The Student Room Group

Teaching about homosexuality in school?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by MostUncivilised
:lol: How common is that? I mean, actually how common is it?

In terms of teenagers who think they are gay, would it be 1 out of 100? 1 out of 1000? Completely made-up problem, pushed by right-wing and religious fanatics who desire to convince gay teens that they are not in fact gay.

How did you manage to escalate that so quickly? :L

I'm not homophobic at all and pardon the cliché but I have many gay friends. Also it is clear that you are the sort of person I was talking about, any hint of not giving homosexuals anything but praise and you fire out immature, stupid insults. A few people at my high school had such experiences, and it garnered them bullying for the rest of high school. Also how is 1/100 children not a problem? Every child counts, far less than 1/100 people are murdered, but that doesn't make it ok.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LSVO
How did you manage to escalate that so quickly? :L

I'm not homophobic at all and pardon the cliché but I have many gay friends.

Where did I call you homophobic? You're very defensive, methinks the lady doth protest too much.

Also it is clear that you are the sort of person I was talking about, any hint of not giving homosexuals anything but praise and you fire out immature, stupid insults

What a ludicrous comment. Why are you so obsessed with what other people do in their private lives?

You seem extraordinarily worked up by non-existent problems (i.e. some bogus claim that people have to "praise" homosexuals or face censure... people are merely enjoined not to discriminate or harass homosexuals, it would appear you have a problem with that)

A few people at my high school had such experiences, and it garnered them bullying for the rest of high school.

Sounds made-up to me. Why don't you show me some journal articles or literature on the subject?

Also how is 1/100 children not a problem? Every child counts you deluded nonce, far less than 1/100 people are murdered, but that doesn't make it ok. Why do narrow minded morons like you exist?

Why don't you demonstrate that this "problem" actually exists, and then we can talk about whether these people (who, as far as we know, only exist in your imagination) "count"?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LSVO
I had to put that to prove to you my neutrality being called a right-wing religious fanatic very much implied you thought I was homophobic

You claim you are not but your own words condemn you. Claims that gay people demand to be "praised", implication that gay teens are actually not really gay and that there is some kind of conspiracy to make them think they're gay, etc. It all adds up to a rather nasty picture

I'm merely trying to contribute to the debate and that is something I have come across first hand

It's hardly a contribution to cite a seemingly non-existent problem, and then start railing against political correctness and homosexuals alleged demands to be praised (and throwing out insults like nonce that are historically used against gay people) when someone confronts you about the veracity of this claimed "problem".
Can we please keep this thread on topic? Derailing the thread, or making personal insults will result in warnings. Let's keep things civil in a mature debate.
Reply 84
Original post by MostUncivilised
You claim you are not but your own words condemn you. Claims that gay people demand to be "praised", implication that gay teens are actually not really gay and that there is some kind of conspiracy to make them think they're gay, etc. It all adds up to a rather nasty picture

It's hardly a contribution to cite a seemingly non-existent problem, and then start railing against political correctness and homosexuals alleged demands to be praised (and throwing out insults like nonce that are historically used against gay people) when someone confronts you about the veracity of this claimed "problem".

It's a figure of speech for crying out loud, for how sensitive people get towards the subject of homosexuality. Stop stretching my words that's simply inappropriate. I am not saying there is any conspiracy or intention to turn children gay. I meant it in the sense that just like Religious Education, in which no particular religion is supposed to be enforced over the others, the same should go for the teaching of Sex Ed. I never said that was currently happening, but that it should be taken on board when considering furthering the teaching of homosexuality. The same happened in R.E with increased teaching of Islam, a perfectly valid proposal that managed to get too far e.g Birmingham currently.

Why is something non-existent simply because you haven't experienced it first hand, please open your mind. Also why are you fixating on that one point, it's something I mentioned only briefly in the first hand anyway?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 85
Original post by Comus
It should, but unfortunately there are still some sections of society (thankfully in decline) that consider it to be controversial...

As long as heterosexuals exist, it will always be controversial - although they may not necessarily be outspoken on what they think and may just keep their opinions to themselves.

In some cases it may be tolerated, in some cases not.

But it will be many years (if ever) before all heterosexuals actually accept it.

This is also relevant to the schools debate as remember a lot of those who may have a say in the matter will be the parents.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Snagprophet
Sex education isn't about sexuality, it's about how we reproduce, so I can't imagine why they want people to talk about homosexuality in there, particularly as there's not a lot of science behind it other than the more kids a woman perhaps increases the likelihood her womb makes them gay.

If we talks about gay sex then that's sex for pleasure and as far as I know, we're not taught anal sex or different sex positions because Sex Education is about teaching children how to reproduce, not being taught to be 'straight'.

There won't be much to the homosexuality lessons other than 'people are just gay for no reason'. When was the last thing you were taught in school which had no reasoning (unless you went to an Islamic school)?

It's not teaching children how to reproduce, the idea of sex education is to give them an insight into sex and common sexual practices.

If you're teaching people to use condoms etc, then surely you're referring to sex which has the sole purpose of being pleasurable, not producing children?

Of course there would be! There could be lessons on HIV/AIDS and other sexual diseases that commonly ail gay people and the precautions of sex and how to prevent the transmission of such diseases etc. My school made absolutely no mention of anything in relation to gay people whatsoever which is absolutely ridiculous.

I don't get where you've gotten the idea that sex education is about reproduction. For one, surely I'd be re-titled 'Reproductive education' and two, it's all about sexual diseases and safe sex practices. I don't know what type of sex education you had.

'Very little science behind homosexuality' There is a lot of science behind homosexuality and there are numerous experiments that have been carried out to derive the cause of homosexuality. Also, it's a sex education lesson, not a science lesson, you learn about being safe, not the production of gametes and the like.

Do you actually have any idea of what you're talking about?
Reply 87
Original post by ufo2012
As long as heterosexuals exist, it will always be controversial

Really? I'm a bit sceptical of this claim. Obviously, there's a long way to go, regarding combating homophobia but this is overly pessimistic in my opinion.
Reply 88
Original post by Comus
Really? I'm a bit sceptical of this claim. Obviously, there's a long way to go, regarding combating homophobia but this is overly pessimistic in my opinion.

A little broad yes, but the unfortunate fact is that somehow people can dislike Harry Potter, some don't think Bruno Mars has a good voice, some people deny the Holocaust existed and believe that the moon landings were fake. It's impossible to get EVERYONE to agree on something, which unfortunately includes attitudes towards homosexuality.

Personally I feel homophobia follows very much in the footsteps of racism, and although racism is still unfortunately around, we live in a world now where it is mainly the racists who are not accepted rather than the races themselves. Homosexuality is following a similar trend, but homophobes are viewed casually compared with racists at the moment. As soon as racism becomes a thing of the deluded minorities (like the Harry Potter haters ;D), I'm pretty sure homophobes will only be a decade or so behind :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 89
Original post by Comus

I would call it realistic.

Like I said before, just because people don't express their opinion doesn't mean they are in support of it.

Some of those will agree, some will be indifferent, but you will still always have those who disagree.

Doesn't matter what the topic is - we do not all think the same.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending