The Student Room Group

Failing exam

Need a bit of advice. I managed to blank out during my paper (was running short of time and coupled with the fact that trying to remember a diagram just made it worse) so I ended up not answering anything besides one question. This was a compulsory module which I am definitely going to fail now. Kind of wondering if I speak to the tutor or somebody maybe they will be willing to be a bit lenient/understanding. Basically, is there anyway I could avoid a resit and is it worth pursuing or should I just let it be?

Note: The stuff I blanked out was what I knew (had been looked it over before the paper) and not a case of a lack of prep. All this has stressed me out more for the next ones and now I have quite a bad headache with all this tension.
Reply 1
bump. Any advice guys?
Basically it is up to your university so you are going to need to ask them, no point just waiting around.

My advice would be to do the resit. Blanking out during an exam are not grounds for avoiding a resit.
It sucks, but talk to the uni and explain, there probably won't be anything you can do but it might make you feel better to try. Then try and get your head in a place to study for the remaining exams and try and stay as calm as you can, and if you have to resit, it isn't the end of the world. I had a horrible paper yesterday that I'm going to have to resit, but sometimes rubbish stuff happens. And try and take some painkillers/go to the doctor about the headache. Worrying yourself sick over exams does nobody any good.
Original post by ShadowPenn
Need a bit of advice. I managed to blank out during my paper (was running short of time and coupled with the fact that trying to remember a diagram just made it worse) so I ended up not answering anything besides one question. This was a compulsory module which I am definitely going to fail now. Kind of wondering if I speak to the tutor or somebody maybe they will be willing to be a bit lenient/understanding. Basically, is there anyway I could avoid a resit and is it worth pursuing or should I just let it be?

Note: The stuff I blanked out was what I knew (had been looked it over before the paper) and not a case of a lack of prep. All this has stressed me out more for the next ones and now I have quite a bad headache with all this tension.

Did you have any medical grounds that could have been the cause? If not, then you may have to resit if the university tell you to. What are you in if you don't mind me asking? If you're a final year, there may be a chance they would let you graduate still however if you're not then this isn't applicable to you.

Has this happened to you before?
Reply 5
Original post by Slowbro93
Did you have any medical grounds that could have been the cause? If not, then you may have to resit if the university tell you to. What are you in if you don't mind me asking? If you're a final year, there may be a chance they would let you graduate still however if you're not then this isn't applicable to you.

Has this happened to you before?

First year. I do suspect I have gotten a case of depression a couple of months after starting uni given my sleeping patterns, eating habits etc.

And yes, there have been times before in exams where I feel stressed out and can't remember stuff but never been this bad that I couldn't attempt 2 out of the 3. Had reached the hall 5 mins late too so that influenced it too I suppose what with the panic of not being able to finish coupled with slow handwriting.
Original post by ShadowPenn

I'm sorry that you had trouble in your exam! :frown:
I think it would be best to tell your tutor what happened as like previous people have said, it might make you feel better but I am sure not whether they can do anything about it as I don't think what happened to you would count as mitigating circumstances.
I am in a similar position as you. I had a dreadful exam on Tuesday which I had prepared extensively for but the questions were just horrific! :eek: My jaw literally hit the desk when I opened the exam paper, it was like something out of a Tom and Jerry cartoon!
Wait and see what the result is like and then you can proceed from there with the resit if necessary or you may have passed, you never know! Does your first year count towards your degree? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Mythological101
I'm sorry that you had trouble in your exam! :frown:
I think it would be best to tell your tutor what happened as like previous people have said, it might make you feel better but I am sure not whether they can do anything about it as I don't think what happened to you would count as mitigating circumstances.
I am in a similar position as you. I had a dreadful exam on Tuesday which I had prepared extensively for but the questions were just horrific! :eek: My jaw literally hit the desk when I opened the exam paper, it was like something out of a Tom and Jerry cartoon!
Wait and see what the result is like and then you can proceed from there with the resit if necessary or you may have passed, you never know! Does your first year count towards your degree? :smile:

My paper was easy. I knew the main point of the answers but couldn't remember the details or diagrams that were needed to be able to write/draw them down. The more I tried to remember the more it slipped away and then I just ended up writing nothing in all that panic.

Luckily, it doesn't but I won't be able to apply for internships in my second year which is worrying me a lot. I will speak to my personal tutor on Monday now after my second exam but I doubt anything can be done. At least, I will know how to give a resit abroad since I won't be in the UK during summers.
Reply 8
Honestly I think you need to seek some advice from your uni/doctor about stress management techniques. It's not normal to get so stressed about not remembering a diagram, that you can't think about anything else.

While I think it's sensible to seek some advice for the future, I think trying to put in an appeal without some proper medical evidence is a waste of your time and effort. I would definitely go and speak to your tutor though and see if they can signpost you to some support.

The best thing to do immediately is to do something relaxing, like have a nice warm bath or something and try and get a good sleep. Then you can focus on your other exams coming up and deal with this potential resit later...

If it makes you feel better, one of my friends last year stressed herself into a major panic and ended up running out the exam room in tears. Obviously she failed but she passed her resit and it hasn't stopped her getting onto a grad scheme so I wouldn't add that to your list of stresses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending