The Student Room Group

Canadian student considering studying medicine in the UK

Hey all!

As the title states, I'm a Canadian student considering moving the UK to study medicine. The reason I am considering it is I'm actually in the process of finishing my Bachelor of Commerce, and I wouldn't be able to apply to Med schools here (you need a scientific bachelor).

I was wondering if Med schools in the UK accept people like me. I only have a high school education (in terms of science subjects) and I don't think my commerce degree would make a difference in an application.

I understand some schools require entrance exams for medicine, are there any schools which don't require this?

Any international students who have studied medicine in the UK?
Hey! I don't understand what you mean by a Bachelors of Commerce? Which specific subject is this? Is it a standard 4 year Bachelors degree?

Some medical schools in the UK take non-science degrees however they ask for A levels in Chemistry (though biology is also desirable). A levels are taken in the UK typically between the ages of 16-18.

There are very few medical schools in the UK who don't require the traditional "entrance exams". These are not specific to the school but are standardised aptitude tests designed to test your skills rather than your knowledge. The most commonly used ones are the UKCAT (probably the most common) and the GAMSAT (for graduates) or the BMAT.

Also, I'm sure it's similar in the US and Canada but your grades/academic background is only a very small part of the application!
Reply 2
Original post by canada87
Hey all!

As the title states, I'm a Canadian student considering moving the UK to study medicine. The reason I am considering it is I'm actually in the process of finishing my Bachelor of Commerce, and I wouldn't be able to apply to Med schools here (you need a scientific bachelor).

I was wondering if Med schools in the UK accept people like me. I only have a high school education (in terms of science subjects) and I don't think my commerce degree would make a difference in an application.

I understand some schools require entrance exams for medicine, are there any schools which don't require this?

Any international students who have studied medicine in the UK?

As mentioned by thatonethere medicine can be studied in the UK either as a graduate or as an undergraduate. Graduates courses are more competitive, lots of applicants to few places. Wether the schools that offer graduate programmes take international students, I'm not sure although due to the few places available on these programmes I imagine not, but your best bet is to get in contact with these schools. A quick google shows that st George's offers a medicine programme to US/Canadian applicants called MBBS4. By the looks of it any bachelors degree may be adequate as the requirement is for at least a 3.0 GPA it doesn't seem to specify in what degree. Entry exams will be another consideration for entry into the st George's programme they require either the MCAT or GAMSAT. From what I understand the GAMSAT requires your knowledge in biology chemistry and physics to be pretty hot.

The other option is to apply to undergraduate programmes, where I imagine you would apply with your highschool qualifications - you'll have to ask each school what they require. Most of the undergraduate programmes require the UKCAT entrance exam (but not all), there are Pearson Vue test centres all over the world where you can do this (I did it in Calgary last summer).

So providing you have the right grades/good entrance exam score/ good work exp and voluntary work it is doable.

One consideration you may want to make is if you do study over here is the extra challenge of then getting a residency spot back in Canada

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending