The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Third year at University of Nottingham

I was wondering, is it possible for me to bring my second year grades up with third year exams? I really want a 2:1, and I got a 2:1 in my autumn semester but I don't think I'll be able to do as well in my spring exams :/ So I was just wondering what you guys think. I've heard that third year is very hard, and most people use their second year grades to balance out third year, so I'm feeling really disheartened :/ I appreciate any advice :smile:
Reply 1
I think it is possible to bring them forward. But then again I've heard some people say that it depends on what course you're doing too..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Momokasim
I think it is possible to bring them forward. But then again I've heard some people say that it depends on what course you're doing too..

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good then :smile: I do Human Genetics, we have less exams next year so I was hoping I'd have more time to revise, you know? But we also have a third year project :/
Reply 3
Oh nice :smile: I do biochem :smile: we might have done the same or similar modules at some point :smile: yeah next year I have 4 modules and a project too. Less exams but more work lol. We get the project after Christmas I think and then we have to hand it in at Easter. About revision, I think we will have the same time as we have this year she to the project. With the project though it's laboratory work as well as a 'short' 6000 word essay. Well for me it is. Not sure about you though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Momokasim
Oh nice :smile: I do biochem :smile: we might have done the same or similar modules at some point :smile: yeah next year I have 4 modules and a project too. Less exams but more work lol. We get the project after Christmas I think and then we have to hand it in at Easter. About revision, I think we will have the same time as we have this year she to the project. With the project though it's laboratory work as well as a 'short' 6000 word essay. Well for me it is. Not sure about you though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh cool, I did a Fundamentals of Biochemistry module last year, it was really interesting :smile: Are you enjoying your course? Yeah, mine is very similar :smile: We picked our areas that we want the project to be about, like Immunobiology or Developmental Biology, and I think they'll let us know in September what area we've got :smile: Can I ask, do you by any chance know what the third is worth, in terms of percentage? :/ I can't find it on the University's website for my course :/
Reply 5
Oh nice :smile: what did you have to learn in it, like just the basics if biochemistry?
Yes it am actually. Although some of the lectures are really boring and can drag along lol. I have one exam left for the end of my second year which is next Friday and it's a hard module :frown: on cancer mutation and genetics :frown:.
Yeah so did we. I think I picked something on leukaemia cells. I can't remember now. Immunology is interesting I like that we have done a few lectures on that. One if our core modules is on immunology and virology next year :smile:
About what we picked I think they will tell us in July or August by sending an email to everyone.
Yes, first year is worth 40%, second year is worth 50% and third year is worth 60% :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I've just replied to one of your other threads saying third year counts as 70% on your course, compared to 30% for second year.

So let's say you got 55% in second year; you could get a 2:1 by averaging 62% in third year.
If you got 50% in second year; you could get a 2:1 by averaging 64% in third year.

Equally, if you did better in these exams than expected and averaged say 62% this year, you would only need to average 59% next year to get a 2:1.

It really depends what mark you come out with this year, but averaging a mid-2:1 in final year is certainly possible to bring your grade up. It would just mean a bit more knuckling down. It's 9 months in which you might need to work a bit harder, but it'd be worth it in the end :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending