The Student Room Group

Is oxfam a form of aid??

Hi everyone :smile:

I'm currently studying for my ocr global issues exam (a2 geography), one of my modules is development an inequalities. Part of this module is about reducing global inequalities. Now I know there are 3 main ways of doing this: direct investment, trade and aid. What I'm dong currently is trying to find case studies for each method.

My question is whether or not oxfam is considered to be a form of aid??? I have a few case studies, but I am in two minds as to whether or not oxfam is classed as a form of "aid"

If anyone could give me their opinions that would help massively :smile:

Thanks in advance!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Tillsy
Hi everyone :smile:

I'm currently studying for my ocr global issues exam (a2 geography), one of my modules is development an inequalities. Part of this module is about reducing global inequalities. Now I know there are 3 main ways of doing this: direct investment, trade and aid. What I'm dong currently is trying to find case studies for each method.

My question is whether or not oxfam is considered to be a form of aid??? I have a few case studies, but I am in two minds as to whether or not oxfam is classed as a form of "aid"

If anyone could give me their opinions that would help massively :smile:

Thanks in advance!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

i guess you could count it as a form of aid as it is there to help people who need it but i'm not 100% sure on this one
Yes I believe that Oxfam do give aid, they are not a form of aid but they do give aid. It's called voluntary aid. There are different types of aid:
Official government aid- Given by a country
Voluntary aid- run by NGO's (non government organisations)
Bilateral aid- one country to another
Multilateral aid- Provided by a group of countries e.g UN
Short term emergency aid- provided to help cope with unexpected disasters
Long term aid- directed to continued improvement to quality of life (aid given to abolish problems such as hunger extr.)
Reply 3
Original post by Hannahdellab
Yes I believe that Oxfam do give aid, they are not a form of aid but they do give aid. It's called voluntary aid. There are different types of aid:
Official government aid- Given by a country
Voluntary aid- run by NGO's (non government organisations)
Bilateral aid- one country to another
Multilateral aid- Provided by a group of countries e.g UN
Short term emergency aid- provided to help cope with unexpected disasters
Long term aid- directed to continued improvement to quality of life (aid given to abolish problems such as hunger extr.)

Ok thank you for this that is really helpful!! Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by tgwktm
i guess you could count it as a form of aid as it is there to help people who need it but i'm not 100% sure on this one

Hahah we meet again :smile: I like your blog by the way!!!
I hope global inequalities comes up now, revised it today and finally it's the first case studies that I can actually remember hooray!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tillsy
Ok thank you for this that is really helpful!! Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem.. i'm doing GCSE by the way. Are you doing A levels or GCSE?
Reply 6
Original post by Tillsy
Hahah we meet again :smile: I like your blog by the way!!!
I hope global inequalities comes up now, revised it today and finally it's the first case studies that I can actually remember hooray!

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha yeah hi. thank you, i haven't been writing for a while cause of revision but i might write something in half term as pert of my revision, depends how things turn out.

that is my weakest topic i think, however if the question is nice i might be choose to do a development one but i think i will be more likely to do population and resources for the economic section and then climate and earth hazards for the environmental section.

i am so happy my teacher has given me this summary of geographical skills, one for the theory and one for my fieldwork. he also said he thinks i'm gonna do well in the skills paper, nice to have confidence but i hope he's right :redface:
Reply 7
Original post by tgwktm
haha yeah hi. thank you, i haven't been writing for a while cause of revision but i might write something in half term as pert of my revision, depends how things turn out.

that is my weakest topic i think, however if the question is nice i might be choose to do a development one but i think i will be more likely to do population and resources for the economic section and then climate and earth hazards for the environmental section.

i am so happy my teacher has given me this summary of geographical skills, one for the theory and one for my fieldwork. he also said he thinks i'm gonna do well in the skills paper, nice to have confidence but i hope he's right :redface:

That's good! Have confidence in yourself, my teachers said I would last year and I did :smile:
I would say its one of my stronger ones, I will probably end up doing the development/Inequalities essay in the real thing cos I much prefer the topics!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
No problem.. i'm doing GCSE by the way. Are you doing A levels or GCSE?

What hahaa that's crazy!!! I'm doing a2 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tillsy
What hahaa that's crazy!!! I'm doing a2 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha awesome, I asked my teacher today for you and he said that yes, Oxfam would be classed as a form of aid.
Reply 10
Original post by Tillsy
That's good! Have confidence in yourself, my teachers said I would last year and I did :smile:
I would say its one of my stronger ones, I will probably end up doing the development/Inequalities essay in the real thing cos I much prefer the topics!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

i am hoping for a flooding based essay for earth hazards or one of those ones where you can discuss any earth hazard. flooding is probably the thing i know the most about for geography, i am really interested in it, i want to do something with flood prevention as a career, i looked up a few jobs and obviously i would have to get experience after uni but once you have that you can earn a decent amount too. i noticed when looking on my blog at the articles i wrote under physical geography that loads were about flooding and i was like oops lol (thought i would have to rename my blog astronomy, flooding and more haha)
Reply 11
Haha awesome, I asked my teacher today for you and he said that yes, Oxfam would be classed as a form of aid.

you seem really good at geography. are you going to do it at A2?
Reply 12

Hahaha Awww thanks!!! That's so kind of you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by tgwktm
i am hoping for a flooding based essay for earth hazards or one of those ones where you can discuss any earth hazard. flooding is probably the thing i know the most about for geography, i am really interested in it, i want to do something with flood prevention as a career, i looked up a few jobs and obviously i would have to get experience after uni but once you have that you can earn a decent amount too. i noticed when looking on my blog at the articles i wrote under physical geography that loads were about flooding and i was like oops lol (thought i would have to rename my blog astronomy, flooding and more haha)

Ooh I prefer volcanos and earthquakes :smile:
That's a good one for working in the UK though, sure they must be in demand!
Hopefully I'm going to study dentistry but gutted because I think there is government plans to cut the salary of trainee dentists :frown: oh well!!! Geography has come quite in handy for all my uni interviews and work experience, especially when looking at social awareness :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Tillsy
Ooh I prefer volcanos and earthquakes :smile:
That's a good one for working in the UK though, sure they must be in demand!
Hopefully I'm going to study dentistry but gutted because I think there is government plans to cut the salary of trainee dentists :frown: oh well!!! Geography has come quite in handy for all my uni interviews and work experience, especially when looking at social awareness :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah i would say its in demand haha. i live in cornwall and the southwest has a great need for it. south west water recently had a post for a flood prevention officer based in exeter, and if i as older and been to uni etc. it would have been perfect. starting salary was £35,000
Original post by tgwktm
you seem really good at geography. are you going to do it at A2?

Thinking about doing it for AS yeah.. along with the sciences. I'm definitely going to do the sciences as its what I want to pursue a career in but I also enjoy geography and find It interesting so I haven't decided yet.
Reply 16
Thinking about doing it for AS yeah.. along with the sciences. I'm definitely going to do the sciences as its what I want to pursue a career in but I also enjoy geography and find It interesting so I haven't decided yet.

i meant to say a levels but yeah geography is interesting it gets even more interesting as you go through a levels too. if you decide to do geography then it would be good to widen your geographical knowledge by making sure you read the news watch documentaries and generally just take an interest really. if you do that then revision will be easier cause you will have some knowledge already
Original post by tgwktm
i meant to say a levels but yeah geography is interesting it gets even more interesting as you go through a levels too. if you decide to do geography then it would be good to widen your geographical knowledge by making sure you read the news watch documentaries and generally just take an interest really. if you do that then revision will be easier cause you will have some knowledge already

Cool, thanks for the tips :smile:
It's a prestigious university m8
Reply 19
Original post by Abdul-Karim
It's a prestigious university m8

I think you misread :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest