The Student Room Group

Am I entitled to holiday leave during a 3 month summer internship?

Say there's an internship that runs from June to September. Will I be able to take some time out at some point in the summer? Thanks in advance.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
you will just enter the company and in few days you will be looking for ways to leave?
Reply 2
Original post by studos
you will just enter the company and in few days you will be looking for ways to leave?

I am that rude, yes.
For my internships (in the US and Canada) they just give interns extra in lieu of paid vacation days. So that's just extra 4% or whatever on your pay.

And then you can request days off, but they will be unpaid. Subject to employer's approval of course. You are not "entitled" anything. Though usually they will let you take days off if you ask nicely and far enough in advance (rule of thumb is 1 week per 1 day of leave, so if you want to take 5 days off, you should ask 5 weeks before).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
For my internships (in the US and Canada) they just give interns extra in lieu of paid vacation days. So that's just extra 4% or whatever on your pay.

And then you can request days off, but they will be unpaid. Subject to employer's approval of course. You are not "entitled" anything. Though usually they will let you take days off if you ask nicely and far enough in advance (rule of thumb is 1 week per 1 day of leave, so if you want to take 5 days off, you should ask 5 weeks before).

So if I'd start in June and want to take a week or two off in August, there'd be no chance of that happening.
Thanks btw.
Original post by rgciucan
So if I'd start in June and want to take a week or two off in August, there'd be no chance of that happening.
Thanks btw.

I was in a similar situation. I had a 4 months internship and had to take 2 weeks off for an important event.

I just asked them if they are willing to let me take it at the interview, and then only accepted an offer from a company that said yes. It worked out.

I wouldn't say there's no chance, but you'll probably want to mention it on the interview if it's important to you. They are usually pretty accommodating.
Reply 6
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
I was in a similar situation. I had a 4 months internship and had to take 2 weeks off for an important event.

I just asked them if they are willing to let me take it at the interview, and then only accepted an offer from a company that said yes. It worked out.

I wouldn't say there's no chance, but you'll probably want to mention it on the interview if it's important to you. They are usually pretty accommodating.

Will keep in mind. Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending