The Student Room Group

Does being at private school put you at a disadvantage when applying at uni

Am in fifth year and my mum wants me to move to a private school for six form. Have heard from some people that this puts you at a slight disadvantage with some uni courses and gives less UCAS points!! Is this true?!? If so help!! :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It doesn't affect your UCAS points in any way. If you get a B, you get a B wherever you go which awards you 100 UCAS points. Private school, state school, private candidate... whatever!

They're not going to say no to you because you went to a private school.
Reply 2
Original post by saffy11
Am in fifth year and my mum wants me to move to a private school for six form. Have heard from some people that this puts you at a slight disadvantage with some uni courses and gives less UCAS points!! Is this true?!? If so help!! :confused:
Attending a private school for Sixth Form will not disadvantage you. You don't get UCAS points for which school you attend/ed, only your qualifications.

However, average school performance (whether private or not) compared with yours may be taken into account when deciding whether to make you an offer. How long you have attended the school in question may also be taken into account when benchmarking your performance.
Universities are only interested in your predicted grades/results, a strong Personal Statement and a supportive Academic Reference. They don't care where you went to school.
Reply 4
Original post by saffy11

It doesn't give you less UCAS points. There are some universities however that give further consideration to students who have contextual flags (live in LPA postcodes, attend a school that consistently performs below the national average, care-leavers).
No, it doesn't.
If anything, attending an independent school puts you at an advantage if you want to enter an old and prestigious university. Did you know that a half of Oxford's student body is made up of independent school alumni?
No, generally you're not at a disadvantage. Some unis (only a few) may look at how you compare with other students from your school/college, but even then, that's not going to be the reason you get rejected
Original post by missfrivolous
No, it doesn't.
If anything, attending an independent school puts you at an advantage if you want to enter an old and prestigious university. Did you know that a half of Oxford's student body is made up of independent school alumni?

That's really amazing, people always told me that going to an independent private school would put me at a disadvantage :confused:
Reply 8
No, it doesn't.

bull****
Original post by saffy11

It will be an advantage as you will get more help with the application process and smaller classes.
No, it doesn't.

Oxford and Cambridge give extra consideration to pupils from worse performing schools and poorer areas/backgrounds. In this way, a private school can only be a disadvantage to an admissions tutor. Of course, this is more than made up for by the fact that private schools tend to have better teaching and much more information and preparation for Oxbridge/general uni admissions.
Original post by PythianLegume
Oxford and Cambridge give extra consideration to pupils from worse performing schools and poorer areas/backgrounds. In this way, a private school can only be a disadvantage to an admissions tutor. Of course, this is more than made up for by the fact that private schools tend to have better teaching and much more information and preparation for Oxbridge/general uni admissions.

I agree with the fact that pupils from worse performing schools should have some sort of advantage, but I find it unfair the fact that those from private schools are not considered.
Original post by isaaccharles
I agree with the fact that pupils from worse performing schools should have some sort of advantage, but I find it unfair the fact that those from private schools are not considered.

They are most certainly considered - 40% of Cambridge entrants come from private schools, and the figure is similar at Oxford. The measures are in place to somewhat make up for the huge advantage private school applicants would otherwise have.
They are most certainly considered - 40% of Cambridge entrants come from private schools, and the figure is similar at Oxford. The measures are in place to somewhat make up for the huge advantage private school applicants would otherwise have.
40% is a fair amount considering the fact that most of the applicants must be students at normal comprehensive schools.
40% is a fair amount considering the fact that most of the applicants must be students at normal comprehensive schools.

No, the % of entrants from each type of school is very close to the % of applicants from those schools. About 40% of applicants are from private schools.
No, the % of entrants from each type of school is very close to the % of applicants from those schools. About 40% of applicants are from private schools.
The majority of people from my school go to Oxford or Cambridge, i'm not sure if it is an advantage or hardworking.
The majority of people from my school go to Oxford or Cambridge, i'm not sure if it is an advantage or hardworking.

It's mostly due to the high quality of applicants that Public schools produce - the A* rate at A-Level for schools like yours is really high.
For Oxbridge, presuming you got the same results and had the same quality personal statement, references etc. as a state school educated candidate, and you are privately educated, you would be at a disadvantage. They have a flag rating system, taking into account whether you school has a low number of people going onto higher education, gets low results etc. - Basically because getting A*s is more of an achievement at a Bolton comprehensive than at Harrow or Eton
It's mostly due to the high quality of applicants that Public schools produce - the A* rate at A-Level for schools like yours is really high.
That's true. Probably the reason why I don't want to study my A-levels at my school.
Original post by thetraveller
For Oxbridge, presuming you got the same results and had the same quality personal statement, references etc. as a state school educated candidate, and you are privately educated, you would be at a disadvantage. They have a flag rating system, taking into account whether you school has a low number of people going onto higher education, gets low results etc. - Basically because getting A*s is more of an achievement at a Bolton comprehensive than at Harrow or Eton

It shouldn't work like that, it depends on the individual.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending