The Student Room Group

UK vs US

Hi, I'm currently doing A-Levels and will be sitting for A2 next week.

My plan is to do Business (Marketing) for degree. However, I am torn between doing it in UK or US (NYU).

For those who are doing Business degree in UK or US, do let me know whats it like. I want to know whether there's any difference when studying for this degree in different country.

I was told by my career counsellor that in UK, the system might be a bit boring (memorising, test and exams, presentation), whereas in the US, their system is a bit more exciting and more hands on, not so much on memorising everything for the exams.
I don't know if this is true, which is why I'm asking this question right now lol.

So yeah, I would appreciate it if you guys can let me know and share a lil bit of story on what its like.

Of course if you have the money and you get a place then you should go to NYU however it isn't really an either or question until you receive a place. Ivy League universities are incredibly competitive so you would be extremely lucky to win a place. Apply and if you get in great, go, if you don't then it just wasn't meant to be :smile:
Have you already gained a place?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by EvaEva
Hi, I'm currently doing A-Levels and will be sitting for A2 next week.

My plan is to do Business (Marketing) for degree. However, I am torn between doing it in UK or US (NYU).

For those who are doing Business degree in UK or US, do let me know whats it like. I want to know whether there's any difference when studying for this degree in different country.

I was told by my career counsellor that in UK, the system might be a bit boring (memorising, test and exams, presentation), whereas in the US, their system is a bit more exciting and more hands on, not so much on memorising everything for the exams.
I don't know if this is true, which is why I'm asking this question right now lol.

So yeah, I would appreciate it if you guys can let me know and share a lil bit of story on what its like.

Keep in mind getting into NYU for business is extremely hard many people assume it's easy to get into NYU (it actually is but not the business school) but it's not that easy especially as an International student.

I'd advise you to go to uni where you plan to work, if it's in the UK stay there for uni.
NYU Stern BPE Admit 2012
LSE BSc Management Admit 2012

If you have the money, go to Stern. It is obviously a LOT more expensive, but the experience is much better than most programs in the UK (excepting Oxbridge). For Stern they even give you the option to do years abroad in places like Abu Dhabi and Singapore. Plus NYC is honestly more exciting than any city in Europe and, coupling with the whole "novelty" factor as a European, will drive you INSANE with joy.

Stern has similar placement in jobs with LSE - LSE might be a bit better since it's the best business school in London while NYU has to compete with Columbia. In that sense NYU is a bit like UCL. But in terms of instruction and business reputation, they really are quite similar in their respective cities. Top banks and consultancies recruit at both in similar ways since they're in earshots of the firms' offices.

If you are choosing between NYU Stern vs LSE/Oxbridge, then you could make a good case for LSE or (obviously) Oxbridge. But if you're looking at worse UK unis, NYU Stern is hands down the best option.

In Summary:

With Money:
NYU Stern =(ish) LSE; NYU Stern < Oxbridge; NYU Stern > Everywhere Else in UK

*based on a combination of study experience, study abroad options, international outlook, reputation, etc

Without Money:
NYU Stern < Literally Anywhere (NYU is pretty much the most unaffordable school in the WORLD)
Reply 5
Original post by TheTechN1304
Have you already gained a place?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No not yet. I haven't start applying for anything at the moment. I'm taking a gap year, so I'm not in a rush or anything. I'm also using this time to do a thorough research on where I want to go.
Reply 6
Original post by lifeisgood.
NYU Stern BPE Admit 2012
LSE BSc Management Admit 2012

If you have the money, go to Stern. It is obviously a LOT more expensive, but the experience is much better than most programs in the UK (excepting Oxbridge). For Stern they even give you the option to do years abroad in places like Abu Dhabi and Singapore. Plus NYC is honestly more exciting than any city in Europe and, coupling with the whole "novelty" factor as a European, will drive you INSANE with joy.

Stern has similar placement in jobs with LSE - LSE might be a bit better since it's the best business school in London while NYU has to compete with Columbia. In that sense NYU is a bit like UCL. But in terms of instruction and business reputation, they really are quite similar in their respective cities. Top banks and consultancies recruit at both in similar ways since they're in earshots of the firms' offices.

If you are choosing between NYU Stern vs LSE/Oxbridge, then you could make a good case for LSE or (obviously) Oxbridge. But if you're looking at worse UK unis, NYU Stern is hands down the best option.

In Summary:

With Money:
NYU Stern =(ish) LSE; NYU Stern < Oxbridge; NYU Stern > Everywhere Else in UK

*based on a combination of study experience, study abroad options, international outlook, reputation, etc

Without Money:
NYU Stern < Literally Anywhere (NYU is pretty much the most unaffordable school in the WORLD)

Thank you so much! You helped a lot! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by pbunny
Keep in mind getting into NYU for business is extremely hard many people assume it's easy to get into NYU (it actually is but not the business school) but it's not that easy especially as an International student.

I'd advise you to go to uni where you plan to work, if it's in the UK stay there for uni.

Ahh, so it's tougher to get in their business school. Thank you, I didn't know that. I chose NYU over USC because the acceptance rate is higher. I forgot the fact that i'm an international student :s-smilie:

And again, thanks :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by EvaEva
Ahh, so it's tougher to get in their business school. Thank you, I didn't know that. I chose NYU over USC because the acceptance rate is higher. I forgot the fact that i'm an international student :s-smilie:

And again, thanks :smile:

Yep it is, it's a common misconception among many people. Since NYU is located in New York a financial hub the NYU business school is very desirable as it provides business students with endless opportunities. If you prefer NYU over USC then by all means apply there instead but don't choose to apply there merely because it has a higher acceptance rate! Just so you're aware - USC has a great business school too!
Didn't know Business at NYU was this hard to get into. I may also repeat year 12 which worries me because I do really know how US universities such as NYU may view this. I know with here I would be ok but with NYU I just do not know. I wish I could speak to someone about this who is well into this area.
Reply 10
How does being an international student NOT affect admissions? It most certainly does. I go to an International school and the NYU representative that came said that gaining admission as a US citizen/permanent resident is easier than as an international student as American universities only have so much room for international students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending