The Student Room Group

Girls, who/what puts the most pressure on you to look good?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
If you were so good at reading people it wouldn't have taken you till 24 to lose your virginity.
Correction, 23 (and for the record, I'm still 23).

And how does reading people have anything to do with losing your virginity? :confused:
Original post by Bassetts
Correction, 23 (and for the record, I'm still 23).

And how does reading people have anything to do with losing your virginity? :confused:

Social signals and interaction with human beings
Most things... if you allow it :smile:
Social signals and interaction with human beings

I don't see how the two are relevant, you made that comment out of complete spite.
Original post by giraudoux
I don't see how the two are relevant, you made that comment out of complete spite.

If you were good socially and able to read people well, you would have been able to get laid.

Yeah, he follows me around constantly commenting about m family being rich in order to attempt to discredit me. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw bricks
obviously from a lot of people saying it's from themselves the root of this pressure to look good is ingrained from our patriarchal society eenforced by friends family, coworkers bosses teachers -people of authority, the media and other things

They say they do it for themselves - they have to look good physically before they mentally feel good about themselves, that isnt free thinking.

Anyway i dont know why this topic is exclusively aimed at girls when there is also growing pressure especially to younger boys & men to also look good, I mean even I as a boy am going to start going to a gym and going on bulking diets to build muscle because i dont feel comfortablle in my body as ive placed a muscled physique as my ideal or even as the norm to me, was that my choice? No there have been many outside influences but oh well
If you were really so good at reading people it wouldn't have taken you till 24 to lose your virginity.

Facebook puts so much pressure on me. People only post photos of themselves looking their best and being happy, but you don't notice this when you're looking through your timeline and only see everyone looking attractive and happy

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you were good socially and able to read people well, you would have been able to get laid.

Yeah, he follows me around constantly commenting about m family being rich in order to attempt to discredit me. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw bricks

That doesn't include people who actually want there first time to mean something. What if they haven't found the right person yet?

Let's say he does annoy you,
It was still
BELOW THE BELT... Ba Dum dum

I know, I'm childish.
(edited 9 years ago)

Tbf it's easier for you because it can't be difficult to notice that everyone dislikes you so much. :lol:
Reply 50
Facebook timeline has to be the greatest pressure. Annoys me that some girls try to prove themselves by getting likes on posting stupid duckface/twerk and overly edited photos of themselves. In fact it puts me off girls. Having someone 'proclaimed' beautiful as a role-model like Ariana Grande will only promote poor self esteem. You are your beautiful self and will be till you die.
I dress up for myself tbh. I like looking good. I mean if I think I look good in a certain outfit and someone else says I don't I really wouldn't care. I'd still think I look good. I like seeing a well dressed, nice looking person in the mirror. I'm not doing it to attract or please others.

The only times I dress to impress others is when going to interviews. When trying to get a job or get into uni/college.
GIRLS by far
I dress completely how I like, I don't why I would let anyone make me feel pressured into doing something.I dress kind of boyish, but my boyfriend likes that, he hates make-up too. I really don't care about what other girls think in the slightest and I don't need to worry about looking attractive to other boys, plus my family couldn't care less about what I look like and I don't go to parties or anything like that. I'm very happy like that.
Reply 54
I blame it on society...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think its like a vicious circle, the media portrays an image of what all girls 'should' look like, the guys see this and believe that all girls 'should' look like this.. Then here we are trying to impress the guys because of the media? Just my theory :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by MeganConway
I think its like a vicious circle, the media portrays an image of what all girls 'should' look like, the guys see this and believe that all girls 'should' look like this.. Then here we are trying to impress the guys because of the media? Just my theory :smile:

I don't think any girls should look like what they are portrayed to be in the media. I prefer girls with healthy weight that just be themselves
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ciarán1
I don't think any girls should look like what they are portrayed to be in the media. I prefer girls with healthy weight that just be themselves

I agree entirely but this was a thread asking what us girls believed put the most pressure onto us to look a 'certain way' :smile:
Original post by Ciarán1

I agree but the thing is, some guys care a lot about looks :/ I know a guy that wants to break up with his girlfriend (after like a year of dating) because she put on some weight and he feels that he is no longer 'sexually attracted to her' which is a big part of the relationship to him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I put the most pressure on myself to

Quick Reply

Latest