The Student Room Group

Failed second year. Please help.

Hi. Last year I failed 3 of 7 of my second year exams. I have taken all of them again this year but I'm not sure I'll pass all of them. I missed a question by mistake on one and it was about 30% of the grade. I found this just half an hour before another exam so I did pretty awful on that one. And then the last one I had I'm sure I'll fail. I can have resits in September but only if I fail only 2 exams and I have problems with 3 now. What should I do? Can I transfer? If I apply again to another Uni can I start from the second year?
So you might fail second year twice? Honestly, I'm not sure another university would be keen to let you transfer to their uni if you fail second year twice. Universities generally only want to let transfers go ahead if the student has good grades, because the student will benefit the university.

Do you have good reasons for doing poorly in these exams? It would be worth speaking to your university to discuss your options.
Original post by la-la-la
Hi. Last year I failed 3 of 7 of my second year exams. I have taken all of them again this year but I'm not sure I'll pass all of them. I missed a question by mistake on one and it was about 30% of the grade. I found this just half an hour before another exam so I did pretty awful on that one. And then the last one I had I'm sure I'll fail. I can have resits in September but only if I fail only 2 exams and I have problems with 3 now. What should I do? Can I transfer? If I apply again to another Uni can I start from the second year?

What course do you do?
As said, it would be a good idea to have a discussion with your tutor about this, but otherwise what is done is done. I'm not sure they'll be overly sympathetic unless you have extenuating circumstances, but I suppose policy (both official and discretion) will range between unis.
Reply 4
Most universities prefer to have students that have done well to transfer to their university unless you plan to go to lower ranked universities which I don't think will mind as much. Also do you want to change the degree your doing now or keep it the same? If you want to change you will most likely need to start from first year

Starting from first year isn't necessarily bad but there is that £9000 extra to the debt. Also maybe university isn't for you? Have you tried searching for options that don't require university?

If you really want to go to university you'll have to speak to your tutor who'll hopefully give you good advice but I'm sure you won't fail all 3

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You forgot to do a question? How did you make it to university?
Maybe you're not academic enough for university, it's nothing to be ashamed of! Menial jobs such as self-stackers and retail is critical to our economy :smile:
Reply 6
I admit last year I didn't study as much as I could and the exams were brutal. I mean most of my year thought they were going to fail. This year I did really well on the first 3. The forth I thought was Ok I did about 60-70% of the paper, but then the next day, before the next exam I found out that there was a 4th question that I just didn't see. That meant that I missed on about 25-30% of the marks. On the exam that day I didn't do that well as all I could think was that I would fail the other exam. So anyway I spoke with the professor from the course that I missed the question and she said that she had other students email her about the same problem. Then on the last exam I wrote about 2 booklets but I just know that I'll fail that one because I calculated wrong the first part of the question and all the other questions were based on that so that messed up my entire exam. I have about 80% on coursework and lab work for my second year.
Reply 7
Original post by TheBigJosh
You forgot to do a question? How did you make it to university?
Maybe you're not academic enough for university, it's nothing to be ashamed of! Menial jobs such as self-stackers and retail is critical to our economy :smile:

Yes, I know stupid of me. It's just that the first 3 questions were one after the other with no blank spaces between them. The 3 one had the last 2 lines on a new page. That page was left blank and the 4th question was printed on the back. So I just didn't see it. The exam was actually on two subjects. The first subject had 2 professors so each got one question and one booklet. The second subject we had one professor so we had one booklet. The question I didn't see was on the second subject. I would have realized something was wrong if not for the fact that the third question was further separated into 2 big sections and I used the entire booklet to answer it.
Original post by la-la-la
I admit last year I didn't study as much as I could and the exams were brutal. I mean most of my year thought they were going to fail. This year I did really well on the first 3. The forth I thought was Ok I did about 60-70% of the paper, but then the next day, before the next exam I found out that there was a 4th question that I just didn't see. That meant that I missed on about 25-30% of the marks. On the exam that day I didn't do that well as all I could think was that I would fail the other exam. So anyway I spoke with the professor from the course that I missed the question and she said that she had other students email her about the same problem. Then on the last exam I wrote about 2 booklets but I just know that I'll fail that one because I calculated wrong the first part of the question and all the other questions were based on that so that messed up my entire exam. I have about 80% on coursework and lab work for my second year.

I don't know what subject you're doing, but in certain calculation based exams you can sometimes still get really high marks even if part of it is wrong. Say you had a question worth 20 marks that required various calculations, and on the 3rd stage you calculated it wrong. You would lose the mark for incorrectly calculating that, but oftentimes they'll still give you marks for the correct methods of calculating the rest of the question. You obviously wouldn't get full marks, but you can still get some!
Reply 9
Original post by Engineer2015
What course do you do?

Computing. Why?

Quick Reply