The Student Room Group

Edexcel Physics Unit 1 - 20th May 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Misc1
what was the last question about?

The last question invoked Hookes law if i am correct, but it was hard because of the way it was written. It also involved abit of chemistry but i found it was GCSE level so kinda common sense.
Reply 41
Original post by Nina95
Yes, it asked about relevant speed though?

I think its todo with if the cyclist is traveling faster than the air flow then the air flow becomes turbulent, don't take my word i could be wrong :smile:
I'm worried... I did the paper today and found it rather easy... I'm either a genius or messed up horribly... (probably the latter)..
I don't think the questions were hard, they were just more abstract, a trend I've noticed in newer papers. The basic physics was fine, it was just a matter of ignoring all the ted herrings (like the fact that there were helium atoms, just think of it as a spring).

Maybe because I was doing this as a resit (got a D in the january paper last year), but I really didn't think that paper was too bad, it was just different.
Original post by matthewrcastro
Basically you draw the 1.1 ms-1 horizontally and draw the 1.5ms-1 to the left of it at an angle of 115 degrees then draw the line from the 2 points measure this and you should get resultant velocity and measure the angle to horizontal on the right of the triangle

OMG I drew the right diagram but written the wrong magnitude of velocity.... how many marks will I lose?
Original post by chermaine123
OMG I drew the right diagram but written the wrong magnitude of velocity.... how many marks will I lose?

Haha I did the same thing XD I got 115 degrees but now realising I had to use that to get the horizontal angle .... *facepalm*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by Stonr
I think its todo with if the cyclist is traveling faster than the air flow then the air flow becomes turbulent, don't take my word i could be wrong :smile:

I guess you are right. we had to tell that turbulent flow is actually disturbed flow and has greater speed than laminar flow but moves in different directions. this is why the lead cyclist only has 1/3 of the energy of the cyclists behind him. its common sense to be honest. like motorbike racers prefer being side to side of each other coz if they stay behind eachother they might end up being the last position coz the turbalence is very high.
Reply 47
any idea about the grade boundaries. ik it will be low. but do you guys think it will be lower than last year's? coz I screwed up the mcqs didnt have time to spend more than a minute on them lol. Im still scoring 57/80 so yeah please do lemme know about what you guys think about the grade boundaries.
Reply 48
Original post by Jaydude
Haha I did the same thing XD I got 115 degrees but now realising I had to use that to get the horizontal angle .... *facepalm*

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol I think the angle was nearly 15 degrees.
Original post by SaadZia
any idea about the grade boundaries. ik it will be low. but do you guys think it will be lower than last year's? coz I screwed up the mcqs didnt have time to spend more than a minute on them lol. Im still scoring 57/80 so yeah please do lemme know about what you guys think about the grade boundaries.

Saad zia did you saw the model paper?

I think answer to mcq 10 is C. Because using the card we are finding the average velocities at two instants (light gates). But as we know g on earth is high the velocity is changing at every instant.
(edited 9 years ago)
Newton's Third law as the gass being expelled exerted a force on the air/water (take your pick) in the opposite direction to travel means that the air/water applied a force to piece x. Then newtons first as this force creates an unbalance in the forces resulting in an acceleration in the direction of travel of piece x.

That's what I put anyway... Sorry if you already had a reply know it's a bit late but I couldn't find one
Reply 52
Original post by razarafique
I think answer to mcq 10 is C. Because using the card we are find the average velocities at two instants (light gates). But as we know g on earth is high the velocity is changing at every instant.

yeh i think that's right - thats' what i wrote anyway so hope it is!
I don't think gas applied force on water or air. It applies a direct force on the solid X. If you see how aeroplanes engines work, you will find the analogy between this and aeroplane engine. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA699AKxT7s
Original post by Catb97
yeh i think that's right - thats' what i wrote anyway so hope it is!

I also think that his answer of 15 (b) is wrong and as well of 19 (a).
hey guys if I got 4P in that power question , does it mean I lose all 3 marks? or do I still get 1?
Original post by chermaine123
hey guys if I got 4P in that power question , does it mean I lose all 3 marks? or do I still get 1?

If you did some working you will get 1 and may be even 2.
Any1 else cry over how gutted they were about it???

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the who equations question. where you had to make like a formula for upthrust and stuff, for all of it used the wrong volume of a sphere, do you think i might get like follow through marks for late question or is that 0/6?
Original post by SilentSeraph
I'm worried... I did the paper today and found it rather easy... I'm either a genius or messed up horribly... (probably the latter)..
I don't think the questions were hard, they were just more abstract, a trend I've noticed in newer papers. The basic physics was fine, it was just a matter of ignoring all the ted herrings (like the fact that there were helium atoms, just think of it as a spring).

Maybe because I was doing this as a resit (got a D in the january paper last year), but I really didn't think that paper was too bad, it was just different.

Thank goodness for that, I though it went ok too but haven't found anyone who didn't say it was horrible I though it was just me, like you though it was a retake and think having done A2 really helped. Simple physics in weird questions.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending