The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

In America, Light Skin Blacks are Black not "Mixed Race"

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't go up to someone that was light skinned and assume they would want to be called mixed race. Being mixed race is simply to do with your parentage and how you were raised.
My mother is black, but my father is white.
I also grew up in a mostly white community.
I would call myself "mixed race" to acknowledge both my white and black heritage, but I'd assume that somebody would ask me that themselves rather than assuming I would want to be called something.

But to be honest, it's not the kind of thing you just go up to people and talk about.
"Oh, hey, are you black or mixed race?"
Because it doesn't matter as we're all humans.
That's silly. :rolleyes:
Original post by Beyoncstan
Exactly Are you American? They don't understand how upset these people would get if you inferred they were mixed race and not black!

Nah British, but I get mistaken for mixed-race way too often. It just gets annoying after the 100th time..
Reply 22
Original post by Cyphrex
Read what you said.
Beyonces mother is essentially half white and half black. This means her mothervis mixed race.
This means beyonce is 1/4 white. That is mixed race. Her mother is not a light skin black as you put it. She is mixed race.
Mixed race is a race. So one race plus another is mixed.
Beyonce may identift herself as black and culturally she may be. Ethnically she is not.

Difference between mixed race and mixed blood. A person can be 1/32 chinese it neans they have mixed ancestry not a mixed race.

Tell me what race is obama?
You seem to be an advocate of the one drop rule. Mixed race is not light skin black

You can't apply European ideals to a broader more diverse American society! By your definition there are no ethnic black people in America which obviously isn't the case!
You can't apply European ideals to a broader more diverse American society! By your definition there are no ethnic black people in America which obviously isn't the case!

You are stupid.
Original post by beccagood95
I wouldn't go up to someone that was light skinned and assume they would want to be called mixed race. Being mixed race is simply to do with your parentage and how you were raised.
My mother is black, but my father is white.
I also grew up in a mostly white community.
I would call myself "mixed race" to acknowledge both my white and black heritage, but I'd assume that somebody would ask me that themselves rather than assuming I would want to be called something.

But to be honest, it's not the kind of thing you just go up to people and talk about.
"Oh, hey, are you black or mixed race?"
Because it doesn't matter as we're all humans.
That's silly. :rolleyes:

America logic
Anyone with colour aint white.
Reply 25
Has America even been around for 400 years

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Still waiting for someone to explain how a person from a 90% White European country trys to apply their ideals of race to the much larger and far more diverse America. There are more Black people in America than pretty much every European country except Russia, France, Germany, UK, Italy at 50 million.
Reply 27
Original post by AR_95
Has America even been around for 400 years

Posted from TSR Mobile

Slaves first appeared in America in 1619 in Jamestown, Va
Rubbish, a lot of the people in those pictures are not black. I will also firmly say that Obama is not black. Nowhere near.
Still waiting for someone to explain how a person from a 90% White European country trys to apply their ideals of race to the much larger and far more diverse America. There are more Black people in America than pretty much every European country except Russia, France, Germany, UK, Italy at 50 million.

Lass the number of black Americans is 38 million approx
America wasn't even officially formed 400 years ago. It's more like 225 years ago or so.

I'm sorry, but mixed race people are just that, mixed race. The one drop rule was racist, I'm sure I don't need to explain why. Just accept BOTH sides of your heritage. You may like one culture over another, that doesn't really change your race though does it.

Besides, race isn't even a thing. We're all humans who needed to adapt to our respective environments and most people are mixed with something in their family tree. It's not like modern humans came to being in completely different corners of the world with different colours.
Original post by TheTechN1304
OP, I myself am an American living in the UK, and so can understand what you are saying. However, to an extent I disagree with some of it. I'm 1/4 black and 3/4 white, but I look white, I have green eyes, I'm really pale and I don't look black. Back home people always assumed I was white, and if I told anyone I had black grandparents they'd just laugh and wouldn't believe me. To them, I was white. Same applies here in the UK.

The problem is what you look like. If you look black, you're black. If you look white, you're white.

What you're saying about Beyonce and Chris Brown. They have black parents so they're black. Even in the UK they would be called black. Mixed race is a term used to describe people who are half white/half black. NOT light skinned black people

I'd like to add, despite what you've said about the UK not being multicultural, it is. Most people here live in cities (1/8 of the country lives in London alone) and the cities are where you have different races. The reason 90% of the country is white is because there is a lot of immigration from other white countries in Europe.

In terms of "mixed race" I personally hate the word. It means 2 races, but especially here in the UK, there are a lot of different combos of 2 races. Half white half chinese, half white half indian, half indian half black...the list goes on. If "mixed race" only applies to half white and half black, then wtf do you call everyone else of two 2 races?

In terms of the one-drop-rule, I do think it's stupid, but it is understandable. People keep bringing up Obama so let's talk about him. The fact that he is quite dark for a biracial person, has a black wife, has black children and associates himself with black people means that he is viewed as black. He may only be half black, but he effectively has no white family and relations (all dead) so he IS black.

Grew up with a white parent.
Grew up with white grandparents.
Up bringing at home was white.
He isnt quite dark for a biracial person. He is normal also he has some white features. You can tell someones race not just by colour but race.
So what if he has a black wife if he married a white wife would he be white? His kids arent black they are mixed. They are a 1/4 white.
Read his autobiography and you would understand why he identifies himself with the black culture. Essentially he was rejected by other whites.

What if his wife was white would that make him white? No.
Obama isnt black. He knows he isnt as well. He may feel closer to the black race but he knows he ethnically is white.
One drop rule isnt understandable. Do you know the connatations behind it?
It seems quite a few americans are ignorant about their history.
Mixed race means mixed race i dont know where you got it means black and white. It is perhaps associated with them since that mixed race is more common.
Biracial means two races hence bi it means two like bicycle.
Mixed specifies a mixture it doesnt say how much.

Edit: almost everyone here in the uk is an immigrant or has immigrant origins. If you are talking about 1st or 2nd then the amount of the ones who come from eastern european countries isnt that large to account for most of the white people in the uk. If there were no 1st generation or 2nd generation european immigrants in this countrt itvwould still be mostly white.
(edited 9 years ago)
Blacks in Europe are isolated to capital cities London, Paris, Berlin etc...

You couldn't be more wrong.

Well done writing your point off in the second paragraph of a stupidly long post (relative to the point to were trying to make). Also, the ugly, meaningless photos at the end... Why? Pathetic.
Original post by pmc:producer
You couldn't be more wrong.

Well done writing your point off in the second paragraph of a stupidly long post (relative to the point to were trying to make). Also, the ugly, meaningless photos at the end... Why? Pathetic.

Op's light arent on upstairs
Original post by Cyphrex
Op's light arent on upstairs

I 'd have to agree.
I'm so confused about the point of this thread?
What the heck are you talking about, OP?
Most Americans with mixed heritage from my surroundings are referred to (and referr to themselves) as 'mixed'.
Non-mixed people don't refer to themselves as mixed. They are not insulted if you ask them whether they are or aren't.
I don't see your point. :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 37
The purpose of the thread is to say that Europeans are clueless about Race in America and most things in general! All of the photos I posted were taken at Black Colleges in America and as expected someone on here claimed half of them were not black LOL I would love for you to visit America and tell these people they are not black.....
The purpose of the thread is to say that Europeans are clueless about Race in America and most things in general! All of the photos I posted were taken at Black Colleges in America and as expected someone on here claimed half of them were not black LOL I would love for you to visit America and tell these people they are not black.....

And Americans are clueless about everything that isn't American. They are notorious for being the most insular nation on the planet and you do nothing to change that stereotype.
Reply 39
I'll let Halle Berry tell you best.....

[video="youtube;_uDYwJXuZCM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uDYwJXuZCM[/video]

Latest

Trending

Trending