Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:sleep:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
electrons moving in circles. circles align, summing to create a stronger field.

Div B = 0
cut a magnet in half. Each half acts as a dipole still (unlike with electrostatic dipoles).
wow, I feel like a physics superhero. Go me!
^^^ looks right to me. Another one for b) is a conducting ring, If monopoles exist then one going through the centre induces an emf in the ring. There is always a negative result. I think anyway

EDIT: According to wikipedia it has to be a superconducting ring but the rest stands i think.
And if anyone is in a position to offer help on ANY of the long questions from that paper, except questions 2 and 4 i would love you forever and almost certainly buy you a drink when durham time comes round again.
Talya
:sleep:

Why'd you apply for physics in the first place if you find this sort of stuff boring?
Why does she bother to reply to a thread if she isn't going to offer any help? And, more to the point, why did she even bother reading it?
Reply 8
Widowmaker
Why'd you apply for physics in the first place if you find this sort of stuff boring?

Well, I would find it interesting once I understood it, but since I don't... :sleep:
lakeofcake
And if anyone is in a position to offer help on ANY of the long questions from that paper, except questions 2 and 4 i would love you forever and almost certainly buy you a drink when durham time comes round again.

So that leaves 5 and 7 then. hmmm. I remeber 7 being nasty, because i had planned to do the atomic question and then couldn't and then ended up having a random stab at 5. Thank god for quantum, that i can do (just!). Anyway, i will give it a go and see what i come up with.
Thanx itchyandscratchy, you are an absolute star. I managed to cobble together summat for question 7, its not great but nevermind, but any help on 5 is great. :biggrin:
HAHAHAHAHAHA
Help you with other long questions? That'll be a fat load of good since I got 41% on the exam. I thought you were talking about A-level foundations for a while, and thought it uncannily similar to our paper.
I didn't know you were a 2ndyear physics student, who are you? And good luck with the resits!
Ah, I see you're actually called Liz...would you happen to be Liz from Hatfield, who I know mainly through labs (and bumping into on a barcrawl in Johns once in first year) or Liz who used to be in SMB tutorial with that really, really old guy that we thought might actually be dead?
I'm the Matt that used to have long hair, but cut it and is thankful for having done so, in case you are either of those two, and if not, who are you?
Reply 13
Mattmoy_2000
Ah, I see you're actually called Liz...would you happen to be Liz from Hatfield, who I know mainly through labs (and bumping into on a barcrawl in Johns once in first year) or Liz who used to be in SMB tutorial with that really, really old guy that we thought might actually be dead?
I'm the Matt that used to have long hair, but cut it and is thankful for having done so, in case you are either of those two, and if not, who are you?

At a pure guess this is liz from aidans
Liz from SMB dead guy tutorials.He was hilarious, i remember trying not to move too fast unless the shock gave him a heart attack or summat. And i was gutted with that paper, got 38% grrrr.
Harsh! I recks I only got one or 2 more marks than you. eek. SMB dead guy should be recorded somewhere, the things he comes out with are awesome
"Second order differential equations are like women..." was the beginning of one particularly good quote. I love the way he just lays into people with no sympathy as well :p:
Reply 16
"Second order differential equations are like women..."

How did it finish?
Reply 17
ssmoose
How did it finish?

You can't get enough of them?
Reply 18
They have breasts?
I believe it was, 'second order differential equations are like women, you gotta know how to manipulate them'

I loved that guy, he'd only lay into you if you were male, I once fell asleep in his tutorial, right in front of him and he didn't care. :biggrin:

Latest