The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
6 year course, and yes there are quite a few prague graduates with jobs here in the UK, the admissions test for this year is in September, and for next year it will be held in June and september as it was this year
Reply 21
but the drop rates seem alarming to me and juding by others replies in this thread, the place seems like a dump.
Reply 22
have u got any statistics that illustrate that the drop rates arre high . im guessing if the droprates are high it will be starting clincal where the language comes into play ??
btw do you have have to do a formal language exam before clincal ??

also alkaeda - you say you dont want to go to prague , so are you gonna reapply this year agin to uk medical schools ? and resit modules or are you gonna take graduate entry route ?
Reply 23
ooo also i forgot to ask , when is or was the application deadline for 2006 for charles prague ??
Reply 24
about 15th august, dropout rates are high because the course is harder than uk courses and the pass mark is 70%, my plans this year is if i dont get into prague, then i do a business degree then apply to medicine as a graduate.
Reply 25
so say if u dont get 70% each yr, what happens do u have to resit the year again?
alkaeda
about 15th august, dropout rates are high because the course is harder than uk courses and the pass mark is 70%, my plans this year is if i dont get into prague, then i do a business degree then apply to medicine as a graduate.

Why a business degree ?!
Reply 27
alkaeda

The course isn't harder as such. The high dropout rate is actually a high kickout rate - if you can't speak enough Cezch to pass the language exam at the end of year 3, you're out.
Reply 28
fluffy u studied there before?
Reply 29
No - but I had a research collaboration with a team at Charles Uni, so used my time out there to suss out medicine in Praha, on the off chance I couldn't get in over here...
Reply 30
is it really as crap as other say
Reply 31
No - it is an amazing school. One of the best in Europe. However, it is not easy to transfer back post qualification, even now that Prague is in the EU.

If you want to practice in Prague, then qualify there. If you want to practice in the UK, then qualify here... There is no such thing as a guarenteed job in medicine anymore... There's also the stigma attached to qualifying at an Eastern European medical school (all the crap about 'anyone being able to do medicine if you have enough money'; 'what's wrong, couldn't you get in over here' etc... All very prevalent amongst consultants...
Reply 32
what about dentistry in prague, ne idea what thats like
Reply 33
No - none. Sorry. I'm guessing teeth are teeth wherever you are though :smile:
Reply 34
hehe just thought if medicine was crap i wonder how bd dentistry is there
I had to join here after seeing this thread, there seems to be a lot of BS in here.

So I am a student in the 5th year in the first Faculty of medicine in Prague, Czech Replublic

if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

A few points.
Drop out rate, yes its very high, 1 because it is a very tough course, 2 because the first year is full of stupid kids that should have never been accepted into the university however they are filtered out by the 3rd year.

You are allowed to try and repeat however not that many of the repeaters make it (I had to re do my first year)

My class started with 110 students
2nd year 65 about students remaining
3rd year 39
4th year 36
5th year 36

Czech skills
I would say about 1/ 3 of our class has made a good effort to learn the language. If you cant speak the language normally one of the other students in your class will translate or sometimes the doctor will. A few of the doctors get a little irritated at you if your Czech is really bad. It does help in the learning process if you can speak some medical Czech however most of the basics for medical Czech (not general Czech) can be learned in a few weeks.

Agents
Try and avoid the agents www.readmedicine.com they are a bunch of sharks.

Other countries,
Slovakia – a lot of the filed students form here transfer to Bratislava, I know for a fact (i can back this up) that many many of the students have paid to pass exams. This does NOT happen in prague.

The university.
This is the down side, they really do not go out of the way for the students. Some parts of the hospital are very old and run down others are very nice and newly renovated.
Generally many of the staff don’t care too much about the students unless you show you are genuinely interested.

The course is Hard! Very hard in the first 3 years, 4 and 5 are not too bad and 6 is tough again. A lot of emphasis is put on book learning of information and facts and not problem based learning.

Transfer
You will NOT be able to transfer into any year except the first year.

Qualification
Ok, if you hold a UK passport and finish in Prague you can work in the uk WITHOUT taking any exams. Many of my first are in F1 and F2 jobs inc my wife to be so I know this is true.

To work in America you will have to pass the USMLE’s

Student life,
This is an amazing city to live in, the women are really hot, and the food and beer are both good. Its not as cheap as it once was but if you only drink beer you can still have a lot of fun on a tight budget. Personally I was very lucky because I have made decent money so have managed to support my self but unless you have a large pot of gold (100 000+ pounds for 6 years) or you have very understanding parents it’s going to be difficult to impossible to pay for your self.

Politically the country is very stable as much as Germany, France or the uk.
I had to join here after seeing this thread, there seems to be a lot of BS in here.

So I am a student in the 5th year in the first Faculty of medicine in Prague, Czech Replublic

if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

A few points.
Drop out rate, yes its very high, 1 because it is a very tough course, 2 because the first year is full of stupid kids that should have never been accepted into the university however they are filtered out by the 3rd year.

You are allowed to try and repeat however not that many of the repeaters make it (I had to re do my first year)

My class started with 110 students
2nd year 65 about students remaining
3rd year 39
4th year 36
5th year 36

Czech skills
I would say about 1/ 3 of our class has made a good effort to learn the language. If you cant speak the language normally one of the other students in your class will translate or sometimes the doctor will. A few of the doctors get a little irritated at you if your Czech is really bad. It does help in the learning process if you can speak some medical Czech however most of the basics for medical Czech (not general Czech) can be learned in a few weeks.

Agents
Try and avoid the agents www.readmedicine.com they are a bunch of sharks.

Other countries,
Slovakia – a lot of the filed students form here transfer to Bratislava, I know for a fact (i can back this up) that many many of the students have paid to pass exams. This does NOT happen in prague.

The university.
This is the down side, they really do not go out of the way for the students. Some parts of the hospital are very old and run down others are very nice and newly renovated.
Generally many of the staff don’t care too much about the students unless you show you are genuinely interested.

The course is Hard! Very hard in the first 3 years, 4 and 5 are not too bad and 6 is tough again. A lot of emphasis is put on book learning of information and facts and not problem based learning.

Transfer
You will NOT be able to transfer into any year except the first year.

Qualification
Ok, if you hold a UK passport and finish in Prague you can work in the uk WITHOUT taking any exams. Many of my first are in F1 and F2 jobs inc my wife to be so I know this is true.

To work in America you will have to pass the USMLE’s

Student life,
This is an amazing city to live in, the women are really hot, and the food and beer are both good. Its not as cheap as it once was but if you only drink beer you can still have a lot of fun on a tight budget. Personally I was very lucky because I have made decent money so have managed to support my self but unless you have a large pot of gold (100 000+ pounds for 6 years) or you have very understanding parents it’s going to be difficult to impossible to pay for your self.

Politically the country is very stable as much as Germany, France or the uk.
Reply 37
wow old thread
lol sorry I just picked it un in google and was Amazed at some of the rather ignorant comments.
Reply 39
I'd avoid the course like the plauge. If your good enough to be a doctor you don't need to go to prague to do it! Its a dirty option for those who have the money to do it. I know as a doctor I will look down on graduates from prague and I certainly wouldn't rate them as highly as those from the UK.

Latest