The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SirDigbyChicken
Humans are self interested, self seeking creatures who value the lives of themselves more than other animals and are destroying the planet. So I understand why someone would say they hate humanity.

Yeah cos no other species act in a self interested way and to ensure the continuing reproduction/spread of their kind? Any animal looks after itself or its kin (in the case of eusocial species) as its priority, the only reason other species haven't done as we do is due to them lacking the ability to do so. When we give species the ability, such as introducing rats/squirrels etc to areas where the local species cannot compete/survive their invasion is extreme and they decimate the environment. We cull thousands of deer a year because their population explodes, they do not regulate themselves, they would unbalance the ecosystem until it collapsed and they died off, something else would take their place after this.

As for destroying the planet, not really, we may be impacting on global warming to a degree, though we are of course coming out of an ice age, the world has a long way to warm up yet, no ice on the poles is a normal part of the planetary cycle. If you mean destroying the rainforest and such, yes we are changing the planet to suit us as any species top of the food chain would if it could. The Earth will be here long after we've annihilated ourselves via nuclear war or have mostly left it to colonize other parts of the galaxy.

I mean many humans are *****, but I'd argue most people are decent, especially when encountered alone and not driven by some sort of mob mentality.
I can see why people get frustrated with humans, we're a species that can't handle the fact that individuals have different skin colours or different sexual orientation or general opinions, we rarely are nice and kind to one another and we're basically destroying our own habitat. But spending every living waking moment hating people wastes too much precious time and energy. There are good things on this planet and every human has their good and bad points.

It's actually quite possible to get along with people who you have nothing in common with. I know many who are interested in stuff like TOWIE and it's still quite possible to find positive points about them. One of the most funniest girls I ever known in school would have been referred to by others as a 'chav' and 'not clever', but I genuinely got along with her, despite having very little in common.

Also, being an introvert is no way linked to being a misanthrope. You main gain energy by being on your own, but it doesn't automatically mean you're a misanthrope.
Original post by joey11223
Yeah cos no other species act in a self interested way and to ensure the continuing reproduction/spread of their kind? Any animal looks after itself or its kin (in the case of eusocial species) as its priority, the only reason other species haven't done as we do is due to them lacking the ability to do so. When we give species the ability, such as introducing rats/squirrels etc to areas where the local species cannot compete/survive their invasion is extreme and they decimate the environment. We cull thousands of deer a year because their population explodes, they do not regulate themselves, they would unbalance the ecosystem until it collapsed and they died off, something else would take their place after this.

As for destroying the planet, not really, we may be impacting on global warming to a degree, though we are of course coming out of an ice age, the world has a long way to warm up yet, no ice on the poles is a normal part of the planetary cycle. If you mean destroying the rainforest and such, yes we are changing the planet to suit us as any species top of the food chain would if it could. The Earth will be here long after we've annihilated ourselves via nuclear war or have mostly left it to colonize other parts of the galaxy.

I mean many humans are *****, but I'd argue most people are decent, especially when encountered alone and not driven by some sort of mob mentality.

I did not say that humans are the only self interested animals, however, unlike the squirrels or deer that you mentioned, humanity is a plague.
And if humans hadn't hunted all of the wolves in Britain and introduced several foreign deer species then we would not need to cull thousands of deer a year.
And yes, we are destroying the earth which you say all animals would do if they were intelligent enough, however it is because of our intelligence that we should be protecting the earth.
People can be kind and empathetic, however they only act this way to feel good about themselves, or to gain acceptance from peers.

I fail to see how me 'righting these social wrongs' as you put it would give what I have said anymore validity

If you truly believed something, rather than posturing, you would take action rather than just complaining about it, in Starbucks or wherever.

(this isn't you personally, anyone I mean)
Original post by sugar-n-spice
If you truly believed something, rather than posturing, you would take action rather than just complaining about it, in Starbucks or wherever.

Because theyre mutually exclusive..

And yes, we are destroying the earth which you say all animals would do if they were intelligent enough, however it is because of our intelligence that we should be protecting the earth.

Eh as I say, I don't think we're destroying it per se. We damage other species, but the planet itself is not "damaged". When we become extinct due to destroying the environment, it will recover in time, or species will evolve which can inhabit it. I'm sure the anaerobic bacteria which suffered a mass extinction billions of years ago would have declared the oxygen producing bacteria which began to alter the environment as a plague destroying the planet if they could have done. We should know better in that our behaviour may damage our own capacity to survive (food shortage, farmland becoming arid) but as said, global warming is not man made in itself and if we do begin to see such damaging change that we as a species are under real threat, we will engineer a solution, we always do, its why we dominate this planet in areas where really we would not naturally be able to survive. If we have no solution, our population will plummet to the degree that we are no longer impacting the environment in a significant way.

As for the no such thing as altruism comment. It's difficult, I am very altruistic. I put myself at a disadvantage for people, I like to make people happy, to see them cheer up, etc. Now I don't do this because I crave acceptance, I am quite eccentric, I'm sure people find me odd at times. I suppose I do it because it makes me feel good in a way, but IMO that does not really detract from it being altruism. I do not gain realistically, and feeling a positive emotional response when others display one is a pretty basic natural response.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm a humanist that for the most part, dislikes humans. What am I?
Reply 67
I hate people who say they hate this (or the upcoming) generation. Even LADBible said it today - they're part of the culture which caused the flaws of this generation!

Humans are destroying the earth, this being true is not conditional on whether or not we choose to believe it.
This is something I have started to notice; it has been a slight theme among people I know, but even more extreme among online people who call themselves "introverts" or "misanthropes", people who claim they hate humanity. They seem to think their immature, angst-ridden, nonsense, somehow sets them apart from others and think it makes them more interesting, when they claim everyone else is "boring" and "fake" (yet most people I hear saying this, spend all their lives either gaming or binge-watching TV...). I just think this needs to be said,

I for one don't hate people in an attempt to make some kind of edgy statement or to seem interesting, but simply because it seems to me that hating people/humanity is the most rational response to the civillisation we live in and the torments it frequently inflicts on the individual. Afterall, people are habitually self-centred, egotistical, materialistic, superficial, shallow, fickle, stupid, ignorant, arrogant, shortsighted, misinformed, irrational, judgemental, sadistic, opinionated, dogmatic, hypocritical... I could go on all night. In short, there are many perfectly rational reasons to dislike human beings.
Original post by joey11223
Eh as I say, I don't think we're destroying it per se. We damage other species, but the planet itself is not "damaged". When we become extinct due to destroying the environment, it will recover in time, or species will evolve which can inhabit it. I'm sure the anaerobic bacteria which suffered a mass extinction billions of years ago would have declared the oxygen producing bacteria which began to alter the environment as a plague destroying the planet if they could have done. We should know better in that our behaviour may damage our own capacity to survive (food shortage, farmland becoming arid) but as said, global warming is not man made in itself and if we do begin to see such damaging change that we as a species are under real threat, we will engineer a solution, we always do, its why we dominate this planet in areas where really we would not naturally be able to survive. If we have no solution, our population will plummet to the degree that we are no longer impacting the environment in a significant way.

As for the no such thing as altruism comment. It's difficult, I am very altruistic. I put myself at a disadvantage for people, I like to make people happy, to see them cheer up, etc. Now I don't do this because I crave acceptance, I am quite eccentric, I'm sure people find me odd at times. I suppose I do it because it makes me feel good in a way, but IMO that does not really detract from it being altruism. I do not gain realistically, and feeling a positive emotional response when others display one is a pretty basic natural response.

I understand what your saying but I don't think that we can justify the damage we are causing by saying that it will eventually lead to a reduction or extinction of our population, we should be reducing the effects our activities have to the earth before we reach that crisis point. The population should be curbed by adopting one child policies, educating people in the third world about contraception. Renewable energy should be a primary focus.
This is something I have started to notice; it has been a slight theme among people I know, but even more extreme among online people who call themselves "introverts" or "misanthropes", people who claim they hate humanity. They seem to think their immature, angst-ridden, nonsense, somehow sets them apart from others and think it makes them more interesting, when they claim everyone else is "boring" and "fake" (yet most people I hear saying this, spend all their lives either gaming or binge-watching TV...). I just think this needs to be said, this is not introversion, this is is messed up.

Not saying that every who says this has SPD, but these things do exist along a spectrum

*steps off soapbox*

I absolutely agree with you, its just I hate the proportion of humanity who are not english, not white, not atheist, not male, not straight, not young or not a fan of football
Reply 72
I less than three humanity.
It's not nerdy, it's angtsy

they need to buckle up and quit their complaining

Who said we were complaining?

Maybe you're not aiming this thread at me and it's supposed to refer to a more closeted type of person, but I'm just fed up by a lot of people on this planet. The majority are vacuous and uninteresting :dontknow:

It doesn't hold me back in anyway, I don't squat in a closet and moan about the world. I just mentally facepalm more often than most
I'm quite keen on humanity myself. Yeah, we've messed with nature a tad but then without us there'd be nobody to admire the nature anyway. Also, we're the only species in the known universe with waffles.
Reply 75
This is something I have started to notice; it has been a slight theme among people I know, but even more extreme among online people who call themselves "introverts" or "misanthropes", people who claim they hate humanity. They seem to think their immature, angst-ridden, nonsense, somehow sets them apart from others and think it makes them more interesting, when they claim everyone else is "boring" and "fake" (yet most people I hear saying this, spend all their lives either gaming or binge-watching TV...). I just think this needs to be said, this is not introversion, this is is messed up.

Not saying that every who says this has SPD, but these things do exist along a spectrum

*steps off soapbox*

I wouldn't say I hate humanity but I do probably fall under a very similar stereotype to this. It's not humanity as such that's boring but what humanity has taught us to be normal, acceptable and desirable. Small talk gets on my nerves. Why do we feel the need to make conversation about things we don't care about? People who act with false pretenses also frustrates me. Why does everybody feel the need to do things for everybody else's approval?

To be honest, this whole mindset has been tainted with House and Sherlock wannabes who say they don't want friends when the reality is that they'd take them if they could but they're so socially awkward that they can't form proper relationships. It's a simple rationalization.

People think I do things to be hipster or edgy when it's more about not liking conforming to things that don't make sense. Unfortunately, the whole philosophy has become a multitude of platitudes and is now seen as a bit of a cliche.
A majority of this country are thick as ****.

I don't want to hate people, but they just make it so easy.
tenkaday

People think I do things to be hipster or edgy when it's more about not liking conforming to things that don't make sense. .

This describes me perfectly
Reply 78
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
This describes me perfectly

Of course, it's possible that you just like the attention and need a legitimate reason to have it that isn't that you like the attention :lol:
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I dislike a lot of people. I'm in the horrible juxtaposition that I love people...but most people around today are *******s. I'm a people person but the average person is so annoying :sad:

Your name is Tyrion Lannister and you hate people, irony? I think not. Do you wish you could " KILL YOU ALL MYSELF"?

Latest