The Student Room Group

Unit 2: Sources of Law 2nd June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Aaronfm2
Hey this is a massive request so I'm not going to be surprised if no one does it haha but I really need help with structure etc. since It's not too clear what I have to do to get 100% of the marks on a statutory interpretation question... It would be amazing if someone could attempt answering this question for me (how they would in an exam): "Describe the Literal Rule using source A and cases to illustrate your answer"

(The Exam Paper: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/66771-question-paper-unit-g152-sources-of-law.pdf )
(The Mark Scheme: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/65446-mark-scheme-unit-g152-sources-of-law-january.pdf )

Its the January 2011 Paper which had questions on Statutory Interpretation and Judicial Precedent so its probably quite useful since those are the two most likely this year.

Thanks guys :smile:

Sorry if my writings a little hard to read but thats all you need to get 15/15 which is why i really hope the stat questions this year is straight forward :smile:*The paper i did is the january 2010 one.
Original post by lolly12
Sorry if my writings a little hard to read but thats all you need to get 15/15 which is why i really hope the stat questions this year is straight forward :smile:*The paper i did is the january 2010 one.

The picture wont load:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by swagyolo420
The picture wont load:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you sure?
Its loading for me :s
I'll try to upload it again tonight but this time from my laptop and not my phone.
Original post by lolly12
Are you sure?
Its loading for me :s
I'll try to upload it again tonight but this time from my laptop and not my phone.

Cool thank ya!(:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lolly12
I've been getting 15 out of 15 for all my stat essays in class so i'll take a picture of how to get 100% on a literal rule one :smile:
My law teacher has been marking for OCR for around 7 years so she knows what shes doing.
The struture for any of the 'Describe ...... rule' is a definiton, extended definition, quote and 3 well explained cases :smile:

sorry! thought I said thank you hours ago but it must of not posted properly!!!! but thank you!!!!!!! it helped loads!!!!!!! and I actually want stat interpretation to show up now haha :smile:

Good Luck with your exam on monday :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by Aaronfm2
sorry! thought I said thank you hours ago but it must of not posted properly!!!! but thank you!!!!!!! it helped loads!!!!!!! and I actually want stat interpretation to show up now haha :smile:

Good Luck with your exam on monday :smile:

No problem, glad it helped :smile:
Good luck to you too :smile:
Hi guys, just wondering what the max out of 60 i could get if i didn't know any cases? I do know a fair few cases, but was just wondering as I haven't got much time to learn loads more. Thanks
Original post by james9309
Hi guys, just wondering what the max out of 60 i could get if i didn't know any cases? I do know a fair few cases, but was just wondering as I haven't got much time to learn loads more. Thanks

I think as long as you know the popular, well known cases as evidence for each rule being used you'll be fine, (e.g whitely v chappel and r v berriman for the literal rule, r v allen and re v sigsworth for the golden rule and so on)

With judicial precedent its useful to know some examples but these are also easy, e.g original precdent= donohugh v stevenson.

It might also be useful to know some cases examples of the practice statement.

Cases are quite important in sources, more so than ELS, but as you said you don't have enough time so just learning one or two for each rule and precedent should be fine:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28

You cant get into level 4 in stat (12-15 marks) without 3 cases for each rule.
I think as long as you know the popular, well known cases as evidence for each rule being used you'll be fine, (e.g whitely v chappel and r v berriman for the literal rule, r v allen and re v sigsworth for the golden rule and so on)

With judicial precedent its useful to know some examples but these are also easy, e.g original precdent= donohugh v stevenson.

It might also be useful to know some cases examples of the practice statement.

Cases are quite important in sources, more so than ELS, but as you said you don't have enough time so just learning one or two for each rule and precedent should be fine:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks, I know cases on practice statement already, so that's good! :smile:
Reply 30
does anyone know how to answer advantages and disadvantages of literal rule?
Original post by happy11
does anyone know how to answer advantages and disadvantages of literal rule?

ADV: - upholds parliamentary sovereignty
- Law is easy to follow and understand
- Every case receives similar treatment
- Unelected judges don't make law

DIS: - assumes all acts are perfect
- It is mechanical and divorced from society
- cant cater for ambiguous words
- can lead to absurd decisions

Thats what i got:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats from the OCR book too. All 4 can be discussed aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you so much
What do we actually need to know for acts of parliament?

not done this since 2012 and the ocr book has parts u dont need.

Can someone explain what we need or if u have notes summarised on the topic that would be greAt
Reply 35

Not very high as each essay needs to have 3 cases included. For example, our teacher told us to learn 4 cases for each type of precedent and for the use of a practice statement. If necessary I can upload a list of cases we were told to learn.
Original post by asb95
Not very high as each essay needs to have 3 cases included. For example, our teacher told us to learn 4 cases for each type of precedent and for the use of a practice statement. If necessary I can upload a list of cases we were told to learn.

yeah if you wouldn't mind uploading the list that would be great, thanks :smile:
Original post by A sheesh
What do we actually need to know for acts of parliament?

not done this since 2012 and the ocr book has parts u dont need.

Can someone explain what we need or if u have notes summarised on the topic that would be greAt

I think its literally just the pre legislative process (green and white paper) then the process through parliament (lords and commons) then after that the royal assent (queens accepts the act and act becomes law at midnight)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is a cookie a biscuit or a cake? (Referring to the McVities 'Jaffa Cake' case in which it was being argued whether or not tax for Jaffa Cakes should be paid)
Reply 39
I think its literally just the pre legislative process (green and white paper) then the process through parliament (lords and commons) then after that the royal assent (queens accepts the act and act becomes law at midnight)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You get a mark for every stage of the process then an additional mark for a nit of explanation. Don't forget the marks for the questions are split : A01 /12, A03 /3 =/15

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending