The Student Room Group

Girls, who/what puts the most pressure on you to look good?

Scroll to see replies

The society. It's acceptable to go grocery shopping without makeup and in sweats in the US (or the part I lived in). I'd get so many dirty looks around here if I took trash out dressed like that - people are not afraid to openly stare and judge you.
I miss the 'It's not my business' attitude. :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bassetts
I don't need to know you. All I need to know is you're a human being. Unless you literally go out in pyjamas all the time looking like a tramp, then you feel pressure to look good, whether that pressure is felt consciously or unconsciously.

I don't go out in pajamas because there are ALL the clothing options that I could choose. Why would I want to be a tramp when I can be 1950s pin-up girl, a steampunk heroine or a character in an indie movie with a kickass soundtrack? And when I don't want to be any of those I throw on jeans and a t-shirt and don't give a **** what people think.
Reply 22
Didn't vote because I don't believe anyone puts pressure on me to look good and if they do I ignore it and in fact feel more inclined to stay the way I am because they're telling me to.
Yes I'm one of those people who follows their own guidelines and doesn't allow anyone else to tell me otherwise.
We're all individuals at the end of the day :smile:
I don't know. To be honest I share a lot of taste with my mum so she's bought me some really nice dresses before. As a rule though I wear what makes me happy, if I think it's pretty and it's flattering then I like it, even when my brother slags it off, or one of my mates who likes to tell me I look like a 40's housewife. That's the point. I don't read celebrity magazines as a rule but I read a fair few last summer during my breaks and they're relentless, if I read them on a regular basis I would have so many more body hang-ups than I do. I can see why my mum banned them!
(edited 9 years ago)
i only really make an effort to look alright for my boyfriend ahha. looking good generally isn't a priority for me though
boys and other girls im jealous of :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
A mix of guys and other girls. I voted for guys because I tend to dress up when I'm with them because I want to impress them and leave a good impression of myself :smile:

And also from other girls- you know the ones that have a perfect slim body and beautiful makeup...
Original post by strawberrysnow
A mix of guys and other girls. I voted for guys because I tend to dress up when I'm with them because I want to impress them and leave a good impression of myself :smile:

And also from other girls- you know the ones that have a perfect slim body and beautiful makeup...

same here sister :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would also say myself tbh...
Reply 29
Tbh I just think it's society... Young girls like myself are pressured into looking good but I dress and look as I want

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
I don't really see why beautiful girls need to expose their beautiful bodies to dogs that are after only one thing..I think it's sad and disgusting and needs to be taken notice of

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by Wardaa_
I don't really see why beautiful girls need to expose their beautiful bodies to dogs that are after only one thing..I think it's sad and disgusting and needs to be taken notice of

Posted from TSR Mobile
No one's forcing them to expose their bodies. They're doing it out of their own free will. What does that tell you?
Reply 32
Yeah I agree with you on that, but I just think it's sad

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Honestly I'd say the media. Because I want to be apart of it someday. I have dreams lol So I want to look the part. That is all.
I like to look good, I don't feel pressure exactly but I like to look attractive on a daily basis. I guess I set my own standards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No one's forcing them to expose their bodies. They're doing it out of their own free will. What does that tell you?

Not all girls who try to look good do that.

I personally feel pressured by guys and girls. I'm pretty sure I used to get bullied because I'm not pretty naturally. Now I wear makeup every time I go out my front door without fail, because I know people will judge me if I don't look okay. I don't want to be looked down on just because of the way I look. It's wrong and it's why I don't judge other people for it.

Now everyone treats me really nicely. I'm not sure if it's because they've grown up or if it's because they don't judge me anymore as I look better.
I agree with the person who said society. There's an expectation to look your best.
Last GF's whole uni course was mostly girls and they pretty much competed with each other to look the hottest. GF used to spend entire days shopping for a dress for one night out so she could look better than the other girls on her course. She'd moan as well about how the beautiful italian girl was going to beat her again if she couldn't find a good dress. rofl

"If I don't look good I'll be silently judged by the other girls and given disapproving looks." Her words haha.

She definately looked extremely glamorous and classy every time she went out though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 37
I guess when I was younger it was other girls but now I'm older I dress up because it makes me feel more confident I suppose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't need to know you. All I need to know is you're a human being. Unless you literally go out in pyjamas all the time looking like a tramp, then you feel pressure to look good, whether that pressure is felt consciously or unconsciously.

Mum and sisters are other girls, so pick the option 'other girls'.

If you were really so good at reading people it wouldn't have taken you till 24 to lose your virginity.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I don't go out in pajamas because there are ALL the clothing options that I could choose. Why would I want to be a tramp when I can be 1950s pin-up girl, a steampunk heroine or a character in an indie movie with a kickass soundtrack? And when I don't want to be any of those I throw on jeans and a t-shirt and don't give a **** what people think.

This. Why pick boring when you can have fun? It's nothing about other people

Quick Reply

Latest