The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Would you be happy with the idea of the UK becoming an Islamic country in the future?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Even the fact that you are asking and considering the question makes me so so angry.
I can't believe you want to put foreign policies before your own. Only a tiny minority is Muslim in this country.
Why of earth would you want to appease THEM for gods sake.
Britain needs a backbone.
STOP TRYING TO CHANGE HOW BRITAIN IS RULED AND HOW IT'S ALWAYS BEEN!!!! -_-
Reply 81
Original post by Hasan24
i think the main reason why people are scared of such a thing happening is because they see other Islamic countries doing things like imposing the death penalty for apostasy, but some of these punishments are actually not Islamic at all. You cannot be killed for apostasy

I think the main reason why people don't take Muslim apologists seriously is because they see people like you come out with blatant lies like the above.

Punishment for apostasy has been ingrained not only in all four madhahib of Sunni sects but also in Shi'a jurisprudence.

This abhorrent ruling was established because of, among other sources, the following "authentic" ahadeeth attributed to Muhammad:

"Whoever changes his religion, kill him."

"The blood of a Muslim cannot be shed except in three cases: for murder, a married person who commits illegal sexual intercourse, and the one who reverts from Islam (apostate) and leaves the Muslims."
Reply 82
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Yes, of course.

So don't you see that you being in this country is as inappropriate as homosexuals being in Mecca? I value my countries culture and liberal values a great deal (which is why I am concerned about Islam), so surely you understand why I (and many others) dislike the idea of Islam and its followers being in this country.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by thunder_chunky
Hell no. It doesn't belong in our legal system. Of course our legal system should always grow, improve, and evolve, but not with the inclusion of religious law. Also adding religious law would not mean evolution and improvement in my opinion.

That's the crux of it - a theocracy would undo all progress accomplished through rational efforts and would not only reset but also stagnate politics and society back to an archaic standard taken to be "final", "perfect", "timeless" and "complete" from thousands of years ago.

It's preferable to admit ignorance and mistakes in an effort to, as you say, "grow, improve and evolve" than to claim absolute infallible knowledge taken from one of countless mythologies and stick to it 'til the "end times".
Original post by KingBradly
So don't you see that you being in this country is as inappropriate as homosexuals being in Mecca? I value my countries culture and liberal values a great deal (which is why I am concerned about Islam), so surely you understand why I (and many others) dislike the idea of it being in this country.

And everyone is entitled to their own opinions, I don't refute that.
Original post by felamaslen
I was specifically talking about an Islamic state, not the religious makeup of the country

I think the religious makeup of the country has to be sufficiently Muslim before you can have an Islamic state in the first place. Otherwise it's not likely to last very long.

and to me an Islamic state is just as bad as a fascist state

Not to me.
Original post by tazarooni89
I think the religious makeup of the country has to be sufficiently Muslim before you can have an Islamic state in the first place. Otherwise it's not likely to last very long.

Not to me.

Sure, but it is possible to have Muslims without having an Islamic state. I wish to allow Islamic worship, but keep Islamic law away from the statute books.

I can't really think of any way in which an Islamic state is more free than a fascist state.
Reply 87
And everyone is entitled to their own opinions, I don't refute that.

But they wouldn't be if they were under Sharia Law.
(edited 9 years ago)
But they wouldn't be under Sharia Law.

I don't understand what you mean with this statement. You'd still be entitled to your own opinions under any law.
Original post by felamaslen
Sure, but it is possible to have Muslims without having an Islamic state. I wish to allow Islamic worship, but keep Islamic law away from the statute books.

I can't really think of any way in which an Islamic state is more free than a fascist state.

You're entitled to your opinion. Mine is that, a state which is more "free" isn't necessarily preferable. It depends on what exactly people are free or not free to do.
Reply 90
I don't understand what you mean with this statement. You'd still be entitled to your own opinions under any law.

I assumed when you said 'entitled to your opinions' you meant 'entitled to express your opinions'. Saying people are entitled to their own thoughts is fairly meaningless.

What kind of things would you implement under your Sharia Law?

What would the punishments be for:

Sodomy

Adultery

Apostasy

Blasphemy

Abortion

Not wearing veil
You're entitled to your opinion. Mine is that, a state which is more "free" isn't necessarily preferable. It depends on what exactly people are free or not free to do.

Free to worship or not, free to criticise and deride religion, free to own property and elect their government, free to live their lives as they see fit in a pluralistic democracy.
Original post by arxtra
That's the crux of it - a theocracy would undo all progress accomplished through rational efforts and would not only reset but also stagnate politics and society back to an archaic standard taken to be "final", "perfect", "timeless" and "complete" from thousands of years ago.

It's preferable to admit ignorance and mistakes in an effort to, as you say, "grow, improve and evolve" than to claim absolute infallible knowledge taken from one of countless mythologies and stick to it 'til the "end times".

Yep, bang on. Also, some might claim certain laws are based on religious law, however I don't believe the basic laws and basic moral rules we apply to ourselves stemmed from religion. I believe such things predate religion. And of course, theocracy is not necessary to further improve laws and lifestyles if a nation is already a first world nation and has the means, the intelligence, and the desire to better itself.

Until the secret/religious police kick down your door and drag you off to a dungeon to be tortured and executed.

In other words, true democracy and freedom is overrated.
Reply 94
Original post by arxtra
I think the main reason why people don't take Muslim apologists seriously is because they see people like you come out with blatant lies like the above.

Punishment for apostasy has been ingrained not only in all four madhahib of Sunni sects but also in Shi'a jurisprudence.

This abhorrent ruling was established because of, among other sources, the following "authentic" ahadeeth attributed to Muhammad:

"Whoever changes his religion, kill him."

"The blood of a Muslim cannot be shed except in three cases: for murder, a married person who commits illegal sexual intercourse, and the one who reverts from Islam (apostate) and leaves the Muslims."

actually, if you read the Qur'an, it says, many times that there is no
compulsion in religion. If someone turns from Islam, they can only be punished by death if they then actively work against the Muslims to destroy Islam. otherwise, if they are peaceful with us, then they must be left alone (which the Qur'an also says).
with regards to the Hadith quoted, you have to remember that things were very different then. This was a time when the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) himself was alive and leading the Muslims. If anyone became a Muslim, then left, it would mean that:
1. They had left even though the Prophet (PBUH) himself was the one who guided them. they could not have had a better guidance.
2. Due to the enmity between the Muslims and non-Muslims, those who left Islam would most likely then fight the Muslims.

Now, it's very different in that, if someone leaves Islam, it's more excusable as they may not have received the right guidance, and most people who leave Islam do not then fight against the Muslims. If they did, however, then the death penalty should be used.
Reply 95
id hate that :mad:
Reply 96
Original post by Hasan24
actually, if you read the Qur'an, it says, many times that there is no
compulsion in religion. If someone turns from Islam, they can only be punished by death if they then actively work against the Muslims to destroy Islam. otherwise, if they are peaceful with us, then they must be left alone (which the Qur'an also says).
with regards to the Hadith quoted, you have to remember that things were very different then. This was a time when the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) himself was alive and leading the Muslims. If anyone became a Muslim, then left, it would mean that:
1. They had left even though the Prophet (PBUH) himself was the one who guided them. they could not have had a better guidance.
2. Due to the enmity between the Muslims and non-Muslims, those who left Islam would most likely then fight the Muslims.

Now, it's very different in that, if someone leaves Islam, it's more excusable as they may not have received the right guidance, and most people who leave Islam do not then fight against the Muslims. If they did, however, then the death penalty should be used.

Can you specify what you mean by 'fight against Muslims'?
Reply 97
Can you specify what you mean by 'fight against Muslims'?

either physically fight (in war or otherwise) or preaching hatred against Islam.
No, that absolutely terrifies me! I'm not anti-Islamic, I respect the difference in culture and attitudes, but under no circumstances would I want to be subjected to their view of women and freedom. I like western society's values, I don't agree with their' s and it is vice versa. Respect is key...but no, no, no, I do not want to live in an Islamic country, I would not want t be oppressed.
I know someone out there is going to go 'blah, blah Islamic women are not oppressed, they agree to it, thing is...even their view of 'not oppressed' is severe oppression to me. Not to mention the extreme double-standards.
Reply 99
Original post by Hasan24
either physically fight (in war or otherwise) or preaching hatred against Islam.

So you think that someone expressing their views against Islam should be executed?

Do you think the Danish cartoonist who mocked Muhammad deserved to die?
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending