure whether I did the profit calculation right you see...
my third and final paragraph the evaluation didn't go well, didn't have time to actually say I thought it was realistic, but I said that meeting the target profit objective depends on how well she can use other strategies to cover any losses in profit that could cause her not to meet the target.

That last question was not my strongest question by a long shot, I skewed my timing and rushed it but I didn't do terrible on it, the main mark loss I can see on that question would come from the poor evaluation I thought?

Apart from those I found the rest of the paper good, I liked the primary market research one because I thought it was quite clear to see that she retrieved more information from her own primary market research than her secondary as her secondary gave 2 bits of information which was the falling retail store trend, and the rising online trend which can be linked to her expanding her business as an online store could potentially be available internationally should she choose to do that.

Her primary supported that indication of a rising online trend as 87% of people were willing to buy online, also with the focus group and the large sample size she had etc etc, my evaluation decision agreed with her when she said her primary market research was more useful, although I did say that her secondary backed up her primary.

For the protection of ideas i think i was right in saying that it should have been to do with the expensive legal cost if other companies copied her idea, that part was top of the case study's second page
I hated the calculations. It was much harder than previous papers in my opinion. What do you guys think?
Reply 13
Thought the calculations were fairly straight forward
Reply 14
Would I loose all 15 marks marks if I calculated the profit wrong on the last question ,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I did 250000 - fixed costs (minus20000) - variable (24x5000)
Mine ended up less that what they wanted

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by VinayPatel
I hated the calculations. It was much harder than previous papers in my opinion. What do you guys think?

I'd agree with that actually, I was able to easily do the calculations from the previous papers as the information is more clearly given to you, I think it was the total contribution in the case study that threw me off.

Original post by TommoN

Hmm, in my opinion they were harder, there was the equation that had to be re-arranged to get to the variable cost per unit right? I think that would have thrown most people off.

Original post by katy223
Would I loose all 15 marks marks if I calculated the profit wrong on the last question

Not sure if that's true, they can still award marks if what you wrote analysed the situation in the case study and can be applied to it, there will be marks for that because I'd think a lot of candidates will be in the same position which is calculating the profit wrong, they can't scrap the entire 15 marks.
Original post by TommoN

Fair play, do you think the questions were better than previous years though?
Reply 18
Original post by VinayPatel
Fair play, do you think the questions were better than previous years though?

But then again, calculations are my strong point, i don't get them wrong! (Although i'm not great at the essay questions which carry the majority of the marks)

I think the last question was like nothing i've ever seen before it was horrible! apart from that i'd say the questions were fairly normal compared to what we normally get
Reply 19
I think i did okay when reading most of your comments just hope i didnt ramble abit in the essay questions. The calculations were definatley made to throw you especially the first one about variable cost. But from reading most your answers i put similar so feeling okay about it. Hows everyone feeling about unit 2?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending