The Student Room Group

Discriminant of higher order polynomials.

I was just slightly curious as to how the formulas for the discriminants of higher order polynomials are obtained.

I know the discriminant of a quadratic is b24acb^2-4ac and just wondered where we got this result from and how we would go about generalizing it to higher order equations (from what I've seen from the determinant of a cubic, it seems to get messy very quickly! :tongue:)

Also, what meaning would it have in the context of higher order equations? Would it just tell you the same thing as the discriminant t of a quadratic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I think you mean discriminant. For a general polynomial with real coefficients we can say:

If it equals 0 you have at least one repeated root.
If it's < 0 you have an odd number of pairs of complex conjugate roots. (I.e. 2(2k+1) complex roots for some integer k).
If > 0 you have an even number of pairs of complex conjugate roots.
Original post by DFranklin
I think you mean discriminant. For a general polynomial with real coefficients we can say:

If it equals 0 you have at least one repeated root.
If it's < 0 you have an odd number of pairs of complex conjugate roots. (I.e. 2(2k+1) complex roots for some integer k).
If > 0 you have an even number of pairs of complex conjugate roots.

Yes, that was it, doing too much work on matrices gets confusing :tongue:

Right, thanks for helping :smile: How would you go about calculating the expression for this discriminant for a general polynomial?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The wiki page for the discriminant explains this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discriminant#Discriminant_of_a_polynomial

It's somewhat heavy going if you're only used to A-level maths.

Quick Reply

Latest