The Student Room Group

Breaking News: Military Coup takes control in Thailand

Thailand's military has announced it is taking control of the government and has suspended the constitution.
In a TV statement, army chief Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha vowed to restore order and enact political reforms.
The cabinet has been told to report to the military, TV broadcasting is suspended and political gatherings are banned. A nationwide curfew will operate from 22:00 to 05:00 local time.
The coup follows months of political turmoil in Thailand.
On Tuesday the army imposed martial law. Talks were then held between the main political factions, but the army announced the coup on Thursday.

Political party leaders, including opposition leader Suthep Thaugsuban, were taken away from the talks venue after troops sealed off the area.
Troops have reportedly fired into the air to disperse groups of rival supporters.
The broadcast media have been told to suspend all normal programming.

Full article
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-27517591
Reply 1
bump
Like no one saw that coming, after they declared martial law...........considering everything, I would be very cautious on the situation....I certainly don't like the opposition, I find it pretty silly that they are so upset against the current ruling party, from the news stories over the past year they don't seem to care about the elections and just want to force there way into government. Because they believe the "elections" are failing them, which I think is utter non-sense, its just their party wouldn't win the majority as the other party gets far more votes, that is democracy. Deal with the fact that a large proportion of the population of the country want to vote for the other party.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending