The Student Room Group

National Citizen Service

So I've been thinking about doing National Citizen Service, but I'm not entirely sure about how good the whole thing is. I suppose it does depend on which provider you have, but it's still a relatively new thing. I've been looking everywhere for information about where the residentials are but all they say is Outward Bound. It just seems too vague for me.

Anyone have any experience of NCS??
Reply 1
Original post by granderre
So I've been thinking about doing National Citizen Service, but I'm not entirely sure about how good the whole thing is. I suppose it does depend on which provider you have, but it's still a relatively new thing. I've been looking everywhere for information about where the residentials are but all they say is Outward Bound. It just seems too vague for me.

I was one of the first few people to do it, so when it was still free. I thought overall it was a good experience because I was bored during summer and just wanted to meet new people/have fun. I got over my fear of heights!

It was just an amazing 4 weeks where you can gain a few qualifications which don't really amount to anything much because they're all Level 1. So if you're looking for the fun factor, you can do it. However, as an NCS graduate, you can go on to apply to ICS where you volunteer on an international level (you need to raise £800). That's probably the only advantage because I'm taking a year out and I'm thinking of doing it if I raise the money. Oh and also, my team featured in the local newspaper, which was kinda cool and the Graduation Ceremony was awesome because there was this covers band who let us go on stage whilst they performed Arctic Monkeys songs (2nd fave band :tongue: ) but yeah that's about it really

Ask me if you wanna know anything else (':

I did NCS last year and loved it. It's not my usual type of thing and I was unsure if I wanted to do it at first but I'm so glad I did. Over my time doing NCS I made lots of new friends who I'm still in touch with now as we bonded well over the few weeks we did it because you have to be very close going away and things. I didn't do the summer one however, I took part in the winter one so there weren't as many residential weeks but the time we spent away was great. We stayed at the Kingswood centre in Colemendy, which wasn't great as it was meant for children and we were all 17-20, so the activities weren't as exciting but I think that was new thing they were trying out? I'm not too sure haha. Taking part in NCS also looks great on your CV and personal statement as well so it's definitely worth doing!
Hihi, I'm going to spam you with praise for the programme. I did NCS last year with The Challenge, they're the provider for London which is where I am. It does of course depend on who you're provider is but they generally follow the same set up. There's one week where you're outdoors in a team (you stay with this team during the whole programme) it involves hiking, rock climbing, abseiling (this depends on where you go as this is a residential and different places offer different activities). The second week is a skill week, I was with the challenge so you chose between drama, photography, sports, music and media and during that week you develop on that skill by working with someone external from that field of interest (this is also residential and with the challenge you stay in a university style accommodation, you cool for yourself and kinda promotes independence). The final week involves coming up with a campaign about an issue you are passionate about and this can be about anything, you also fundraiser for a local charity. I'm basing this information on my own time on the programme but it could be different depending on your provider.

I would recommend doing the programme because you get more than your money's worth, it's a truely unbeatable experience as you meet some amazing people as I am still in contact with some people from my cohort (which was 60 people so you're bound to meet someone you like). It's opened a variety of doors for me as I'm on my prividers local youth board which enabled me to organise a community charity event, as well as meet with people from Goldman Sachs to help with cv and interview skills. I've also gone on to be an ambassador for the programme by being put forward to go on a leadership programme rum by NCS last October. Tbh I won't lie to you, the experience you get is down to how much you put in and how involved you are, I know people who left it at just doing the programme but if you really want the most out of the experience then really go for it and stay involved even after you've finished the programme.

Also you can now tick a little box on your ucas application saying that you've completed NCS, it's now a recognised programme due to the things you experience and learn from it.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really enjoyable and very worth its money!
You gain a lot of qualities for your CV as well because you do voluntary work in a care home, do a dragons den style pitch, a lot of team work, etc.
When you're finished you can again be part of the challenge by becoming a mentor, if you want to go into a care related career (medicine, dentistry, etc) its pretty useful. Can also be used towards duke of Edinburgh.
Go for it!!! I used to volunteer at a local youth charity who used to also have the NCS and I even got involved in campaigning to get people to join and it sounded kind of fun to me.
Where is the tick box, I cannot find it!
NCS is the best thing i have ever done! It is really good for overcoming fears, meeting new people and developing yourself as a person! I would recommend it to anyone who can do it! And hell i'd even do it again if i could!
Taking part in NCS is the best thing a young person can do..... It's amazing.... I did it and I would happily do it again.... It's not only a chance to meet new people but it boosts confidence, you can learn a lot about yourself and others and not to mention it looks great on your CV!!!

I would highly recommend it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending