Yes, that's fine.
Reply 61
6)a)i) 1.23 moldm^-3 [5 marks]

6)a)ii) 71.5% (1d.p.) [2 marks]

6)b) [1 mark]

6)c) n = 2 [4 marks]
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 62
would I get a mark for saying that the layers of cations can slide over each other therefore nickel is ductile?
Original post by _Caz_
I think sooo

Oooh sorry haha
Reply 64
Original post by bwr19
5)a)
Substance: Crude Oil
Process: Fractional Distillation [2 marks]

5)b) C12H26(l) + 12.5O2(g) ---> 12CO(g) + 13H2O(g) [1 mark]

5)c)i) Nitrogen oxides are produced in the air when there is enough energy for the N2 and O2 present to combine. At high temperatures, such as combustion of paraffin, with sparks etc., there is sufficient energy for these reactions to take place. [2 marks]

5)c)ii) 2NO + O2 ---> 2NO2 (or NO + 0.5O2 ---> NO2, I guess) [1 mark]

5)c)iii) 4NO2(g) + O2(g) + 2H2O(l) ---> 4HNO3(aq) [1 mark]

5)d)i) CnHn+2 [1 mark]

5)d)ii)
Cracking: C12H26 ---> C6H14 + C6H12
Empirical Formula: C3H7
Catalyst: Zeolite [3 marks]

5)d)iii) Dodecane has more atoms in a single molecule, which increases the amount of van-der-Waals forces between molecules (IMFs), so it required more energy to separate these molecules than it does to separate the C6H14, which has weaker VDWs. [2 marks]

5)e) 2,2,3,3,4,4-hexamethylhexane, chain isomerism [2 marks]

5)f) Cl2 [1 mark]

isn't the answer 2NO ----> N2 + O2 EDIT: Sorry im wrong, it says Nitogen dioxide production
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 65
The TlBr one. Can I ask if others put down the reason for the high m.p was due to the giant ionic lattice?
It's weird because while it's a metal they asked for shapes just above it. I assume it can form both covalent and ionic bonds depending on the conditions?
Reply 66
Tl + 1/2Br2 => TlBr (1 mark

Wasnt the answer to this question supposed to be 2Tl + Br2=>2TlBr?
as the question just said 'Write an equation to show how Thallium Chloride is formed from its elements'
Original post by ccalby
The TlBr one. Can I ask if others put down the reason for the high m.p was due to the giant ionic lattice? It's weird because while it's a metal they asked for shapes just above it. I assume it can form both covalent and ionic bonds depending on the conditions?

I put that there was a strong electrostatic force of attraction between the oppositely charged ions. This would mean that high energy would be needed to break those forces.

Reply 68
Original post by ccalby
The TlBr one. Can I ask if others put down the reason for the high m.p was due to the giant ionic lattice?
It's weird because while it's a metal they asked for shapes just above it. I assume it can form both covalent and ionic bonds depending on the conditions?

I would assume that they wanted you to say -ionic bonding', and then the following marks would depend on if you stated -ionic bonding- first to get those other marks. I remember doing a past paper in which an similar question came up:tongue:
Reply 69
What do you reckon is 100 UMS?
For the x=2 integer question. I got x=4.
I guess I was wrong because you all seem to have x=2. So what I wondered was, if some of my method is correct can I still get some of the marks? I saw that Ca was missing so calculated the mass of that. Then did as I usually do in ratio questions, I divided the mass by the M.r for each of the four elements, and then divided each of those answers by the smallest number, which gave me answers that lead to me making x=4 for the value, and the empricial formula ...erm, I can;t quite remember. Anyway, can I at least get a mark or two there do you think for method?
Also, is it possible that we will find the chem2 paper easier? I have read a few people on here say that last year they were getting 90% on the chem2 papers but getting 70-80 % on the chem1 - is this possible?
Reply 72
TOTAL MARK SCHEME

1)a)i) Proton + Electron = 1.6734 * 10^-24

1)a)ii) Neutron (B)

1)b)i) 20%

1)b)ii) Isotopes only vary the number of neutrons. The electron configurations are the same in both isotopes and this is what determines chemical reactions, therefore they have similar reactions.

1)c) Since Boron is group 3, you'd expect the first 3 to have close values. Probably anything between 4000-8000.

1)d) B+(g) --> B2+(g) + e-

1)e) It takes more energy to remove an electron from a charged ion than and atom, and also the second electron will be in an s subshell rather than p subshell, so it is marginally closer to the nucleus.

2)a)i) mole = mass/Mr, therefore 2.16/241.8 = 0.00893mol (3s.f.)

2)a)ii) (0.00893/4)*3 = 0.00670mol

2)a)iii) PV = nRT question.

P = 100kPa = 100*10^3 Pa
T = 293C = 566K
n = (0.00893/4)*12 = 0.02679mol

V = nRT/P = 0.00123...m^3 == 1.23 * 10^-3 m^3

2)b) Thermal decomposition

2)c) The other products are gaseous, so this would not be mixed in with the solid Iron(III) Oxide.

3)a)i) d-block

3)a)ii) Nickel is a metal. As such, it has metallic bonds. The atoms lose electrons and become ions, creating a sea of delocalised electrons. It is the electrostatic force of attraction between the oppositely charged electrons and ions that holds the structure together. Since these forces are quite strong, it requires a high energy to overcome them - a high boiling point.

3)a)iii) Draw at least six Ni ions with a sea of electrons surrounding them.

3)a)iv) Nickel is ductile due to the facts that the rows and individual atoms are able to roll over each other and form new configurations without breaking the metallic bonds, thanks to the electrostatic attraction between ions and the delocalised electrons. (?)

3)b)i) 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d8

3)b)ii) The balancing question. I'm terrible at balancing (didn't have time to do it in the exam, either). Can someone else do it? :colondollar:

4)a)i) Hydrogen Bonding [1 mark]

4)a)ii)

Also, you should have included the partial delta charges - δ- on the N's and δ+ on the H's. [3 marks]

4)b) The boron is electron deficient and the Nitrogen is highly electronegative with a lone pair of electrons. It donates both of its electrons to the Boron, creating a co-ordinate (dative covalent) bond. [1 mark]

4)c)i) Electonegativity is the 'pulling power' and atom has to attract electron density towards itself in a covalent bond. [2 marks]

4)c)ii) LiF (I think there are others, too) [1 mark]

4)c)iii) Unsure. This has been debated a lot. [1 mark]

5)a)

5)c)i) Nitrogen oxides are produced in the air when there is enough energy for the N2 and O2 present to combine. At high temperatures, such as combustion of paraffin, with sparks etc., there is sufficient energy for these reactions to take place. [2 marks]

5)d)i) CnHn+2 [1 mark]

5)d)ii)

5)d)iii) Dodecane has more atoms in a single molecule, which increases the amount of van-der-Waals forces between molecules (IMFs), so it required more energy to separate these molecules than it does to separate the C6H14, which has weaker VDWs. [2 marks]

5)f) Cl2 [1 mark]

6)b) ??? [1 mark]

6)c) n = 2 [4 marks]

Worked Solutions to 6ai, 6aii, 6c.

7)a) TlBr32- is trigonal pyramidal with bond angles of 107 degrees. TlCl43- is square pyramidal. [4 marks]

7)b)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 73
How you guys getting 1.23moldm-3. Why are you guys not considering the calcium nitrate
Original post by bwr19
TOTAL MARK SCHEME

1)a)i) Proton + Electron = 1.6734 * 10^-24

1)a)ii) Neutron (B)

1)b)i) 20%

1)b)ii) Isotopes only vary the number of neutrons. The electron configurations are the same in both isotopes and this is what determines chemical reactions, therefore they have similar reactions.

1)c) Since Boron is group 3, you'd expect the first 3 to have close values. Probably anything between 4000-8000.

1)d) B+(g) --> B2+(g) + e-

1)e) It takes more energy to remove an electron from a charged ion than and atom, and also the second electron will be in an s subshell rather than p subshell, so it is marginally closer to the nucleus.

2)a)i) mole = mass/Mr, therefore 2.16/241.8 = 0.00893mol (3s.f.)

2)a)ii) (0.00893/4)*3 = 0.00670mol

2)a)iii) PV = nRT question.

P = 100kPa = 100*10^3 Pa
T = 293C = 566K
n = (0.00893/4)*12 = 0.02679mol

V = nRT/P = 0.00123...m^3 == 1.23 * 10^-3 m^3

2)b) Thermal decomposition

2)c) The other products are gaseous, so this would not be mixed in with the solid Iron(III) Oxide.

3)a)i) d-block

3)a)ii) Nickel is a metal. As such, it has metallic bonds. The atoms lose electrons and become ions, creating a sea of delocalised electrons. It is the electrostatic force of attraction between the oppositely charged electrons and ions that holds the structure together. Since these forces are quite strong, it requires a high energy to overcome them - a high boiling point.

3)a)iii) Draw at least six Ni ions with a sea of electrons surrounding them.

3)a)iv) Nickel is ductile due to the facts that the rows and individual atoms are able to roll over each other and form new configurations without breaking the metallic bonds, thanks to the electrostatic attraction between ions and the delocalised electrons. (?)

3)b)i) 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d8

3)b)ii) The balancing question. I'm terrible at balancing (didn't have time to do it in the exam, either). Can someone else do it? :colondollar:

4)a)i) Hydrogen Bonding [1 mark]

4)a)ii)

Also, you should have included the partial delta charges - δ- on the N's and δ+ on the H's. [3 marks]

4)b) The boron is electron deficient and the Nitrogen is highly electronegative with a lone pair of electrons. It donates both of its electrons to the Boron, creating a co-ordinate (dative covalent) bond. [1 mark]

4)c)i) Electonegativity is the 'pulling power' and atom has to attract electron density towards itself in a covalent bond. [2 marks]

4)c)ii) LiF (I think there are others, too) [1 mark]

4)c)iii) Unsure. This has been debated a lot. [1 mark]

5)a)

5)d)i) CnHn+2 [1 mark]

5)d)ii)

5)f) Cl2 [1 mark]

6)b) ??? [1 mark]

6)c) n = 2 [4 marks]

Worked Solutions to 6ai, 6aii, 6c.

7)a) TlBr32- is trigonal pyramidal with bond angles of 107 degrees. TlCl43- is square pyramidal. [4 marks]

7)b)

3 b i) I got 3d6 because it was Ni2+...?

4 c iii) I got BH3... Small electronegativity difference...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
I got 3.08mol dm-3
Reply 76
Original post by TLHroolz
3 b i) I got 3d6 because it was Ni2+...?

4 c iii) I got BH3... Small electronegativity difference...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I explained this earlier in the thread. Even though 4s fills up first, they're also the first electrons to go during ionisation.
Reply 77
Original post by cmfunk
How you guys getting 1.23moldm-3. Why are you guys not considering the calcium nitrate

i did the calcium phospahte...not the calcium nitrate...?....Did you get 0.136?
Reply 78
Original post by y0sxmba
i did the calcium phospahte...not the calcium nitrate...?....Did you get 0.136?

The products are phosporic acid and calcium nitrate. It doesn't tell you that the other is solid, so surely you consider both
Original post by bwr19
I explained this earlier in the thread. Even though 4s fills up first, they're also the first electrons to go during ionisation.

Ohhhh daaaammmmnnnn yeah it does :/

BH3 seem like a plausible answer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending