The Student Room Group

RAF trade choices

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm due to sit my AST in a couple of weeks. On my initial application I listed my three choices as 1. Mover 2. RAf police 3. Human resources. I listed mover above police as I had some misconceptions and misinformation on how rarely RAF police recruit. To be perfectly honest I would snap anyone's hand off if they offered me any of the three trades but I feel I'm better suited to the police role. So basically my question is, how rigid are these choices before AST and will the AFCO assume I'm turning up to apply for mover. Or as I've read elsewhere, tell you what trades you have gained enough marks for and give you an option of how to progress your application further.

Any help on this would be appreciated, thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Ktob89
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm due to sit my AST in a couple of weeks. On my initial application I listed my three choices as 1. Mover 2. RAf police 3. Human resources. I listed mover above police as I had some misconceptions and misinformation on how rarely RAF police recruit. To be perfectly honest I would snap anyone's hand off if they offered me any of the three trades but I feel I'm better suited to the police role. So basically my question is, how rigid are these choices before AST and will the AFCO assume I'm turning up to apply for mover. Or as I've read elsewhere, tell you what trades you have gained enough marks for and give you an option of how to progress your application further.

Hi, don't worry about this too much, the trade choices beforehand have no baring on your AST. After you have completed your AST, you will be took into a room for a chat with one of the recruiters and they will go through what roles are available to you depending on your score. At this point you can then advise what trade you would like to apply for. Just to make you aware some trades are higher priority than others, and will see you pushed through the process quicker.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ktob89

DJ22 hit the nail on the head. I really wouldn't worry about it. I didn't even put a second or third choice on my application because I only wanted to apply for Aircraft Technician. Having failed the first AST, I started to think about what else I could do if I failed again, but I didn't fail the second one so all was good.

Some people go into the AST with no idea what they actually want to do. They just see what roles they score and qualify for, and then continue their application for whatever that ends up being.
Reply 3
Thanks for the (reassuring) answers.

Quick Reply

Latest