The Student Room Group

Proving two lines are coplanar

(x-2)/3 = (y+1)/-2 = z/-8

(x+1)/1 = y/2, z=7

How would I go about starting this off? Also, the direction vector for the second line is (1, 2, 0), right?
Two lines are coplanar if a) they are parallel or b) they intersect i.e. if they are not skew.
Original post by TSR561

The direction vector for the second line being i+2j\mathbf{i} + 2\mathbf{j} implies that you can divide by 0. You can't.

The k\mathbf{k} component for the direction vector of the second line should be equal to 1 so the overall direction vector should be i+2j+k\mathbf{i} + 2\mathbf{j} + \mathbf{k}.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TSR561
(x-2)/3 = (y+1)/-2 = z/-8

(x+1)/1 = y/2, z=7

How would I go about starting this off? Also, the direction vector for the second line is (1, 2, 0), right?

Find the point on the first line where z=7, then check that it satisfies the second line to establish that the lines intersect.
Reply 4
Original post by Khallil
The direction vector for the second line being i+2j\mathbf{i} + 2\mathbf{j} implies that you can divide by 0. You can't.

The k\mathbf{k} component for the direction vector of the second line should be equal to 1 so the overall direction vector should be i+2j+k\mathbf{i} + 2\mathbf{j} + \mathbf{k}.

But surely if z=7 throughout the plane, its vector is 0? It isn't moving at all.

Quick Reply

Latest