The Student Room Group

Work Experience

I'm currently in year 10 and I'm looking for a weekday summer work experience/volunteering dealing with animals.
I live in the south west essex. Willing to travel.
I have loads of experience.
If you know anybody please say.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Have a look on www.do-it.org - really good for finding voluntary work etc :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by A future Midwife
Have a look on www.do-it.org - really good for finding voluntary work etc :smile:

Thanks
Any other websites because I can only do out of term time only.
What is it you are looking for? Maybe find out emails/addresses or even go in to the places and say what you want to do. Sure someone will want you :smile: xx
Reply 4
Original post by HurdlesToJump
What is it you are looking for? Maybe find out emails/addresses or even go in to the places and say what you want to do. Sure someone will want you :smile: xx

I have alteady done that.
Most have been coming back with full inboxes (taking they have shut down) or are booked up for 2 years.
Original post by pphilip99
I have alteady done that.
Most have been coming back with full inboxes (taking they have shut down) or are booked up for 2 years.

Aww that is poop. What is it you want to do? Xx
Reply 6
Aww that is poop. What is it you want to do? Xx

I know
Anything to do with animals. Ideally not a small animal vet or stables
I know
Anything to do with animals. Ideally not a small animal vet or stables

Have you tried any of the zoo's/farms near you? Not sure what else you can do really bar keep asking. x
Reply 8
Have you tried any of the zoo's/farms near you? Not sure what else you can do really bar keep asking. x

My nearest zoo is London zoo and farms are in Hertfordshire
My nearest zoo is London zoo and farms are in Hertfordshire

Oh well my comments don't help then lol. Sorry. Keep trying the ones you have contacted. It's all you can do and soon hopefully one will come up. Good luck x
Reply 10
Thanks for all the help :-)
Pet shops? Petting farms? Usually lots of events including animals are looking for volunteers (although may not be directly related), but for example, the England agility dog team usually send out emails around my university requesting for volunteers during their training sessions or competitions. I've also been involved in running things like the Lincolnshire Show - again not directly including animals but it's an animal based environment. Other than that as far as I'm aware ZSL no longer offer work experience/volunteer positions and any zoo generally has a ridiculous waiting list - I applied for a 2015 position for Yorkshire Wildlife Park last year! The main source of my experience pre-college was from working in kennels as they're always eager for volunteers and then branched out to farm animals and exotics while at college.
Reply 12
Original post by jadeleewarren
Pet shops? Petting farms? Usually lots of events including animals are looking for volunteers (although may not be directly related), but for example, the England agility dog team usually send out emails around my university requesting for volunteers during their training sessions or competitions. I've also been involved in running things like the Lincolnshire Show - again not directly including animals but it's an animal based environment. Other than that as far as I'm aware ZSL no longer offer work experience/volunteer positions and any zoo generally has a ridiculous waiting list - I applied for a 2015 position for Yorkshire Wildlife Park last year! The main source of my experience pre-college was from working in kennels as they're always eager for volunteers and then branched out to farm animals and exotics while at college.

Thanks for the reply
Are you a current vet student?
Thanks for the reply
Are you a current vet student?

You're welcome :smile:
I'm a Zoo Biology student and completed the Extended Diploma in Animal Management previous to that.
Reply 14
You're welcome :smile:
I'm a Zoo Biology student and completed the Extended Diploma in Animal Management previous to that.

Ok.
Is the application process as bad as what everyone says for animal degrees?
I'm currently in year 10 and I'm looking for a weekday summer work experience. I live in the south east. I have loads of experience.
If you know anybody please say.
Thanks

What sort of jobs/career area you thinking of doing work experience in?
Reply 16
Original post by Emma:-)
What sort of jobs/career area you thinking of doing work experience in?

Animal
ideally not a small animal vet practice or stables/rriding school
Ok.
Is the application process as bad as what everyone says for animal degrees?

Depends what you mean by bad? On my course I think there were 6 people applying per position actually available. Although they're also a lot more scientific than people imagine and before my first year ended nearly half of the course had dropped out.
Reply 18
Depends what you mean by bad? On my course I think there were 6 people applying per position actually available. Although they're also a lot more scientific than people imagine and before my first year ended nearly half of the course had dropped out.

Interview process etc.
For most vet courses I think it's about 10.
I'm prepared for high amountz of science and revision, nor just fun animal stuff
Interview process etc.
For most vet courses I think it's about 10.
I'm prepared for high amountz of science and revision, nor just fun animal stuff

Oh, I don't know. I didn't have to have an interview for my course, but I can imagine so as vet courses are so highly sought after.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending