The Student Room Group

What's your favourite Burger Joint?

Please don't say McDonald's. There's so many out there...

Recommendations, please!

Scroll to see replies

A barbecue in the back garden does better burgers than anything you can buy in a restaurant for 10 times the price.
Original post by cole-slaw
A barbecue in the back garden does better burgers than anything you can buy in a restaurant for 10 times the price.

But what, Bruv, if you burn them?
Reply 3
I personall prefer burgers from BBQs at home to those from fast food joints or restaurants
Reply 4
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel

Recommendations, please!

McDonalds.
The Hard Rock Cafe is tops. Check them out.
Reply 6
Honest Burger in London
Reply 7
GBK
Burgers have been my foody fixation for the last year, here's how I rate the the places notable for their burgers I've tried that spring to mind;

*Meatliquor/MeatMarket (London/Brighton): Best overall, their Dead Hippy is hands down the best burger I've ever eaten. Big, fantastic meat quality cooked pink, great bun and excellent toppings. Also the best buffalo wings I've ever had and you get an enormous portion for about £6- I've never had less than a dozen. Great value with their lunch offer (burger/fries/drink for a tenner), and the restaurants themselves have a great, quirky atmosphere. If there's a Meatliquor venue within in reach, I'm gonna eat there. I could have tried another half dozen places by now if I didn't love it here so much. 10/10

*Patty and Bun (London): I'm willing to give them another try, but my first trip was really disappointing after hearing it was a potential contender to Meatliquor. Queued for ages and waited for even longer. The patty was very nice but the meat hadn't rested long enough so the bottom bun was overly soggy while the top half was bordering on stale. Confit chicken wings sound amazing in theory but were overly rich (not something I say often) and the texture was odd- meagre portion going by ML's standards too. Rosemary on the chips was also unnecessary and didn't really gel with the other flavours on the plate. 5/10

*AlmostFamous Burger (Manchester): Top marks for originality, long lists of delicious and sometimes wacky toppings on the burgers (beef Monster Munch, Frazzles and Baconaise all feature on different burgers) make for a very different eating experience. The patties themselves are nothing to write home about but the toppings are obviously the star of the show. The suicide wings are also great, don't justify the namesake in heat though! 7/10

*Gourmet Burger Kitchen: Best countrywide chain/franchise. Patties being cooked to your liking is always a good sign. Good size and not overly expensive, and the shoestring fries are among my favourite of any burger joint. 8/10

*Five Guys: I have just visited their new Birmingham branch on opening day after hearing good things about the London branches (I'm committed to my burger habit) and I'm a little disappointed. The bacon cheeseburger was good but too expensive. That being said it was a nice step up from Maccies and Burger King and the ability to load up on a healthy list (albeit rather standard) toppings for free was good. Chips were crap, soggy and over seasoned, but could be down to the huge first-day rush and portion size was admittedly massive for a regular fries. Good enough if you're in a rush and want a better burger than McDonalds/BK, but if you have the time and a couple if extra quid seek out a GBK or, if down south, one of London's proper burger joints. 6/10

Next on my list are Byron Burger and Honest Burger. Will also be scouring Brighton and London for other places to try when I next return, so suggestions are welcome :h:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
add bukowski burgers if you ever get the time.
Original post by S-man10

Looks good, it's on the list :yy:
Original post by S-man10

Looks good, it's on the list :yy:
Good list, and regarding Five Guys, I went there recently in Covent Garden and a small burger, small fries and a Coke cost me £10.95! What a rip off! I know you get unlimited refills of a collection of 120 different Coke brands, but what the heck, £10.95?!

Shake Shack is next on my list, but I couldn't find it last week when I was scouring the area...:colondollar:
Good list, and regarding Five Guys, I went there recently in Covent Garden and a small burger, small fries and a Coke cost me £10.95! What a rip off! I know you get unlimited refills of a collection of 120 different Coke brands, but what the heck, £10.95?!

Shake Shack is next on my list, but I couldn't find it last week when I was scouring the area...:colondollar:

Yep, the prices were a bit outrageous. The double bacon cheeseburger itself was decent and pretty big but not good enough quality to warrant £8.75, especially not when Gourmet Burger Kitchen's bacon cheeseburger is less than 50p more. I can see the niche of being better than Maccies/BK and quicker than a restaurant, but if I'm gonna spend £10+ on a quick lunch I expect better (although living in Brighton has given me unattainable expectations for top notch lunches now I'm back in Birmingham). I forgot to check out the drinks machine though! I went for a Budweiser.

Ooh never realised Shake Shack had made its way over here, on the list it goes :ahee:
Reply 14
I think Five Guys is really excellent. The fries aren't soggy because they are badly done - that's just the way they do them. If it's not for you- it's not for you.

The prices are on the high side, but it's comparable to other things in the market like Nando's. £1-2 either way isn't really a big deal when you're in town and they are offering free refills.

If you like crispy fries, the one to try is Dirty Burger in Kentish Town. Be warned - the physical environment is really basic.
Original post by Clip
I think Five Guys is really excellent. The fries aren't soggy because they are badly done - that's just the way they do them. If it's not for you- it's not for you.

When I went they were soggy because they'd been undercooked. I don't know whether or not they "aim" for soggy, it's not something I've ever heard of any burger joint ever doing, but they were completely limp and had the floury taste of raw potato at the centre. In this instance, they were definitely badly cooked, regardless of the intended texture.

Dirty Burger looks good though, will have to try them out :yy:
(edited 9 years ago)

You're in Central London, what do you expect the price to be? :colonhash:

Personally my favourite is Hawksmoor, while it's largely a steak joint the burgers are :sogood: :h: I highly recommend Hawksmoor for food in general, especially the Spitalfields restaurant :smile:

Recommendations, please!

Five Guys is definitely a place to check out!

Other than that I really enjoy Schwartz Bros in Bath.
Five guys is only okayish. Would only recommend people to try, not for reoeated trips. Think its the only place with free coke refills.

Shake shack get the nods over five guys anyday

Been in covent garden for a long time

Its pretty visible inside covent garden market. Not sure how you could miss it.
Original post by tehFrance
You're in Central London, what do you expect the price to be? :colonhash:

They're charging that in Birmingham too, completely unforgivable :ahee:

Original post by S-man10
Five guys is only okayish. Would only recommend people to try, not for reoeated trips. Think its the only place with free coke refills.

Agreed, it was worth trying there are better tasting/better value places.

Been in covent garden for a long time

Ah I hadn't realised, by trips to London had been restricted to Oxford St and Brixton for most of the year. Need to check out Convent Garden one day anyway so now I have an excuse :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest