The Student Room Group

Physics and AI

I'm nearing the end of my year out of studies for mainly health reasons (I've done one year of Physics, Maths and Astronomy). I reapplied to UCAS because I was thinking of having more options available since I wasn't too sure about my course. The deadline was a fortnight ago and I declined all my offers, thinking I'd regret not having a P&A degree. One of the offers I declined was Artificial Intelligence which I do have an interest in. I'm now worried about returning to Physics and am not particularly looking forward to it. That said I have depression and so that could be a factor. I just don't know what to do. It would be so embarrassing if I start 2nd year again and hate it, and surely if I reapplied for AI next year they'd turn me down? I think I was scared to change my mind as it seemed like a big decision and maybe not the right one... but now I feel like I should have taken the chance abd researches it more. Round about the time I got all my offers back I felt sure I was going back to Physics and decided to not think and obsess about my other offers, but now I feel pathetic that I did almost nothing about that. :mad:

Anyway, I'd love to hear from any artificial intelligence students about their experiences with their course, internships, what they think about their studies and the subject, etc etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mc95
I'm nearing the end of my year out of studies for mainly health reasons (I've done one year of Physics, Maths and Astronomy). I reapplied to UCAS because I was thinking of having more options available since I wasn't too sure about my course. The deadline was a fortnight ago and I declined all my offers, thinking I'd regret not having a P&A degree. One of the offers I declined was Artificial Intelligence which I do have an interest in. I'm now worried about returning to Physics and am not particularly looking forward to it. That said I have depression and so that could be a factor. I just don't know what to do. It would be so embarrassing if I start 2nd year again and hate it, and surely if I reapplied for AI next year they'd turn me down? I think I was scared to change my mind as it seemed like a big decision and maybe not the right one... but now I feel like I should have taken the chance abd researches it more. Round about the time I got all my offers back I felt sure I was going back to Physics and decided to not think and obsess about my other offers, but now I feel pathetic that I did almost nothing about that. :mad:

Anyway, I'd love to hear from any artificial intelligence students about their experiences with their course, internships, what they think about their studies and the subject, etc etc.

You seem confused :frown: And successfully confused me with you :wink:

Why not ask the university where they offered you Artificial Intelligence? And if you're granted that offer again - why not take it and give it a try - that said, Im not quite so sure if Im advising the right thing

If you're not going to enjoy physics then dont bother returning to it I guess? But its definitely not embarrassing! We have a student in our year who took a year out after his first year - cant remember why so I guess its a normal thing to do :yep:

Plus wouldnt physics become more interesting in second and third year? Especially becuase of the different electives one could choose?

:console:
Reply 2
I hadn't really thought about all the new stuff and how it could be more interesting than 1st year. Another 4 years to go for me!
As for AI, I have essentially no background experience or reading other than computing at school. I do have all the required entry requirements though...
Yeah, quite a few people take a year out for numerous reasons.
Original post by mc95
I hadn't really thought about all the new stuff and how it could be more interesting than 1st year. Another 4 years to go for me!
As for AI, I have essentially no background experience or reading other than computing at school. I do have all the required entry requirements though...
Yeah, quite a few people take a year out for numerous reasons.

So are you going back to physics then? o.O

And thats fine! Not all of us start something with background experience! Lol
You get the experience you need and more when you start the course! :tongue:
Reply 4
I'm already in the process of signing up for physics again.
Original post by mc95
I'm already in the process of signing up for physics again.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending