The Student Room Group

GCSE Astronomy - 3rd June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Just remembered I did a massive word document with all the syllabus points explained on if anyone's interested? I can't do it now but I can try and find on my laptop tomorrow night if people want it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by dogdogdog
Sitting the exam this year too - got 32/40 in the coursework and got an A in the 2013 practice paper today, pretty pleased as it is quite hard... Out of interest, which courseworks did everyone else do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did lunar features aided and constellations unaided. Got 38/40.
Doing this as an extra GCSE out of school time! I really regret taking it tbh but hoping for an A! My teacher taught us it an hour a week for the last 10 months but mainly been using the website to teach myself. Just incase anyone has not heard about it: http://www.astronomygcse.co.uk/ is such a lifesaver as I believe it has a section on everything we need to know. Really looking forward to getting this out of the way! If anyone has any resources that they've created or been given that they've found useful it would be amazing if you could message me =D
you people are so lucky :biggrin:

state schools like mine don't offer gcses like astronomy and computing :frown:

instead, they make us do btecs
Original post by Infinity_4652
you people are so lucky :biggrin:

state schools like mine don't offer gcses like astronomy and computing :frown:

instead, they make us do btecs

My schools also a state school, only reason they offer it is because they have one teacher who's really passionate about it. Most state schools probably think its too difficult to offer as an option most people in my class think it's really difficult.
Original post by LSEMaybe?
My schools also a state school, only reason they offer it is because they have one teacher who's really passionate about it. Most state schools probably think its too difficult to offer as an option most people in my class think it's really difficult.

i personally think it's a great gcse to have and more schools should be encouraged to offer gcses like astronomy :biggrin:

no corresponding A level though :frown:
i personally think it's a great gcse to have and more schools should be encouraged to offer gcses like astronomy :biggrin:

no corresponding A level though :frown:

That's what kinda annoys a couple of people in my class because they're like learning all these things but they won't be able to carry it onto Alevel. Apparently there's an Astrophysics option in A2 physics but my school doesn't do it because its very long to teach those who didn't do astronomy GCSE.
Reply 27
That's what kinda annoys a couple of people in my class because they're like learning all these things but they won't be able to carry it onto Alevel. Apparently there's an Astrophysics option in A2 physics but my school doesn't do it because its very long to teach those who didn't do astronomy GCSE.

It's exactly why I took Astronomy. (along with my interest in it :P)

A2 Astrophysics advantage!

well i'm not sure about the other examboards, but ocr a has all the :gah: stuff like particle physics, cosmology and astrophysics in A2 :awesome:

oh how i look forward to next year :biggrin:
Original post by _Emanuele_
I'm just revising all topics with a special emphasis on ones which haven't appeared and might just make a special appearance next week such as the possible advantages and disadvantages of discovering alien life.

Is that a topic? I don't think there's much reference to it in the textbook so do you know where I can find out about it (using the Nigel Marshall textbook 4th edition)? I've gone through that as much as possible and just doing past papers, but I did notice some questions about radio telescopes such as how they work which I didn't see in the specification so do you know if we have to know about this still?
Thanks
Original post by ravioli98
Is that a topic? I don't think there's much reference to it in the textbook so do you know where I can find out about it (using the Nigel Marshall textbook 4th edition)? I've gone through that as much as possible and just doing past papers, but I did notice some questions about radio telescopes such as how they work which I didn't see in the specification so do you know if we have to know about this still?
Thanks

I think it's a very small section. There's some information about it here: http://www.astronomygcse.co.uk/AstroGCSE/New%20Site/Topic%202/extraterrestrial_life.htm Tbh I think its mainly just common sense.
Original post by furryface12
Just remembered I did a massive word document with all the syllabus points explained on if anyone's interested? I can't do it now but I can try and find on my laptop tomorrow night if people want it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes please, that would just be really great :3
Yes please, that would just be really great :3

Trying to do it now but it's too big both as a word document and a PDF :s-smilie: Any ideas how to compress them? If not I'll split it into two and post them separately :smile:
Trying to do it now but it's too big both as a word document and a PDF :s-smilie: Any ideas how to compress them? If not I'll split it into two and post them separately :smile:

I think you might need to download a compression tool but as for the process I actually have no idea :s-smilie:
I think you might need to download a compression tool but as for the process I actually have no idea :s-smilie:

Might just do them separately :tongue: Should be up in this thread in a bit anyway :redface:
well i'm not sure about the other examboards, but ocr a has all the :gah: stuff like particle physics, cosmology and astrophysics in A2 :awesome:

oh how i look forward to next year :biggrin:

AQA A has particle physics in AS :smug:
Might just do them separately :tongue: Should be up in this thread in a bit anyway :redface:

Thank you very much ^^ I just really want to get that A*
Original post by ThatPerson
AQA A has particle physics in AS :smug:

so jealous right now because i'm doing OCR A :emo:
I *hope* it's attached to this anyway! I've had to compress it quite a lot some of the images have gone blurry (if you want one in particular I might be able to upload it separately), but most should be okay hopefully :smile:

As a disclaimer, I did do this three years ago and hadn't looked at it since until the last hour, so if something's wrong then don't blame me! Most of it should be fine though, just if you're not sure about something check :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you very much ^^ I just really want to get that A*

Doing this as an extra GCSE out of school time! I really regret taking it tbh but hoping for an A! My teacher taught us it an hour a week for the last 10 months but mainly been using the website to teach myself. Just incase anyone has not heard about it: http://www.astronomygcse.co.uk/ is such a lifesaver as I believe it has a section on everything we need to know. Really looking forward to getting this out of the way! If anyone has any resources that they've created or been given that they've found useful it would be amazing if you could message me =D

Done it now, above post :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest