The Student Room Group

c2 - trig identities

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elmi
The method Braineveriit has posted is an insult to maths. You cannot open the bracket and solve for theta.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't realise that the question was only C2 level and that you could just pick up a calculator.,. but here is how my method works
sin(θ+π3)=tanπ6sinθcosπ3+cosθsinπ3=tanπ6\sin(\theta+\frac{\pi}{3})=\tan \frac{\pi}{6}\Rightarrow \sin\theta \cos\frac{\pi}{3}+\cos\theta \sin\frac{\pi}{3}=\tan\frac{\pi}{6}
So 12sinθ+32cosθ=13 \frac{1}{2} \sin \theta +\frac{\sqrt 3}{2}\cos \theta=\frac{1}{\sqrt 3}
Hence, 3sinθ+3cosθ=223sin(θ+α)=2\sqrt3 \sin\theta+3\cos \theta=2 \Rightarrow 2\sqrt3\sin(\theta+\alpha)=2
where α=tan13\alpha=\tan^{-1}\sqrt 3
From which θ+60o=sin113=35.3o or 144.7o\theta+60^o=\sin^{-1} \frac{1}{\sqrt 3}=35.3^o\ or\ 144.7^o
so θ=84.7o\theta=84.7^o
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Elmi
Sin(theta + pi/3) signifies a translation of pi/3 in the x-axis of the sine graph meaning that the graph shifts to the left. It is not an algebraic function.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is an addition formula for sin (and cos) which allows you to expand things like sin(A+B) in terms of sinA, cosA, sinB and cosB, so the method would work perfectly well!

In this case it's complete overkill because you can work out tan(pi/6) without a calculator and then just solve like a normal trig equation.
Reply 22
Original post by Cool-Light
expanding LHS gives me => sin theta + sin pi/3 = tan pi/6 - what now?

The rule is you should never expand sin,cos or tan because they are functions. you cant and shouldn't because that is a rule.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kers123
The rule is you should never expand sin,cos or tan because they are functions. you cant and shouldn't because that is a rule.

That's not a very good reason for not being able to expand sin,cos or tan. (By "expand" you mean "sin(a+b) is not sin(a)+sin(b)".)

The actual reason why you can't expand sin, cos or tan is simply that it doesn't work. sin(π)+sin(π2)=0+1=1\sin(\pi) + \sin(\frac{\pi}{2}) = 0 + 1 = 1 but sin(π+π2)=sin(32π)=1\sin(\pi+\frac{\pi}{2}) = \sin(\frac{3}{2} \pi) = -1. There's no rule saying that it doesn't work - it just doesn't. It's like saying "you can't flap your arms and fly, that's a rule" - it's not really a rule, it just doesn't work.
Reply 24
Original post by Smaug123
That's not a very good reason for not being able to expand sin,cos or tan. (By "expand" you mean "sin(a+b) is not sin(a)+sin(b)".)

The actual reason why you can't expand sin, cos or tan is simply that it doesn't work. sin(π)+sin(π2)=0+1=1\sin(\pi) + \sin(\frac{\pi}{2}) = 0 + 1 = 1 but sin(π+π2)=sin(32π)=1\sin(\pi+\frac{\pi}{2}) = \sin(\frac{3}{2} \pi) = -1. There's no rule saying that it doesn't work - it just doesn't. It's like saying "you can't flap your arms and fly, that's a rule" - it's not really a rule, it just doesn't work.

The rule tells we should not use it. It's wrong to use and that's how many students don't understand and lose marks in exams.
Reply 25
Original post by kers123

That depends what you mean by "expand". There are perfectly good formulae that tell you how to expand sin(A+B), cos(A+B) and tan(A+B) in terms of other quantities.

What you're trying to say is that sin isn't a linear function i.e.

sin(A+B)sinA+sinBsin(A+B) \neq sin A + sin B
Reply 26
Original post by davros
That depends what you mean by "expand". There are perfectly good formulae that tell you how to expand sin(A+B), cos(A+B) and tan(A+B) in terms of other quantities.

What you're trying to say is that sin isn't a linear function i.e.

sin(A+B)sinA+sinBsin(A+B) \neq sin A + sin B

Exactly!

Examiner's cut out marks if they expand this way.

Students should not expand this way.

Instead she can use her calculator to get a value for tan ...
and solve normally
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kers123
Exactly!

Examiner's cut out marks if they expand this way.

Students should not expand this way.

Instead she can use her calculator to get a value for tan ...
and solve normally

I do think this is a strange way to think about maths. The reason you can't expand this way isn't that "examiners don't like it", it's that "it makes no sense".

Consider the following example: a student asserts that 5+5=6; you reply that if you do that then the examiners will dock marks, and there is a rule against saying "5+5=6". Yes, that's true, but it's not *why* you can't do 5+5=6 - the fact that examiners dock marks is a *symptom* of the fact that "5+5=6 is nonsense", not a cause.
tanpi/6 = root3/3

Solve for theta by first finding the principal angle: arcsin(root3/3)
Original post by Inevitable
tanpi/6 = root3/3

Solve for theta by first finding the principal angle: arcsin(root3/3)

You should put this into a separate thread, to save clogging this one up. In general, a new question should go in a new post.
Original post by Smaug123
You should put this into a separate thread, to save clogging this one up. In general, a new question should go in a new post.

My post is answering OP's question.
Original post by Inevitable
My post is answering OP's question.

Oh, my apologies - I didn't immediately see the connection, so I just assumed it was a new question.

Quick Reply

Latest