The Student Room Group

Oxford- without amazing GCSE grades

I don't have amazing GCSE grades but i have 5As at AS level and I'm aiming towards 4A*s at A2, following a year out for various reasons.

What are my chances of getting into oxford?

Scroll to see replies

What subject?
How do you define 'not amazing'?
I'd be helpful if you post the actual grades.
Original post by louisamos
I don't have amazing GCSE grades but i have 5As at AS level and I'm aiming towards 4A*s at A2, following a year out for various reasons.

With those A level grades I would say a very good chance, assuming the GCSE grades aren't an absolute failure.
If your UMS are really good you should think about applying to Cambridge (If they do the course you want) as they place less importance on GCSE grades. You could still have a chance at Oxford as well depending on what your GCSEs grades are
Reply 5
You are VERY likely to get into Oxbridge if you actually achieve them grades
Original post by Okeyiaj
You are VERY likely to get into Oxbridge if you actually achieve them grades

You can't say that.

Grades are just one part of the admissions process as well as GCSEs, admissions tests, personal statements and interviews. Thousands of people every year achieve grades like this and only a certain amount can receive places.
Reply 7
Original post by Lucilou101
You can't say that.

Grades are just one part of the admissions process as well as GCSEs, admissions tests, personal statements and interviews. Thousands of people every year achieve grades like this and only a certain amount can receive places.

Yes I can say that and shh. Did you achieve 5As at AS and potential 4A*s at A2?, no. Obviously if others factors are executed well, he place is pretty much guaranteed.
Original post by Okeyiaj
Yes I can say that and shh. Did you achieve 5As at AS and potential 4A*s at A2?, no. Obviously if others factors are executed well, he place is pretty much guaranteed.

Well yes I do have the potential of 4A*s at A2 and hold an offer from Oxford.
Don't go feeding false information when from the looks of it you have no grounding for it.
Original post by Okeyiaj

It's at moments like these I wish the downvote was still around.
Reply 10
Well yes I do have the potential of 4A*s at A2 and hold an offer from Oxford.
Don't go feeding false information when from the looks of it you have no grounding for it.

No you don't - I could say that, anyone could. Look, I hold an offer at Havard University for Medicine for 5As at AS. Guess what - I'm a f**** GCSE student.

Keep dreaming and go back to bed,
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Okeyiaj
No you don't - I could say that, anyone could. Look, I hold an offer at Havard University for Medicine for 5As at AS. Guess what - I'm a f**** GCSE student.

Keep dreaming and go back to bed,

Ahaha the irony is beautiful. Would you like a photo of my offer letter?
Seriously - please leave before you spread false hope anymore.

It is hard to make any assessment of your chances based on the information you have given, but here are some points which you might want to bear in mind:

- although most students will have certain grades at GCSE (no idea what it is these days) this is only one factor in the assessment of the application
- if there are legitimate reasons for your GCSE performance these will in all likelihood be taken into account so make sure to highlight them - perhaps in your reference
- it is unclear whether you will be applying post-A2 results but if so this will probably help negate your prior poor performance as there will (hopefully) be evidence of significant improvement

What previous posters have said regarding high chances of receiving an offer based purely on A-level grades should obviously be treated with caution
Reply 13
What subject?
How do you define 'not amazing'?

Maths and 5As, 6Bs

I didn't put any effort into my GCSEs...in fact I didnt revise at all! I didn't think there was any time I'd be wanting to apply to a uni like oxford or cambridge until A level when i began to take a real interest in education.
Reply 14
Original post by KongShou
I'd be helpful if you post the actual grades.

5As, 6Bs
5As, 6Bs

Sorry to break it to you. I doubt you can get into oxbridge without an A* at GCSE.

Cambridge is considered to be linent in terms of gcse. Even then they often ask for a minimum of 6A*. Thats what I am told by the admissions office anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
What was your AS UMS like? I'd personally recommend Cambridge... Oxford place more emphasis on GCSEs and less on AS levels, and Cambridge is the other way around...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why apply to Oxford? Oxford is ****. Apply to Cambridge.
Maths and 5As, 6Bs

I didn't put any effort into my GCSEs...in fact I didnt revise at all! I didn't think there was any time I'd be wanting to apply to a uni like oxford or cambridge until A level when i began to take a real interest in education.

It's difficult to say really - you have put yourself in a worse position as your GCSEs are below average. But it's not nigh on impossible.
A lot would ride on your MAT result and interview should you receive one.

It might be worth considering Cambridge as they do care more about UMS - but they are still interested in GCSEs
Reply 19
Original post by TLHroolz
What was your AS UMS like? I'd personally recommend Cambridge... Oxford place more emphasis on GCSEs and less on AS levels, and Cambridge is the other way around...

Posted from TSR Mobile

320 UMS in maths, further maths, law, physics and business with 20 coming from a numeracy project

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending