Scroll to see replies

Original post by ozmo19
Post exam discussion...
Which question did you choose?
What did you compare it with?
Thoughts about the unseen poem?
and anything else you want to discuss

i thought the questions were awful as they were so restricting:frown:
I chose the ghazal question and linked it to the manhunt but i'm confused as to how i can be marked for my analysis of language when the question asked about structure and form?!:mad:
Original post by Kevinsworld
Would talking about 'form and structure' more than language get you more points - I feel as though I overdid the structure stuff.

Also, did form of the 'ghazal' mean about the persian history and stuff?

well seeing as how the question did ask you about structure...
in the mark scheme you can talk about 'language and/or form and/or structure'
there doesn't need to be equal weighting,

you did have to state the persian background about it BRIEFLY, but if you went into depth then you wouldn't get marks as you don't get marks for context
What did everyone write for the unseen poem? I feel as if I could have offered some alternative interpretations :biggrin:
I did the conflict cluster :P
Original post by Sacred Ground
Erm, its a misogynistic poem as it portrays disrespect for women. The bride talks to birds etc which gives a sense of fairy tales like Snow White and the fact she is I prisoner implies a sense of the Cinderella fairy tale and the farmer is seen as the wicked step mother. The bride is clearly distressed, she was exploited for her families financial gain, forceful marriage etc.

basically you've said what a lot of people would of thought about, but it is quite insightful. However, if you were writing about the ending of the first page, i don't exactly get how you would include all these ideas since they don't really relate to that stanza:confused:....
Reply 25
The Ghazal question limited you to form and structure...which sucked a bit tbh although I did put abit about language. I compared it to The Manhunt.

I basically discussed briefly the fact that a Ghazal is an ancient form of poetry - used to express the beauty and pains of love (basically I revised what the CGP guide said after Mr Bruff predicted it would come up)

Structure - 2 line couplets in quick succession that could represent the sense of physical desire the narrator feels towards a love one. Also similar to the Manhunt in the sense that it also has two line couplets but in contrast display the potential fragmentation in the relationship as a result of not only the physical but also mental and physchological effects of war.

I can't think of anything else atm but I did write more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ScarletXxXRose
basically you've said what a lot of people would of thought about, but it is quite insightful. However, if you were writing about the ending of the first page, i don't exactly get how you would include all these ideas since they don't really relate to that stanza:confused:....

Yes they do! The first page for the last stanza said something like 'she talks to the birds' or something and is scared of men getting near... Obviously you've read the poem worse than me.
Reply 27
Apparently in Long Distance II ( the unseen poem) the Dad dies at the end. WTF I didn't get this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hated the unseen poem! :frown:
Original post by LSEMaybe?
Compared Ghazal to Manhunt! Thought it went well :smile:

Same!! What sort of stuff did you talk about?
Original post by Arithmeticae
Q1, character and voice

Compared On a Portrait of a Deaf Man with Casehistory (surprised it came up, normally my predictions don't go so well XD)

Unseen also went surprisingly well, maybe I was on top of my BS game or there was loads to write about but I got quite a few comments in about the rhyme scheme and colloquial vocabulary and stuff which seemed pretty deep to me :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wrote about his disbelief which could have been interpreted as his disbelief of God. I said that in the last stanza it said that he kept calling her disconnected number. I referenced that saying that it could be referencing that he has stopped believing because when he said he felt disconnected could show that he felt disconnected from God. When it said about 'raw love' and had to pay for his 'crime'. I said that his 'crime' had connotations of a criminal who is made to suffer in prison. This is referencing to his father who had to suffer like a criminal due to the heartache of losing his mother. Complete and utter BS tbh.
Original post by whydoidothis?
I did the conflict cluster :P

So did I which question did you choose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RG110man
Same!! What sort of stuff did you talk about?

Personally I felt it was easier to compare in relation to structure than any of the other ones because it also contained rhyming couplets. Talked about poor grammar in manhunt, both using enjambment, repetition of first word of the couplet throughout and talked about how use of a rhyming couplet was similar to the relationships describe especially in manhunt (ie two lines joined indicates love forever). What about you?
Original post by Sacred Ground
Yes they do! The first page for the last stanza said something like 'she talks to the birds' or something and is scared of men getting near... Obviously you've read the poem worse than me.

hah, that's rich coming from you, seeing as how you can't even tell when the poem ends:cool:
i didn't remember that phrase in that stanza as i don't have the text in front of me.
I compared Ghazal with The Farmers Bride because I actually planned out the start of an essay one hour before....and that actually came up. :biggrin:

But the thing that's worrying me is the 'form' bit. I went blank so I wrote about language first, then structure and for form I wrote about informal and formal words in the poem. Then I wrote about how some words seemed really formal and that suggests its based around an ancient theme of love. Do you think that counts about form? I wasnt sure what it meant. I'm definitely sure I wrote about how there are some references to ancient beliefs and it could mean its an ancient poem etc. Now I'm worried because I spoke about formal and informal a lot....:confused:
Posted from TSR Mobile
I compared Ghazal with Quickdraw is that bad? It seems like no one else has! I mainly made points about how their structure was very different and only one or two about how they're similar and now I'm worrying. Thoughts??
Original post by ScarletXxXRose
hah, that's rich coming from you, seeing as how you can't even tell when the poem ends:cool:
i didn't remember that phrase in that stanza as i don't have the text in front of me.

It is a tad hypocritical but you mocked the points I made :frown: I thought they had to mark whatever you wrote?
Reply 38
I compared Les Grands Signeurs with Medusa for Question 2. I only wrote about 3 pages in total although I think I explained most of my points quite well (and I do have quite small writing).
Original post by Arithmeticae
Haha, sounds pretty good to me! :ahee:

I talked about the change in the rhyme scheme from ABAB to ABBA in the final stanza represents an alternative attitude to death and how the colloquial language suggested that they were trying to get back into their everyday routine and pretend everything was OK without letting out their emotions about her death. So much BS :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was going to talk about the changing rhyme scheme but I ran out of freaking time. The grade boundaries are going to be so high this because 1) people already pretty much knew the questions and 2) the unseen poem was in the revision guide and people had already seen it. So instead of 38/39 for an A* this year, it will probably be something closer to 50. Pretty peeved to be honest!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending