The Student Room Group

help... a bit uncertain

hi guys i just did my first unit of government and politics AS and i thought it went really well. however when speaking to my friends... well they thought something else. I found the entire paper in general pretty good apart from this one question which was "assess the criticisms of political parties in British politics" For this my initial thought was "negatives" just the negatives. so i had a good 4-5 points AGAINST the parties. However one of my friends wrote about positives as well.... so im worried that il lose 50% of the marks just because of that... so whos right? does assess mean assess JUST the criticisms of parties or both positives and negatives? please help, i was really confident at first and now i dont know how to feel as the grade boundaries for this exam are already normally very high. Also if i was wrong how many marks would i get out of 30 (considering i spoke about 4/5 points and around 2 and a half sides of paper). thanks!
Original post by daalchaval
hi guys i just did my first unit of government and politics AS and i thought it went really well. however when speaking to my friends... well they thought something else. I found the entire paper in general pretty good apart from this one question which was "assess the criticisms of political parties in British politics" For this my initial thought was "negatives" just the negatives. so i had a good 4-5 points AGAINST the parties. However one of my friends wrote about positives as well.... so im worried that il lose 50% of the marks just because of that... so whos right? does assess mean assess JUST the criticisms of parties or both positives and negatives? please help, i was really confident at first and now i dont know how to feel as the grade boundaries for this exam are already normally very high. Also if i was wrong how many marks would i get out of 30 (considering i spoke about 4/5 points and around 2 and a half sides of paper). thanks!

It means that you should highlight the criticisms (the negatives) and then assess them. How valid are these criticisms? You could argue either that they are largely fair or you could say that they are unfair and highlight the positives. Either way though it is how you argued it and it would be best to give a balanced argument. This involves giving both sides of the argument and providing a good case for your side.

So you won't automatically lose 1/2 your marks, if you argued it well however you can not et too marks without a more balanced assessment.
Reply 2
ok thanks
"assess the criticisms" essentially means you need to give the criticisms and advantages then weigh them up

just a different way of asking it, but you need to come to an accustomed conclusion based on the argument you produced
Reply 4
Original post by goldyboy18
"assess the criticisms" essentially means you need to give the criticisms and advantages then weigh them up

just a different way of asking it, but you need to come to an accustomed conclusion based on the argument you produced

but i didnt write about advantages only the negatives. so out of 30 could i possible get 20? i wrote ALOT but just on negatives
but i didnt write about advantages only the negatives. so out of 30 could i possible get 20? i wrote ALOT but just on negatives

generally its about the evaluation and balance, as long as you put in a lot of info and ao2 then you most likely did fine. remember the grade boundaries are VERY low
Reply 6
generally its about the evaluation and balance, as long as you put in a lot of info and ao2 then you most likely did fine. remember the grade boundaries are VERY low

really? are you talking about OCR government politics? last time i checked on average its 80/100 marks for an A.....
really? are you talking about OCR government politics? last time i checked on average its 80/100 marks for an A.....

edexcel but its generally similar
Reply 8
edexcel but its generally similar

hmm hope so generally for us its 80% an A
Reply 9
Correct me if I'm wrong but are you allowed to talk about the exam on here yet? Don't you have to wait until 12am or something?
Reply 10
oh god sorry... il delete this post

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending