The Student Room Group

URGENT: Can I ... ?

Omg omg !

I'm in a REALLY bad mood right now. My flatmate (I've only got one) decided to get drunk with her 2 friends whilst I was out at the gym. She and her friends went out to drop off one of the girls who had to go home. They apparently met 3 guys at the train station. They brought these guys home.
I found these guys in my flat trying to "get with" my flatmate and her friend. The girls told to me to help them leave but they didn't se so keen on making them leave because they were playing and dancing with these random guys.
These guys trashed the flat. Now I'm a bit of a clean freak but these guys trashed the place . Leaving bits of fold all over the place.

Long story short. I went into the kitchen to eat and was talking to one of the guys whilst eating at the table . Then ,I thought it was really time for these guys to go, I got up, checked up on my flatmate who was fast asleep huddled with one of the guys in her bed. Then I asked her "where's the other one and your friend? " Her new found 'sleeping buddy' then answered that he didn't know. I then opened my room door and THERE THEY WERE IN MY BED.
MY FLATMATES FRIEND AND ONE OF THE GUYS THEY MET ON THE STREET WERE BOTH LYING IN MY BED!!!

I was disgusted and told them especially the guy to get up and leave . I was furious. He had his belt buckle open which suggests that he was doing something shady in there.

I then kicked them all out.:mad:

I really don't know what to do.
Should I report my flatmate because she put us both in danger by inviting men we didn't know to our flat and talk about the bed incident and the state they left our flat in ?

To be quite honest. Those guys could have been rapists or something. I don't feel safe anymore and I feel like my intimacy has been invaded. I mean . It's MY room and bed. I sometimes even sleep naked in my bed.

I feel like it's not mine anymore even after I've changed my sheets .

Please what would you do in my shoes ?

:frown::frown:

Ps:I live in Unite Accommodation Halls
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump
You are feeling quite rightly angry right now but give yourself time to calm down. It was a very stupid thing for your flat mate to do but she is allowed to bring people back to her own flat, whether it not you agree with her choice of individuals.

Most likely she will feel stupid, regret it and be incredibly apologetic in the morning. She should also clean up the mess, I know the mess isn't nice however if she cleans it tomorrow it is not the end of the world at all.

You need to have an open and honest discussion with her about your expectations from her. Many people get drunk and do stupid things they regret, in all likelihood she will not do it again. You need to explain that you feel uncomfortable with her bringing guys back, if it hasn't been discussed before then she didn't do anything wrong. However she may agree not to do it again if you explain your concerns.

This is where the sleeping in your bed bit comes in, completely inappropriate obviously. However your flat mate although causing it in a way with her actions may have been totally unaware this was going on. She will probably feel terrible about it in the morning but it was not her that did it. It was her friend, make sure once again you make it clear that this can never happen again.

Although your flat mate is completely in the wrong, it is unlikely that this situation will occur again and was a drunken mistake.
Yeah course you can, if you're 100% sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok. Well, it depends on what the terms of your lease are.

Some leases are very strict about who can allow into the property if it is Uni Halls.

Unless there is some specific clause or process in the lease, then she cannot be forced to move out.

Having said that, she is going to be liable for any clean up or damage whatever the lease says.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Georgie_M
You are feeling quite rightly angry right now but give yourself time to calm down. It was a very stupid thing for your flat mate to do but she is allowed to bring people back to her own flat, whether it not you agree with her choice of individuals.

Most likely she will feel stupid, regret it and be incredibly apologetic in the morning. She should also clean up the mess, I know the mess isn't nice however if she cleans it tomorrow it is not the end of the world at all.

You need to have an open and honest discussion with her about your expectations from her. Many people get drunk and do stupid things they regret, in all likelihood she will not do it again. You need to explain that you feel uncomfortable with her bringing guys back, if it hasn't been discussed before then she didn't do anything wrong. However she may agree not to do it again if you explain your concerns.

This is where the sleeping in your bed bit comes in, completely inappropriate obviously. However your flat mate although causing it in a way with her actions may have been totally unaware this was going on. She will probably feel terrible about it in the morning but it was not her that did it. It was her friend, make sure once again you make it clear that this can never happen again.

Although your flat mate is completely in the wrong, it is unlikely that this situation will occur again and was a drunken mistake.

Hi thanks . She's not really the apologetic type so I highly highly doubt that. She's the type of person to not take responsibility for things which she may be responsible. She usually doesn't care.

I wish she were as considerate as that though :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by DorianGrayism
Ok. Well, it depends on what the terms of your lease are.

Some leases are very strict about who can allow into the property if it is Uni Halls.

Unless there is some specific clause or process in the lease, then she cannot be forced to move out.

Having said that, she is going to be liable for any clean up or damage whatever the lease says.

Yes I'll have to check the contract . I live at UNITE btw. I think I might talk to someone about maybe moving her to another flat in the building. If she's willing of course. That way it won't really be an eviction.
Original post by shalla13
Hi thanks . She's not really the apologetic type so I highly highly doubt that. She's the type of person to not take responsibility for things which she may be responsible. She usually doesn't care.

Haha sorry I was making lots of assumptions in that! I believe legally it would be very hard to get her to move unless you live in student halls so you may just have to wait it out. However it is worth seeing CAB about or visiting your estate agent if you feel that strongly.
Reply 8
Haha sorry I was making lots of assumptions in that! I believe legally it would be very hard to get her to move unless you live in student halls so you may just have to wait it out. However it is worth seeing CAB about or visiting your estate agent if you feel that strongly.

It's ok :smile:

Yes well I do. I live in Unite Accommodation
Yes I'll have to check the contract . I live at UNITE btw. I think I might talk to someone about maybe moving her to another flat in the building. If she's willing of course. That way it won't really be an eviction.

Well, I would talk to someone about the issue. The management or even the student union rep should know about what to do.

I should add that I don't think they will move her. If it is a first time offence then they would probably give her a warning.

The only problem is that it is going to lead to friction with your roommate. At the very least, she has to pay to have your dirty linen cleaned properly. So before, you complain, make sure you get everything done by her.
(edited 9 years ago)
It's ok :smile:

Yes well I do. I live in Unite Accommodation

I would advise going to see a student advisor, even though it isn't university managed accommodation I would imagine they have advised students on similar issues before, good luck!
Reply 11
Well, I would talk to someone about the issue. The management or even the student union rep should know about what to do.

I should add that I don't think they will move her. If it is a first time offence then they would probably give her a warning.

The only problem is that it is going to lead to friction with your roommate. At the very least, she has to pay to have your dirty linen cleaned properly. So before, you complain, make sure you get everything done by her.

Ok so make sure she cleans up and get her to pay to wash my linen. Got it.

But I think I'm still going to talk to the management team and see what they can do. I'll speak in hypothetical terms first.
Ok so make sure she cleans up and get her to pay to wash my linen. Got it.

But I think I'm still going to talk to the management team and see what they can do. I'll speak in hypothetical terms first.

Sure. I am just saying just make sure you can get her to clean it beforehand. Otherwise, she will be difficult.

I would report it to the management because if she does something stupid in the future, then she will already have a strike against her in the record.
Reply 13
I would advise going to see a student advisor, even though it isn't university managed accommodation I would imagine they have advised students on similar issues before, good luck!

Yes I'm going to go there as soon as the office opens up. I can't sleep in my bed anyway. It feels weird.
Reply 14
Sure. I am just saying just make sure you can get her to clean it beforehand. Otherwise, she will be difficult.

I would report it to the management because if she does something stupid in the future, then she will already have a strike against her in the record.

Hmm I understand.
All this really makes me want to not want to live in Halls next year. My experience thus far has not been a good one .

I was going to say that someone like her won't apologise. She won't see what was wrong and will be very immature/a pain in the arse.
Report the cow.. It is the only fitting and fair punishment for her. Nothing else will work.
Reply 16
Yeah when I got angry she seemed to find it amusing. Even though she did seem to agree with my anger(she made little comments like "yeah he's a joke","the nerve") she didn't really care much.
To be honest I'm going to have to anyway. I sent an email to the guy who the guy who takes care of all these things . So I'm going to tell him. He and I have a very good rapport so I'll ask him what he can do and if it's not worth the hassle. I'll ask him not to mention anything
Reply 17
Sorry to hear about your problem. I hope the staff at your UNITE are professional...

Quick Reply

Latest