The Student Room Group

Terrified about uni

I'm not sure if this is the right place to go but it seems least wrong of the forums I checked. Anyway as the title suggests I'm terrified about uni and going alone. Unfortunately all of my friends either don't like the ones I like or have decided that they don't want to go to uni anyway. Now uni's always been my ultimate goal but I'm so socially awkward (didn't really speak until my first year on sixth form) so am terrified that I'd end up hating the experience but I don't know what I'd do if I didn't go. I'm just so confused about my feeling
Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
How old are you?- 3?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Anyone?

Have you thought about doing a uni course at a partner college? They're (I would assume) not as scary as they are a lot smaller. But, there are so many people in my lectures who are quiet and keep themselves to themselves. I would advise you to go and take the opportunity, your friends won't be with you all the time anyway so seize the moment :smile:
I'm so sorry that you are feeling this way. I brushed off the idea of leaving home and going to University without anyone until after my results. I remember between getting results and the date term started I cried and said I no longer wanted to go as I didn't know anybody and I thought I wouldn't like it. It was especially hard when shopping for stuff! I know it is going to sound like silly advise but don't get caught up about it. Everyone is in the same position as you as everyone is moving away and doesn't know everybody. I thought it would be difficult to make friends but on my first day I just went up to people and said 'Hi my name is X and im studying Y, what's your name and what are you doing?'- It really helped. Just be yourself and try not to worry. Feel free to message me is you want to talk
I'm not sure if this is the right place to go but it seems least wrong of the forums I checked. Anyway as the title suggests I'm terrified about uni and going alone. Unfortunately all of my friends either don't like the ones I like or have decided that they don't want to go to uni anyway. Now uni's always been my ultimate goal but I'm so socially awkward (didn't really speak until my first year on sixth form) so am terrified that I'd end up hating the experience but I don't know what I'd do if I didn't go. I'm just so confused about my feeling

What uni are you going to? You can have some chats with the other prospective students on here! I'm going to study abroad and I'm exactly in the same position- knowing literally no one before starting uni. But I have made some amazing friends here on TSR! Or you can join some sort of groups on Facebook, this can ensure you to know some people before starting uni. Just inbox some of the people there and start an easy convo.

So my advice to you is don't be deterred of going to uni just because you are afraid of a new environment. Try to break the ice and make your life more meaningful. You only live once! Good luck!

I'm not surprised you're a little unnerved by the prospect of going to uni, it's quite a big step after all, but trust me it's great fun once you get used to it. I'm just coming to the end of my first year and I can remember feeling uneasy about the whole thing this time last year and wondering if it was the right thing for me to do but so long as you go into uni with an open mind and you're not afraid to meet new people you'll be fine and have a good laugh in the process. My biggest recommendation would be to join as many clubs/societies as you're interested in when you get the opportunity to meet more people with common interests just in case you don't get on with the people on your course too well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending