The Student Room Group

**OFFICIAL S1 OCR (Non-MEI) Thread 6th June 2014**

Past papers from June 2007 to Jan 2013 here:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/i-want-to/download-past-papers/

I have the June 2013 S1 paper if you would like it, PM me.

Papers from 05:

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/OCR/Maths/

I recommend attempting the questions from the OCR spec from the Solomon papers for a different feel of question, but still the same topic.

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/Edexcel/Advanced%20Level/Mathematics/Subject%20Sorted/S1/Solomon/

Judging from C1 and C2, both have mixed opinion on how they went, personally I found both to be reasonable.

Post your discussions about OCR S1 here (Non MEI).

Scroll to see replies

Do u think this exam will b hard compared to the ohers. Im a little worried.
Does anyone else think the past papers are getting harder?
Reply 3
I think the maths required for each question has roughly been of the same demand each year, however, the style of question has changed and OCR's wording has definitely changed to be much harder to understand the first time around.
Reply 4
Can someone help with understanding Q 6 (i)(b) From Jan 09 paper please?

Q A test consists of 4 Algebra questions A B C D and 4 geometry questions G H I J. Find the probability that no two Geometry questions are next to each other.

To work out the no of permutations, the eg in the book (and Examsolutions video: http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/statistics/permutations-combinations/permutations/tutorial-6.php) suggets:

1. Separate unrestricted items by spaces and put an extra space at start and end;

so : _ A _ A _ A _ A _ [ so that's 4 As and 5 spaces]
now,

there are 4! ways for A questions = 4!
There are 5 ways to put first G, 4 for second, 3 for 3rd and 2 for 4th.

we could also have: _ G _ G _ G _ G _

So, total no of ways = 4!x5x4x3x2 X2 [although the book example doesn't seem to x2]

But the answer (for number of permutations) is 4!x4!x2

I can see how they get it, but then its incompatible with the method in the book and in the video? What am I missing?
Reply 5
I. Hate. S1.
I found C1 and C2 really hard so I'm really worried about S1!!
Reply 7
could you please send the June 2013 1 paper and making scheme
I've done all the papers since 2005,, anyone know where I can find more questions which are related to OCR Topics?
Original post by rajb
Can someone help with understanding Q 6 (i)(b) From Jan 09 paper please?

Q A test consists of 4 Algebra questions A B C D and 4 geometry questions G H I J. Find the probability that no two Geometry questions are next to each other.

To work out the no of permutations, the eg in the book (and Examsolutions video: http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/statistics/permutations-combinations/permutations/tutorial-6.php) suggets:

1. Separate unrestricted items by spaces and put an extra space at start and end;

so : _ A _ A _ A _ A _ [ so that's 4 As and 5 spaces]
now,

there are 4! ways for A questions = 4!
There are 5 ways to put first G, 4 for second, 3 for 3rd and 2 for 4th.

we could also have: _ G _ G _ G _ G _

So, total no of ways = 4!x5x4x3x2 X2 [although the book example doesn't seem to x2]

But the answer (for number of permutations) is 4!x4!x2

I can see how they get it, but then its incompatible with the method in the book and in the video? What am I missing?

How I'd do it is this:
AGAGAGAG = 4! X 4! (The arrangements of A's x the arrangement of G's)
which is 576
X2 is 1152 because the order could be GAGAGAGA.
There are 8! Possible combinations so 40320.
576/40320 = 1/35.
does that make sense? If not, I'll tell you why you're method was wrong :smile:
Do we need to know about venn diagrams?
Original post by James_Tait

Nop
Original post by Mustafa007
I've done all the papers since 2005,, anyone know where I can find more questions which are related to OCR Topics?

Old spec 2641. Exactly the same content just 12 marks shorter.
Original post by James_Tait

Ive seen questions where its much easier to use venn diagrams so id say yes.
Can someone explain how rs(spearsman) could equal one and r (product moment coefficient) doesn't.

and the reverse
Reply 15
Eeesh worried about this one. Every time I think I get it a question pops up that I just can't do. I get the basic stuff but every time I attempt a harder probability question or binomial I'm stuffed.

I'm hoping that there's some nice P's and C's at the start (something else which I can't get my head around at all) and then there is some long correlation question at the end.
Original post by penguanoe
Can someone explain how rs(spearsman) could equal one and r (product moment coefficient) doesn't.

and the reverse

Imagine a line that curves upwards like an exponential graph. Or also imagine a line that kind of curves upwards and levels off. Here r does not equal 1 as the points are not in a straight line, but rs does equal 1 as y increases with x.

The reverse is not possible. If the points were to form an exactly straight line then the y ranks and the x ranks would have to increase with each other, so rs would also equal 1.
Original post by TotalerReinfall
Imagine a line that curves upwards like an exponential graph. Or also imagine a line that kind of curves upwards and levels off. Here r does not equal 1 as the points are not in a straight line, but rs does equal 1 as y increases with x.

The reverse is not possible. If the points were to form an exactly straight line then the y ranks and the x ranks would have to increase with each other, so rs would also equal 1.

Thanks. Could you also explain how there can be two lines in the method of least squares. I get the idea of minimising the difference^2 between points, but not about the vertical or horizontal nature of a line that can fit between them.
Original post by penguanoe
Thanks. Could you also explain how there can be two lines in the method of least squares. I get the idea of minimising the difference^2 between points, but not about the vertical or horizontal nature of a line that can fit between them.

I don't really know how to explain that, isn't it just pretty much the same idea? We definitely don't need to know about it in that level of detail anyway
Is it correct in saying that you use the the y on x regression line when x is the independent variable and then the x on y when y in the independent variable? I saw a question where it said the x on y was when no variable was controlled or something :s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending