The Student Room Group

AS AQA Mathematics Statistics 1B MS1B June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'm having a slight amount of difficulty with Q7a of June 2012 paper!
I fully understand the formula I'm using and that I'm using the central limit theory but I don't understand why in the markscheme the standard deviation is divided by 1000 to get 0.075. If anyone can shed any light on this it would be wonderful! I am fully aware I've left this pretty late!
The 75 is in millilitres and the bottles are 5 litres, so it's simply converting between the two :smile: Good luck for tomorrow
Reply 42
Oh thank you so much! How silly of me! Good luck to you too if you have the exam!
Hope this exam isn't like the June 2013 one
Reply 44
Original post by muonfrisbee98
Not feeling too confident about this tomorrow :frown: Do you think the core 1 and core 2 exams are a good indicator of the level of difficulty for this paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The general consensus is that if you aren't as good on the cores, you'll be better in statistics. But they're gonna throw stuff into this exam in a format that we've never seen, just like they did this year and last year. Good luck!
For calculating the residual is it:
Y-Y(with the hat on top) or
Y(with the hat on top) - y

Thanks
Reply 46
Original post by butterfly14567
For calculating the residual is it:
Y-Y(with the hat on top) or
Y(with the hat on top) - y

Thanks

Residual Value = Actual Value (from table of results) - Predicted Value (from regression formula)
Can someone help me with part a please?
Original post by Cluck
Don't forget the mutually exclusive and independence tests :smile:

What are these? :s-smilie:
Original post by Scarlett44

It is something to do with the fact that all data lies within 3 standard deviations of the mean, so all cuts of the dough are within 3 standard deviations of the mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emilylaurenmay
What are these? :s-smilie:

It is mutually exclusive if : P (AUB) = P (A) + P (B)
It is independent if : P (AnB) = P (A) × P (B)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by winniestar57
It is something to do with the fact that all data lies within 3 standard deviations of the mean, so all cuts of the dough are within 3 standard deviations of the mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is mutually exclusive if : P (AUB) = P (A) + P (B)
It is independent if : P (AnB) = P (A) × P (B)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are a life saver, thank you :smile:
Original post by emilylaurenmay
You are a life saver, thank you :smile:

No problem! Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's okay. Sorry I can't be more helpful with that question. It doesn't really make a lot of sense to me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's okay. Sorry I can't be more helpful with that question. It doesn't really make a lot of sense to me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah me neither, hopefully it won't come up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
the spec also states that you need to know how to calculate a residual as it's not in the formula booklet. Good luck to you all:smile:
all weights have to be within 2 to 3 standard deviations of the mean, so the standard deviation would be 10/3
Reply 58
Exam 2day at 12.50 anyone need help?
Reply 59
Original post by kas123
Exam 2day at 12.50 anyone need help?

Im not too sure about linear scaling, always seem to get the qs on it wrong:redface:

Quick Reply

Latest