The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Would you be happy with the idea of the UK becoming an Islamic country in the future?

Scroll to see replies

I think this question's a bit stupid to be honest, who in their right mind would want a developed country to become an Islamic country? Who in their right mind would want the UK to still be a religious country?
Original post by KingBradly
But, completely hypothetically, what if they did get approval? Would it make you angry if you heard that gay men were snogging each other on the streets of Mecca? Would you be upset if a LGBT Pride rally was held there?

I know there's absolutely no chance of it happening, but that's irrelevant. I'm just interested in how the idea of that makes you feel.

I wouldn't approve of it, no.
Reply 42
Original post by scriggy
Why would any level headed, reasonable person be happy with that? :lolwut:

Are you suggesting that all Muslims are not level headed or reasonable people?
Reply 43
Original post by Abdul-Karim
I wouldn't approve of it, no.

So do you think its acceptable to expect people to approve of Islam being practiced in the UK, despite it going against many of our cultural values, much in the same way that homosexuals being in Mecca would go against the cultural values of Islam?
Reply 44
Original post by Alludeen1
I think this question's a bit stupid to be honest, who in their right mind would want a developed country to become an Islamic country? Who in their right mind would want the UK to still be a religious country?

Well, I'm guessing most Muslims would like the UK to be an Islamic country. Would you say that Muslims are not 'in their right mind'?
Well, I'm guessing most Muslims would like the UK to be an Islamic country. Would you say that Muslims are not 'in their right mind'?

Yep, anyone religious in a developed country like the UK has something missing.
So do you think its acceptable to expect people to approve of Islam being practiced in the UK, despite it going against many of our cultural values, much in the same way that homosexuals being in Mecca would go against the cultural values of Islam?

I don't expect people to approve, no. However, you've suggested this to be a hypothetical scenario. The questions is asking me whether or not 'I would' approve if the UK became in Islamic country in which I answered 'yes, I would'.
No, because Britain would be a horrible, horrible backwards place. Islam destroys societies, it does not improve or add anything of value to them

muslims do not even want to live in muslim countries
Some of the posts certain users make about this topic make me want to cry... How can anyone support such oppressive and unbalanced systems like Sharia Law?

If you want to live under a backwards, discriminatory, vicious, outdated and morally disgusting system which accomplishes nothing other than to encourage the subjugation of women and the violation of the human rights of any non-heterosexual-male-Muslim, then be my guest. Just realize that you'll always be a minority in any developed nation that gives a damn about egalitarianism and progress.

Have fun in the Dark Ages.
if that even became a remote possibility in the future I'd emigrate as soon as I could upon the realisation.
Original post by Green Marble
No, because Britain would be a horrible, horrible backwards place. Islam destroys societies, it does not improve or add anything of value to them

muslims do not even want to live in muslim countries

A country with a majority Muslim demographic is different to a country that is governed under the Shari'ah. It could be argued that Somalia / Turkey has a majority Muslim population, although they're not ruled under Islamic law.

For instance, people leave Somalia because of the Civil war happening in their country or people leave other Islamic states due to poverty as a result of war or famine. It's not because they don't want to be Muslims.
A country with a majority Muslim demographic is different to a country that is governed under the Shari'ah. It could be argued that Somalia / Turkey has a majority Muslim population, although they're not ruled under Islamic law.

For instance, people leave Somalia because of the Civil war happening in their country or people leave other Islamic states due to poverty as a result of war or famine. It's not because they don't want to be Muslims.

Muslims countries are horrible awful places which is why they are desperate to live in the west. What country do you live in ??
I'll definitely be happy with this! Islam is one of the most peaceful religions if not THE most peaceful religion in the world! Any one who thinks otherwise is an idiot and needs to do their research. Let the Islamic Shariah Law take over Britain!
I think religion and state shouldn't mix, so no.

Edit: I'm assuming OP's definition of "Islamic country" involves Sharia Law being implemented.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Green Marble
Muslims countries are horrible awful places which is why they are desperate to live in the west. What country do you live in ??

England... They are not awful as a result of Islam, much rather a lack of Islam.
England... They are not awful as a result of Islam, much rather a lack of Islam.

You live in ENGLAND. I rest my case
Reply 56
I don't expect people to approve, no. However, you've suggested this to be a hypothetical scenario. The questions is asking me whether or not 'I would' approve if the UK became in Islamic country in which I answered 'yes, I would'.

Ok, I'll ask a different question.

If you were given the power to be able make the UK an Islamic country, would you do it?
Its all just magnification in the end. In the grand scheme of things, it won't really be a big deal when the human race dies out. But at the magnification you and your little lifespan are at, things such as Islam taking over would seem important.

I think the kinds of things we're talking about are usually much more gradual than our little lifespans though. I mean, the population of Muslims in Britain has been increasing since the early 1900's, it's still nowhere near being a Muslim country. By the time we're all dead, I think it will still be nowhere near a Muslim country, barring the unlikely event of some kind of imperial invasion.
Reply 58
People just getting hyped up for no reason
Original post by felamaslen
You got Turkey the wrong way round (it is turning from secularism to Islamism).

My bad

Would you say the same about Britain turning into a fascist state?

Probably not, becoming a fascist state seems like the kind of thing that would happen a lot more suddenly, to more noticeable effect. Whereas a gradual change in a country's major religion, as a result of Muslims having higher birth rates (as is the case now), as opposed to an Islamist political party simply seizing control and taking over - I don't think it's going to make much of a difference to any individual person's life. Perhaps the proportion of Muslims will be a few percentage points higher by the time they die, compared to when they were born.

Latest

Trending

Trending