The Student Room Group

Philosophy Extended Essay

Hi

I've opted to do my extended essay in philosophy, but unsure how to structure it..
I am arguing for autonomy (the right to make your own choices) and against paternalism (making decisions for other people when you think it's in their best interests).
I'm just not sure how to lay out the arguments and analysis part, would it be something like:

Argument for autonomy
Counterargument against autonomy
Counter-counter argument

conclusion

or

Argument against paternalism
Counter argument for paternalism
Counter-Counter argument

Also, is it advisable to look at two or three main arguments and address each one separately, or be looking at multiple arguments and sort of weave them together in the same paragraphs?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thank you and good luck to any other ib-ers currently working on their EEs
Have you considered looking at it from a historical point of view as well?
I've found that the best Philosophy essays I've written (HL Philosophy) are thematically structured, is that an option for you? By discussing each topic almost simultaneously it shows a lot of really good evaluation and analysis skills which they like.

I would also maybe start by stating your thesis (your argument) and then make your first paragraph about your anti-thesis, so in this case, paternalism. This way it lays out a good structure for paternalism - a weakness - a combative strength of autonomy, which will keep your essay consistent with your thesis.

So a general structure could be:

1. Intro with thesis
2. Aspect of paternalism - a weakness of this - a combative strength of autonomy
3. Aspect of autonomy - a weakness of this - a strength of paternalism - a counter-counter argument showing a benefit of autonomy?
4. Aspect of paternalism - weakness - strength of autonomy
5. Conclusion
Reply 3
Thanks very much for the advice, this is so helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending