The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Would you be happy with the idea of the UK becoming an Islamic country in the future?

Poll

How do you feel about the idea of the UK becoming an Islamic country in the future?

Completely hypothetical question, the chances of whether it may happen are irrelevant.

EDIT: As some people don't seem to have got the picture, can I make it clear that I don't really want to hear people discussing whether its likely or not. It obviously isn't likely. I just want to get an idea of how people actually feel about Islam.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No, I would be devastated if it did

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KingBradly
Completely hypothetical question, the chances of whether it may happen are irrelevant.

The chances of whether it may happen is directly relevant to your last option 'the idea terrifies me'. There's no sense being terrified of something that's never going to happen.
Reply 3
Original post by PythianLegume
The chances of whether it may happen is directly relevant to your last option 'the idea terrifies me'. There's no sense being terrified of something that's never going to happen.

Yeh but some people are scared of ghosts and lots of other things which most people believe don't even exist. The point is I don't want to have a discussion about how likely it is, I just want to hear people's feelings about the hypothetical situation at hand.
Lol The Islamic republic of the united kingdom :biggrin::biggrin: Ye and our greatest export will turn into pita bread xd
In the grand scheme of things, I don't really think it's that big a deal.

I mean, you can't expect the demographics or values of a country to remain static for eternity. Egypt went from being a country where Ra and Osiris were worshipped, to a Muslim country. Italy went from Roman paganism to Roman Catholicism. Turkey is heading from Islam to secularism. If the UK ends up becoming a Muslim country, it'll be just another part of the evolution of society that is always taking place.
Reply 6
Why would any level headed, reasonable person be happy with that? :lolwut:

No. I'd rather that the UK became non-religious, because there are many more non-religious people or people from other religions in the country than there were before. That way each religion would be treated equally by the state.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by tazarooni89

I mean, you can't expect the demographics or values of a country to remain static for eternity. Egypt went from being a country where Ra and Osiris were worshipped, to a Muslim country. Italy went from Roman paganism to Roman Catholicism. Turkey is heading from Islam to secularism. If the UK ends up becoming a Muslim country, it'll be just another part of the evolution of society that is always taking place.

Its all just magnification in the end. In the grand scheme of things, it won't really be a big deal when the human race dies out. But at the magnification you and your little lifespan are at, things such as Islam taking over would seem important.
Scaremongering threads like this annoy me.

It will never happen.

Don't use halal meat as an example as that is irrelevant to this country becoming Muslim. Britain encourages religious pluralism - why are you rallying up a band of people to oppose this ideal?

The bottom line is, this country will never become an Islamic one - never.
It seems unlikely, whilst there are a lot of deeply Islamic people in the UK they mainly seem to be middle aged adults, their offspring have grown up with Western values around them and so are likely to not follow Islam to the word, much like most Christian children these days are more likely to view the Bible as a guideline rather than a law book that must be obeyed.
"The chances of it happening or not are irrelevant" - really. So you said this because you know it will never happen yet why would ask the question? I know why, to scare the good people of Britain into thinking Islam's a threat to its ideals - individuals are but not the majority. Stop spamming your hatred all over TSR.
This fear of the UK becoming a muslim country is what you call a moral panic. Just because a couple of places are serving halal meat, doesn't mean kids are going to have to start saying arabic prayers before they start school etc. This country will continue to be how it has always been, trust me there's bigger problems to worry about in this country

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol @ this thread.
Reply 14
Original post by justanotherposter
It seems unlikely, whilst there are a lot of deeply Islamic people in the UK they mainly seem to be middle aged adults, their offspring have grown up with Western values around them and so are likely to not follow Islam to the word, much like most Christian children these days are more likely to view the Bible as a guideline rather than a law book that must be obeyed.

Again, I don't really want to hear people discussing whether its likely or not. It obviously isn't likely. I just want to get an idea of how people actually feel about Islam.
Maybe we should just abolish religion altogether so this kind of moral panic doesn't have to exist, and consequently there would be one less thing for us to discriminate upon.
Reply 16
Original post by Abdul-Karim
lol @ this thread.

How would you feel about it?
Original post by tazarooni89

But all of these are progression, apart from Egypt going muslim.
Depends how it would affect things. I would have a problem with there being national internet filters, sex outside of marriage being illegal, women not being allowed to drive, no one being allowed to eat in public during Ramadan, not being able to show bare arms and legs when it's hot, etc etc. I know this is what happens in some Islamic states, and it wouldn't be somewhere I'd want to live permanently, compared to the freedom we have now.
How would you feel about it?

Would prefer it, obviously

Latest

Trending

Trending