The Student Room Group

Reasons why people convert to islam?

I know a friend if mine who converted to Islam a year ago? She is a white 16 yr old girl and I was looking at her pics on FB?

Tell me reason why people convert to Islam particularly?

NB: Don't write me an (OMAM) essay, just keep it concise pls
Peer pressure.

Confusion.
Reply 2
Because they want to go to heaven, it's really that simple. All the other religions are wrong, that's the gist of it.
Reply 3
Original post by Law-Hopeful
Peer pressure.

Confusion.

A WHITE girl facing peer pressure to convert to Islam? Yeah right! Like she will even have any Muslim friends
Reply 4
Maybe out of research, they looked into it and something clicked or appealed to them? No ones forced into becoming Islamic
Original post by demhka
A WHITE girl facing peer pressure to convert to Islam? Yeah right! Like she will even have any Muslim friends

OP asked in general not about one anecdotal example.

Are you saying that white people do not have muslim friends? :lolwut:
Reply 6
Original post by demhka

Ah. Islam is being talked about alot lately. There's merely any Muslim ppl in my school btw
Existential anxiety brought about by post-Englightenment scepticism about deities. Some people seem to be temperamentally crippled by the thought of exercising their own reason and much prefer having something external to themselves by which to refer all their decisions. Islam has a reputation for uncompromising discipline. After the reforms of the Catholic church during the 20C, Islam is the only major religion which is practiced with genuine institutional fanaticism and I suspect that appeals to some prospective convertees.
Original post by Lotus_Eater
Islam is the only major religion which is practiced with genuine institutional fanaticism and I suspect that appeals to some prospective convertees.

That's a ridiculous sweeping statement. Ever heard of the Westboro Baptist Church? How about Scientology? Those are just two examples off the top of my head of religions that are practiced with just as much fervour as Islam and I'm sure there are many, many more.
Reply 9
Original post by Lotus_Eater
Existential anxiety brought about by post-Englightenment scepticism about deities. Some people seem to be temperamentally crippled by the thought of exercising their own reason and much prefer having something external to themselves by which to refer all their decisions. Islam has a reputation for uncompromising discipline. After the reforms of the Catholic church during the 20C, Islam is the only major religion which is practiced with genuine institutional fanaticism and I suspect that appeals to some prospective convertees.

You definitely got an A* in English?
Original post by RioFantastic
That's a ridiculous sweeping statement. Ever heard of the Westboro Baptist Church? How about Scientology? Those are just two examples off the top of my head of religions that are practiced with just as much fervour as Islam and I'm sure there are many, many more.

Yes, I imagine that some converts to those two religions are motivated by similar things. But, to be fair to Islam, it's no way near as crazy as Scientology or the Westboro Baptist Church (the latter of which is probably better described as a cult rather than a religion).

Islam is the biggest mainstream 'uncompromising' religion and just in virtue of its history, culture, and number of adherents would be a much more attractive proposition than Scientology.

Original post by Okeyiaj
You definitely got an A* in English?

Ha! Thank you! I also got an A* in religion which (I think) was the last time I ever said anything nice about religion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending