The Student Room Group

Supplements against anxiety/stress (non-prescription)

Which supplements or herbs should I buy?

Something that has evidence backing it up please.

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

I don't know whether this is something you're looking for, but I've always found that exercise helps relieve stress? It's not exactly a supplement, and you might already to do enough, but it has been proven to help stress and depression, and GPs often prescribe exercise before medication now.

Here's an NHS link as well (I assume they know what they're talking about):
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/Pages/stress-relief-exercise.aspx

Hope this helps, and I'm sorry if it doesn't...
Reply 2
Original post by Toughtee
I don't know whether this is something you're looking for, but I've always found that exercise helps relieve stress? It's not exactly a supplement, and you might already to do enough, but it has been proven to help stress and depression, and GPs often prescribe exercise before medication now.

Here's an NHS link as well (I assume they know what they're talking about):
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/Pages/stress-relief-exercise.aspx

Hope this helps, and I'm sorry if it doesn't...

I agree, exercise does tend to relieve my anxiety to an extent. I have no idea what I would be like without exercising daily.

I need something much stronger to cope with revision and all the other petty stressors in my life. I have constant anxiety for the time being and I need something that is non-prescription, yet quite strong, to get me through. All I am using is propranolol at this time.
Original post by Anonymous
I agree, exercise does tend to relieve my anxiety to an extent. I have no idea what I would be like without exercising daily.

I need something much stronger to cope with revision and all the other petty stressors in my life. I have constant anxiety for the time being and I need something that is non-prescription, yet quite strong, to get me through. All I am using is propranolol at this time.

Sadly that's not my sort of area...

If you think it's bad enough and is having a serious and consistent impact on your life then you should consider going to your GP or otherwise seeking some form of therapeutic help?
i have a bach rescue remedy gum which actually really works for stress
i don't have anything for anxiety although I'm anxious most of my life for everything
While each individual may require different remedies, here is a link with some useful information:

http://www.britishhomeopathic.org/bha-charity/how-we-can-help/conditions-a-z/stress/
you're not going to find a herbal supplement that is more effective than propanolol
Reply 7
Original post by doodle_333
you're not going to find a herbal supplement that is more effective than propanolol

Well, I was hoping to taper and move on to something with less side-effects. I don't want to be on a prescription for such a long time, if there is a 'way out'.
Original post by doodle_333

I don't know what makes you think that, there are many options out there and some may be perfect for this case...
Reply 9
Original post by homeopathicdarry
I don't know what makes you think that, there are many options out there and some may be perfect for this case...

What are your recommendations and why? :smile:
What are your recommendations and why? :smile:

It is impossible to say with certainty without a proper one-on-one examination. However, I would expect Argentum Nitricum to be a likely candidate in a case like this.

Again, its proper safe and effective preparation requires the use of a professional.

Peace,Love,Respect.Darryl.xx
I used to have anxiety so bad I could hardly sleep for several months (and when I did I dreamt about work) and I worried all evening before bed. The main reason behind it was that I hated my job and customers constantly shouted at me, and I let that get to me too much. Now I am working towards something I enjoy (doing my legal practice course and I take some time out for me, whether that's to read a book or cookery etc) and although I still have that job, I just try to treat it as just something that is getting me money not something I need to be super-serious about. Plus I told myself that the customer's were people I'd never have to speak to again and that they're just stressed with the company not me. Essentially the cure for me was: 1. A change of attitude about things and 2. bringing something good in to my life so that it wasn't focusing all on work.

I don't know what is causing you stress, but I think you need to sit down and have a serious think about what is causing this stress. Once you've got to the root to the problem that's when you can try to treat it. I'm not saying it will go away entirely, especially if you're prone to suffering from anxiety/stress, I still occasionally get that horrible feeling of dread just not on such a prolonged scale but it's about learning to manage it and channel it into something else :smile: If anything it has done me a favour because I've channelled it in my legal practice course and I'm getting the best grades I've ever got in my life!
(edited 9 years ago)
Well, I was hoping to taper and move on to something with less side-effects. I don't want to be on a prescription for such a long time, if there is a 'way out'.

there is, and that is coping without medication, read sazzy's post since that pretty much sums up what I want to say here!
I used to have insanely bad anxiety, I almost completely stopped going to school and could barely leave my house, you name it I was scared of doing it, last summer I went to Africa with a bunch of people I'd never met and trekked up Kilimanjaro which I think several years ago would probably have made me literally implode with anxiety - you CAN change things yourself, it's just very tough

Original post by homeopathicdarry

your username alone makes me 100% sure your claim is false, nonsense like Kalms that they sell in pharmacies do not work at all except as a placebo and if you're recommending homeopathy, well there is no strong evidence that any homeopathic medicine works except, again, as a placebo
your username alone makes me 100% sure your claim is false, nonsense like Kalms that they sell in pharmacies do not work at all except as a placebo and if you're recommending homeopathy, well there is no strong evidence that any homeopathic medicine works except, again, as a placebo

I am not about to get drawn into a discussion on the merits of homeopathy vis a vis conventional medicine here: this is neither the time nor place for that discussion, interesting as it may be.

I have extensive experience as a holistic (and by that term I include homeopathic) healing profesional. To claim there "is no strong evidence that any homeopathic medicine works" is simply false.

I have lost count of the cases where modern medicine has failed patients for one reason or another and I have been able to step in and really make their lives much better. This is why I do what I do, after all.

It seems you have already made your mind up about this treatment; I would urge you not to do that. Do not listen to the self-styled "Ditchkins" critics who berate homeopathy at every turn. Go to a practitioner yourself and then see how it works...

Peace,Love&Respect. Darryl.xx
St John's Wart?

I think there is a reasonable amount of evidence to suggest it can relieve stress.
Reply 15
L-theanine.
Reply 16
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
St John's Wart?

I think there is a reasonable amount of evidence to suggest it can relieve stress.

But it needs to be taken carefully, as it interacts with many other medications including the pill

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Yoga is the best tool to overcome stress and anxiety. Because, yoga is the effective mind-body tool.
Original post by cresta
Yoga is the best tool to overcome stress and anxiety. Because, yoga is the effective mind-body tool.

Which poses in particular?
Anxiety and stress are not dietary issues. Taking "supplements" simple deals with symtoms and not the cause.

May i recommend that you obtain a copy of Brilliant CBT by Steven briars. It is an excellent book which teaches you the thought patterns which lead to stress and anxiety,helps you identify and deal with them. Far more useful than a pack of pills.

Quick Reply

Latest