The Student Room Group

Do you think taking a gap year before uni is a good idea?

Hi Guys :smile:

I'm thinking of taking a gap year before a go to university so I can relax and also save money by working as a barmaid.

If anyone else has done this or is doing the same now, it would be great to hear back. Thank youuuu
Reply 1
Yeah, it's a great idea.
Reply 2
Yeah i'm taking a gap year before uni :smile:

I'm hoping to go to Nicaragua with ICS and possibly Hawaii volunteering on a farm with WWOOF.

Can't wait.
Reply 3
I wouldn't advise it because:

-In first year you will probably get 4-5 months off for summer anyway (so you'll have plenty of time to chill then). You will find that this becomes boring by the final month - and if you are doing this fresh off the back of having a gap year it would be even worse

-Once you start earning money it can be hard to go back to being a broke student so you might find yourself never going to uni in the end

-It might be tough to go from not studying for an entire year to going back into full-time intensive study

-You'd probably get bored as your friends would all be studying so you would find yourself with nothing to do a lot of days

During school and college you think that having loads of time off would be the best thing ever, but when you get to uni and get long holidays you realise it's actually pretty boring.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Scott.M
I wouldn't advise it because:

-In first year you will probably get 4-5 months off for summer anyway (so you'll have plenty of time to chill then). You will find that this becomes boring by the final month - and if you are doing this fresh off the back of having a gap year it would be even worse

-Once you start earning money it can be hard to go back to being a broke student so you might find yourself never going to uni in the end

-It might be tough to go from not studying for an entire year to going back into full-time intensive study

-You'd probably get bored as your friends would all be studying so you would find yourself with nothing to do a lot of days

During school and college you think that having loads of time off would be the best thing ever, but when you get to uni and get long holidays you realise it's actually pretty boring.

Boring? I don't think you're spending your time/ money well.

1. Earn some money
2. Go travelling
Yes, taking a gap year was the best decision I ever made. It's good to spend time doing things more independently, something different fro your friends, you get to know who you are better which is a good thing to do before you start university + I saved a few grand as well as taking on an internship which has proven to be really helpful in getting more work exp & jobs.
i took a gap year this year to get my head straight and it's helped a lot. I changed my uni course, got my place for september sorted and i just feel much more satisfied with my decision. Don't rush into things, otherwise you might regret some stuff.
Reply 7
Thank you guys!!! :smile:
Gap Year is a good way to gain experience in the field of study or career path one wishes to undertake. Also, it gives the student a chance to save money for their further study. So, it will be a good idea if you take a gap year and take up employment during that time.
I'm coming to the end of my gap year now as I go back into education to start university in September. Having a gap year was probably one of the best decision I've ever made. I've worked full time since last August and I'm travelling America this summer. Not only does having this year mean I'm not going to be another university graduate coming out with some high flying degree but absolutely no experience of the real working world, I've also earned money to allow me to travel and have some extra left over for university.

One huge downside is watching your friends go to university. Their life gets so much more exciting and you feel a bit left behind stuck at home.

I'd definitely recommend at least considering a gap year and seeing what you could do with that time.
Original post by Hnavy95
Hi Guys :smile:

I'm thinking of taking a gap year before a go to university so I can relax and also save money by working as a barmaid.

If anyone else has done this or is doing the same now, it would be great to hear back. Thank youuuu

I originally took a gap year as I knew I wanted to go to university but changed my mind on the subject during applying in A2, so just took a gap year and applied then. It was good on that part because I went from being iffy on uni to really keen on the idea and wanting to go. I worked for 6 months after exams to save money, went to south-east Asia for 11 weeks in January, and now I'm back to working my menial supermarket job for 6 months again until I start uni in September. The only good bit was the travelling. I've hated the rest of it but that's mostly because of my job. I feel like my life is being wasted by doing it and I'll be behind everyone else at uni who went straight from school. It was horrible seeing all of my friends going this year too and having an amazing time during freshers etc. I kind of wish I travelled for longer, but it's a double-ended sword - if I didn't do a gap year I'd wish I did, and because I did, a part of me wishes I didn't.
Yes, go for it! At sixth form, I wasn't sure of what to do at university, and I was also super shy, and I didn't have the confidence. Okay, I haven't been travelling, but through volunteering with one of the world's leading wildlife parks (Howletts), I've grown a lot as a person. I've also found the perfect uni course for me, learnt a lot about animals and wildlife conservation, met new people, and in terms of how shy I am, I'm the complete opposite compared to this time last year, and generally had a blast, and I'm going to be so sad when it's time to leave Howletts! :frown: So yes, I'd say that it's good to take a gap year before uni, as long as you use the time well and are productive with it.

Good luck! :biggrin:
Anyone heard of Lattitude Global Volunteering? Hoping to take a gap year in Japan for 6 months and was wondering whether going with this company is a good idea

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest