The Student Room Group

I have nothing to put on my Personal Statement...

Okay so I'm applying for uni this year (I'm in year 12) and I think I want to do maths as that's the only thing I'm good at...) but I don't have anything to put on my Personal Statement? I haven't read any maths books or done any work experience and I don't do any Maths stuff outside of school? I'm really worried, so any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lightningdoritos

- Read some maths books.
- Do some further reading on some A Level topics that you enjoy.
... 。If you like calculus, first principle differentiation is a good place to start
... 。Set theory is pretty important to understanding functions on a deeper level

You have a while until you need to write your personal statement. It shouldn't take you long at all to write your personal statement once you've read a bit more about maths and have more of an idea of what it entails.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi there! :smile: Maybe you could read a few maths books over the summer or see if you could get some work experience somewhere that might include working with numbers?? I wouldn't worry too much though. You could put other things that you have done outside of school even if it seems irrelevant, any clubs or hobbies just to show you're a bit more rounded. Try and get across your enthusiasm about your subject and the fact that you really want to study maths and are willing to work hard. :smile: Also any other achievements you've had in school. There is probably loads more than you realise when you start thinking about the other stuff. Hope this helps. Good luck with your application and uni!! :biggrin:
Original post by Khallil
- Read some maths books.
- Do some further reading on some A Level topics that you enjoy.
... 。If you like calculus, first principle differentiation is a good place to start
... 。Set theory is pretty important to understanding functions on a deeper level

You have a while until you need to write your personal statement. It shouldn't take you long at all to write your personal statement once you've read a bit more about maths and have more of an idea of what it entails.

OKay thank you! What about stuff other than books? Any ideas? :smile:
OKay thank you! What about stuff other than books? Any ideas? :smile:

By the way, How to Think like a Mathematician is an excellent book - really good introduction to what it means to do maths.

A-level maths is not much like actual maths - A-level maths is the basics you need to go into applied maths at a higher level. Pure maths is something almost entirely different to A-level. This book introduces you to actual maths in a really comprehensible way.
Okay so I'm applying for uni this year (I'm in year 12) and I think I want to do maths as that's the only thing I'm good at...) but I don't have anything to put on my Personal Statement? I haven't read any maths books or done any work experience and I don't do any Maths stuff outside of school? I'm really worried, so any advice?

The good news is that no-one cares about the content of your Personal Statement when you apply for mathematics. They just want to know you are a capable mathematician. Playing an instrument, volunteering, mountaineering and writing poetry are all lovely but won't made the slightest difference to your chances. Reading Simon Singh or Marcus Du Sautoy won't help either.
Original post by Mr M
The good news is that no-one cares about the content of your Personal Statement when you apply for mathematics. They just want to know you are a capable mathematician. Playing an instrument, volunteering, mountaineering and writing poetry are all lovely but won't made the slightest difference to your chances. Reading Simon Singh or Marcus Du Sautoy won't help either.

But I have to write SOMETHING! :P What I mean is I can't show that I am good at maths..I didn't do maths challenge or any competitions...man I sound like I'm really bad at maths
But I have to write SOMETHING! :P What I mean is I can't show that I am good at maths..I didn't do maths challenge or any competitions...man I sound like I'm really bad at maths

You can boast about your UMS scores and say which areas of maths most interest you and why. You can also say you are kind to animals. Jobs a good 'un.
Original post by Mr M
You can boast about your UMS scores and say which areas of maths most interest you and why. You can also say you are kind to animals. Jobs a good 'un.

Is animal husbandry a feature of maths degrees? (Doesn't sound like it should be legal, frankly...)

OP, have you entered any maths competitions?
Original post by Mr M

whatever you do please do not do this.
Reply 10
Original post by Mr M

And you're a community assistant? :rolleyes:
Original post by Red one
And you're a community assistant? :rolleyes:

With a dry sense of humour....
Original post by danscott5696
whatever you do please do not do this.

Why? Dozens of my students have successfully secured places on maths degrees by following this tried and tested formula (including Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial etc).

carnationlilyrose
have you entered any maths competitions

A maths challenge gold or qualification for BMO1 is such a routine achievement that it is almost meaningless. Hardly worth mentioning in my opinion.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mr M
Why? Dozens of my students have successfully secured places on maths degrees by following this tried and tested formula (including Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial etc).

I don't recall ever writing that. I don't know what BMO1 even stands for.
Edit: I'm glad you've edited that. It knew it wasn't me. I hardly ever process maths applications.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by carnationlilyrose
With a dry sense of humour....

I'm not really being silly. A strong Personal Statement is not critical for maths applications.
Original post by Mr M

Its just bad etiquette because they won't rank you any higher than someone with the same grade because they can't see everyone elses ums. Get ur teacher to put the ums in their bit if u must
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mr M
I'm not really being silly. A strong Personal Statement is not critical for maths applications.
No, I know it isn't. It's all about numbers with you guys.
So.....what's the final decision then? I'm thinking possibly combining it with Accounting too because that's an area that I'm interested in. Aiming for Durhum, Exeter, Newcastle, Lancaster, and Glasgow
Original post by Mr M
A maths challenge gold or qualification for BMO1 is such a routine achievement that it is almost meaningless. Hardly worth mentioning in my opinion.

What about coming in the top 100 in BMO 1- like 40/60?
Hardly worth mentioning?
I agree- a gold in SMC is meaningless.
(edited 9 years ago)
If you're in Y12 then won't you be applying next year?

Either way I would worry about it I wrote my PS for maths in 2.5hours (not even joking) and I had very little to talk about so I just honestly wrote what I liked about maths and made it seem like I was interested which was easy as I was interested. Even my college tutor said I must have worked really hard on the PS haaaaaa.

Got all offers and just started a few weeks back.

Bottom line I don't think it is that important so don't worry about it at all.

Quick Reply

Latest