The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The political system in this country seems silly.
Original post by arson_fire
Average house prices got nowhere near £200k in the 1980`s. The average was around £40k in the mid 80`s and hit a peak of about £70k at the top of the boom.

source?
Original post by arson_fire
Really? My first house cost £35k in 1997 (about 3 times what i was making working in a factory) and went for £140k in 2008 (about 12x what someone on minimum wage makes). The largest ever increase in house prices was between 1997 and 2008..........

Maybe you should do some research instead of making stuff up.

you obviously do not live in London. search it yourself.
Everyone knows Margaret thatcher absolutely destroyed most forms of industry in this country

Posted from TSR Mobile
it is soul destroying to see people defending her

oh no she took way the school milk, what a b... Oh wait hang on, that made no difference to any bodies life

Clearly you didn't know that Churchill, the greatest PM of England ever was a Tory. Also thatcher was homophobic in an era where pretty much so was the entire population, and were supposed to be horrified by that News, to the point where nobody voted Tory because a Tory PM was homophobic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Everyone knows Margaret thatcher absolutely destroyed most forms of industry in this country

Posted from TSR Mobile

She 'destroyed' industries that were already dying. Why should the government subsidise coal mining because it's so unprofitable that it can't stay afloat privately? That isn't progress. Also, let us not forget that Harold Wilson closed far more mines than Thatcher.

I'm not a huge fan of Thatcher, but people chat such crap about her, purely because she's been made out to be some sort of modern folk-devil.

Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Only the posh private school ones

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by NathanW18
Sure. Probably the private school kids.

Yeh, and everyone who votes Labour is a feckless, overweight chav taking benefits for their brood of unruly sprogs. Oh look, I can make crude class-based generalisations too.

I don't vote Conservative, but at least I don't think that everyone who does is some sort of evil, selfish idiot.
^ I'm from Newcastle and I'm a conservative supporter, went to a rubbish state school which ofsted keep threating to shut down. My parents don't even have Alevels never mid a degree

Conservatives are not for rich private school kids from affluent families, they are for people who are sick of seeing their taxes spent on lazy chavs who get more money on benefits as a family than nurses or teachers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PythianLegume

Yeh, and everyone who votes Labour is a feckless, overweight chav taking benefits for their brood of unruly sprogs. Oh look, I can make crude class-based generalisations too.

I don't vote Conservative, but at least I don't think that everyone who does is some sort of evil, selfish idiot.

Well, I did say probably. Also, calling someone a private school kid is not offensive. Neither did I call them selfish. Your definition of a Labour supporter could be classed as pretty offensive.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well, I did say probably. Also, calling someone a private school kid is not offensive. Neither did I call them selfish. Your definition of a Labour supporter could be classed as pretty offensive.

Dude, it was pretty obvs they were being sarcastic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, I did say probably. Also, calling someone a private school kid is not offensive. Your definition of a Labour supporter could be classed as pretty offensive.

The implication was clear behind your post that the people voting conservative were rich people trying to hold onto their own privilege at the expense of those poorer than them. It was clearly a slur against privately educated people, making them out to be selfish and uncaring. I'd consider that to be at least as offensive as being accused of lazy and unhealthy. The only reason there's any difference is because it's seen as OK to insult rich people because their lives are generally easier.
Original post by infairverona
I'm a student and very Tory. I think it's because in our generation it's seen as 'trendy' or whatever to be all liberal and vote Labour etc. There are plenty of us.

It is partly also a result of Labour having that long term up to 2010. They very much liberalized the education system in a way which breeds Labour supporters. Subjects such as citizenship, RE, Geography and sociology were orientated towards left wing ideology. I myself as a young person am a more Tory supporter but UKIP are getting my votes from now on. I still respect Tories and think they are the best for the country economically but socially the country needs reforming which only UKIP I think can deliver
Original post by Abbieastoria
Dude, it was pretty obvs they were being sarcastic

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know. His level of generalisation was not even close to mine. Even if it was a joke.
Original post by Ciaralouise15
actually it's not. It is also one of the well known reasons that Margaret Thatcher was hated and so i'm slightly worried that you call this bull**** when it is fact :/ google it

Margaret Thatcher was probably the best PM ever. She had more balls than Miliband, Clegg and Cameron put together
The Tories have the largest youth wing do they not?
Original post by MASTER265
It is partly also a result of Labour having that long term up to 2010. They very much liberalized the education system in a way which breeds Labour supporters. Subjects such as citizenship, RE, Geography and sociology were orientated towards left wing ideology. I myself as a young person am a more Tory supporter but UKIP are getting my votes from now on. I still respect Tories and think they are the best for the country economically but socially the country needs reforming which only UKIP I think can deliver

Young British people are in fact more economically liberal than their parents at the same age:

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21578666-britains-youth-are-not-just-more-liberal-their-elders-they-are-also-more-liberal-any

Young people have always been more left-wing than older people. This is exactly like drinking and teenage pregnancy - it's always a problem with the young generation - it was a problem with the people who are now middle-aged and blaming the younger generations, often more so.
The implication was clear behind your post that the people voting conservative were rich people trying to hold onto their own privilege at the expense of those poorer than them. It was clearly a slur against privately educated people, making them out to be selfish and uncaring. I'd consider that to be at least as offensive as being accused of lazy and unhealthy. The only reason there's any difference is because it's seen as OK to insult rich people because their lives are generally easier.

You took my post quite seriously. I apologise for any offence I may have caused. I don't think either is seen as 'okay' to insult, but alright.
You took my post quite seriously. I apologise for any offence I may have caused. I don't think either is seen as 'okay' to insult, but alright.

It doesn't offend me - I didn't go to private school, nor do I support the Conservatives. I'd call you out just as much if you were being rude and generalising about any group of people.
It doesn't offend me - I didn't go to private school, nor do I support the Conservatives. I'd call you out just as much if you were being rude and generalising about any group of people.

Well, it goes for anybody that didn't like my post. I don't think it was rude, but I can accept that it was a generalisation.
Heres a better question- do any of the working class vote for the Tories?

Latest