The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

BSc Business Information Systems - Cardiff Uni 2014

Hello there guys :smile:

I've just got an offer to study the course and wonder if there's any applicants applying the course here for this September intake. It'd be nice to know some people who may be my course mate.

Also, would like get to know some seniors and hear their input on this course. Is it 'manageable' to balance between computing and business? What about the final report on which we are expected to do a report of 25000 words?

And.. I believe Senghennydd Court is probably the most popular accommodation choice for our course. How far is it from the department building? The google maps doesnt do justice :unimpressed:

International student here so any other info would be welcome and appreciated.
Quick reply before I go off to bed, I've just completed my degree in Computer Science at Cardiff uni which is very closely linked to BIS. Happen to have got a grad job as a software engineer in Cardiff in September too funnily enough, not ready to leave Cardiff yet! The main difference is Computer science goes more into the technical side i.e. coding, databases etc whereas BIS handles a lot more of business in computing. It's a very manageable degree, I'm not saying easy but definitely manageable.

Just did my dissertation which was a 10 week piece of code followed by a 20k report on it, obviously doing BIS you're more likely not to code but it is your choice. Don't get thinking about it till nearer the time, it's no way near as bad as you think it's going to be and you have tons of support nearer the time from the university.

Senghennydd Court to the building is literally 5 minutes if that, leave your door, cross a bridge and down a little path and you're there. I lived in talybont and had a 30 minute trek each day!

Hope you're looking forward to it, I'm a bit sad to leave!
(edited 9 years ago)
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by burgergetsbored
Quick reply before I go off to bed, I've just completed my degree in Computer Science at Cardiff uni which is very closely linked to BIS. Happen to have got a grad job as a software engineer in Cardiff in September too funnily enough, not ready to leave Cardiff yet! The main difference is Computer science goes more into the technical side i.e. coding, databases etc whereas BIS handles a lot more of business in computing. It's a very manageable degree, I'm not saying easy but definitely manageable.

Just did my dissertation which was a 10 week piece of code followed by a 20k report on it, obviously doing BIS you're more likely not to code but it is your choice. Don't get thinking about it till nearer the time, it's no way near as bad as you think it's going to be and you have tons of support nearer the time from the university.

Senghennydd Court to the building is literally 5 minutes if that, leave your door, cross a bridge and down a little path and you're there. I lived in talybont and had a 30 minute trek each day!

Hope you're looking forward to it, I'm a bit sad to leave!

Actually that's the reason why I'm taking this course. I'm not really a big fan of coding but I prefer the process of developing a system, as in managing it. Hopefully this is the right course for me as the dissertation really got me worried as I already struggled with 2.5k words of report let alone doing a 20k+ words report.

I have seen the place on satellite google maps and I can say it's not really that far from Senghennydd. Cardiff sounds great from the way you mentioned it.

Do you happened to know any gyms with swimming pool near to the department?

Cardiff sounds great from the way you mentioned it.

Thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fareth
Actually that's the reason why I'm taking this course. I'm not really a big fan of coding but I prefer the process of developing a system, as in managing it. Hopefully this is the right course for me as the dissertation really got me worried as I already struggled with 2.5k words of report let alone doing a 20k+ words report.

I have seen the place on satellite google maps and I can say it's not really that far from Senghennydd. Cardiff sounds great from the way you mentioned it.

Cardiff sounds great from the way you mentioned it.

Thanks.

I can't say I've looked for gyms with pools tbh. I just went the Cardiff uni gym which doesn't. I haven't really seen many pools around Cardiff except for the international pool down the bay and one up by Talybont.
Reply 4
Thought of refreshing this post. Holla here for new students taking this course.
Reply 5
Original post by fareth

The university has a gym but not with a pool, there's Maindy Centre with a pool not too far away:

https://www.cardiff.gov.uk/ENG/resident/Leisure-parks-and-culture/Leisure-centres-and-facilities/Find-a-Leisure-Centre/Leisure-Centres/Pages/Maindy-Centre.aspx
http://apps2.cardiff.gov.uk/leisureactivities/new_brochure_online.php?lang=ENG&brochure_id=13

There's also David Lloyd Leisure:

http://www.davidlloyd.co.uk/club-finder/cardiff

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending