The Student Room Group

Reducing a symmetric matrix to diagonal form

Does anyone know what the point of this process actually is? I have no problem doing it but the only relevence to the original matrix seems to be its eigenvalues on the diagonal. I have no doubt that there is some reason for doing this and I would appreciate if someone could expain it to me, thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by parallelepiped
Does anyone know what the point of this process actually is? I have no problem doing it but the only relevence to the original matrix seems to be its eigenvalues on the diagonal. I have no doubt that there is some reason for doing this and I would appreciate if someone could expain it to me, thanks.

This is one of the reasons why I dislike the treatment of linear algebra at A-level. In fact diagonalisable matrices are the nicest matrices there are, and it's a big key fact that symmetric matrices are diagonalisable. It's useful in many proofs because it means there is a basis of eigenvectors for the matrix. So many proofs in linear algebra would be much simpler if we could assume matrices were diagonalisable, and in fact a lot of work goes into proving that there is a next-best thing (Jordan normal form - all matrices can be put into a form that is "nearly diagonal").

Essentially, it's really really useful to know that it is possible to diagonalise symmetric matrices, but at A-level there are no good reasons for you to do it. (Much like the A-level treatment of groups.)
Original post by Smaug123
This is one of the reasons why I dislike the treatment of linear algebra at A-level. In fact diagonalisable matrices are the nicest matrices there are, and it's a big key fact that symmetric matrices are diagonalisable. It's useful in many proofs because it means there is a basis of eigenvectors for the matrix. So many proofs in linear algebra would be much simpler if we could assume matrices were diagonalisable, and in fact a lot of work goes into proving that there is a next-best thing (Jordan normal form - all matrices can be put into a form that is "nearly diagonal").

Essentially, it's really really useful to know that it is possible to diagonalise symmetric matrices, but at A-level there are no good reasons for you to do it. (Much like the A-level treatment of groups.)

Thanks for your answer. I suppose I can understand the logic of including this in the syllabus if it becomes very useful later on but I think this is the wrong attitude on the part of the exam board. I think it would be a lot more sensible to study things in more detail rather than cramming loads of topics in to an exam and only looking at them superficially.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by parallelepiped
Thanks for your answer. I suppose I can understand the logic of including this in the syllabus if it becomes very useful later on but I think this is the wrong attitude on the part of the exam board. I think it would be a lot more sensible to study things in more detail rather than cramming loads of topics in to an exam and only looking at them superficially.

Oh, I agree - and once you aren't doing A-levels any more, you never have to actually diagonalise a matrix ever again. (With a couple of very unusual exceptions.) What's important is the fact that you *can* diagonalise this class of matrices.

Quick Reply

Latest