The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature Poetry Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by phoebemc
Do you reckon I was too cynical in unseen poetry?
for 'still raw heart' i said that the wife had left him in a bad way so there were still 'raw' wounds from her actions, i also said that 'still' could be an adjective to represent a passionless relationship and that the father was trying to rekindle a relationship that never existed by warming her shoes and what not.
then i said that the 'key to scrape through the rusty key hole' was quite negative as the key hole was rusty so he had become a "prisoner to his own emotions" and 'scraped' is quite an unpleasant sound so he is dreading her return????
Everyone else said completely different things so I'm worried i was way to negative???

Yeah I said a similar sort of thing to you about the 'raw wound'!! I also mentioned that the wound not healing (after two years) shows that the father has made no progression in terms of his acceptance.
:o:D
Question... What was your unseen poem??? :smile:
Original post by ozmo19
Post exam discussion...
Which question did you choose?
What did you compare it with?
Thoughts about the unseen poem?
and anything else you want to discuss

God did anyone pick up the fact that the father also died in the unseen poem? Only two three people in our school picked it up..
Original post by #sarahsmith

Long Distance ll By Tony Harrison
Original post by #sarahsmith

Everyone doing AQA english literature had the same unseen poem which was Long distance II by tony harrison.
Original post by phoebemc
Do you reckon I was too cynical in unseen poetry?
for 'still raw heart' i said that the wife had left him in a bad way so there were still 'raw' wounds from her actions, i also said that 'still' could be an adjective to represent a passionless relationship and that the father was trying to rekindle a relationship that never existed by warming her shoes and what not.
then i said that the 'key to scrape through the rusty key hole' was quite negative as the key hole was rusty so he had become a "prisoner to his own emotions" and 'scraped' is quite an unpleasant sound so he is dreading her return????
Everyone else said completely different things so I'm worried i was way to negative???

As long as u can back it up...We recently discovered that the dad himself died at the end of the poem and our teachers were like how did u not see that coming?
Half the country would have probably seen that unseen poem. It's on bitesize :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
On the unseen poem, did anyone else just analyse language and only did a little on structure, form, etc?
Original post by Whizbox
Did anyone else say for the unseen poem that the mother is not actually physically dead but rather mentally dead as if she had a mental illness because the boy says "I still call" after saying "I believe life ends after death" suggesting that she is indeed still alive and "still call" is a metaphor for trying to bring her back into normality. I talked about how the father and son are potentially embarrassed with her therefore keep her "disconnected" from society. Any thoughts?

what was the poem called again ?????
Original post by WriterOfWrongs
It's your interpretation so it doesn't matter - as long as you can back it up.

what did the question ask you to do in the unseen poem
Original post by Connorbwfc
I wrote about the structure in the first stanza for the unseen poem. All 3 of the last lines ended at a similar time, however on the first line the word 'dead' stuck out. I said this could be a symbol of their life; when she was around it was very structured and organised, however when she died, like the word suggests, the structure in their life totally broke down and they were heartbroken.

Do you think this is a good point?

what was the question !!!!!!!!
:confused:
Original post by jackyjacob2837
what did the question ask you to do in the unseen poem

describe feelings? cant remember
Hi guys, are you talking about the 2014 paper?? xx :smile:
Original post by Student_78
Hi guys, are you talking about the 2014 paper?? xx :smile:

Yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did anyone do the place poems??