The Student Room Group

Compare the usage of folded and unfolded proteins in peptide digestion, any help??

I have an exam tomorrow and one of the questions of the planned essay is:

Compare the usage of folded and unfolded proteins in peptide digestion.

I'm completely lost as are all of course, could anyone help with this question? Thank you!
Original post by sparklingstar101
I have an exam tomorrow and one of the questions of the planned essay is:

Compare the usage of folded and unfolded proteins in peptide digestion.

I'm completely lost as are all of course, could anyone help with this question? Thank you!

Well you could talk about the folding: So state that primary structure is the sequence, and that secondary and tertiary is where folding actually occurs. Then go on to talk about the bonds which hold each structure in place, and how each might be broken down. You could also talk about the peptide bond and what it symbolises, the reactions that produce/break it etc. Maybe mention about beta pleated sheets and alpha helixes, which you have probably studied in more detail at degree level. Then describe the process of digestion and how the molecule breaks down, which will lead you to a summary which answers the question specifically.

You should be able to gauge how much extra information you need which doesn't directly address the question by how many marks are available and how much you have learnt on that topic.

I'm A-level, by the way, so you will need much more detail than I know of, but I hope that general outline helps! :smile:

Edit: Examples of both folded and unfolded will help! And comparing the two throughout as well.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending